Setup & Software Discussions
2017 13" MacBook Pro [7th,2C,U] + RX Vega 56 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Mantiz Venus) + macOS...

2017 13" MacBook Pro [7th,2C,U] + RX Vega 56 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Mantiz Venus) + macOS 10.14.3 & Win10 [Eightarmedpet]  

RSS

Eightarmedpet
(@eightarmedpet)
Noble Member

Going to refrain from too much waffle (maybe).

I was getting frustrated with the amount of noise from my Razer Core V1, even when idle the fans are audible to the extent that I wasn't happy leaving it plugged in when not in use. I also may have mentioned I have had issues with my Ultrafine - primarily I am unable to drive it with any GPU (still waiting for any with TB3).

With those two considerations in mind I decided it was time for a new enclosure and my dream of a high end mini enclosure is never happening so time to accept it and go the other way - an enclosure that is a full on docking solution with the ability to upgrade/mod it.

OH hai Mantiz Venus.

System specs (model inc screen size, CPU, iGPU, dGPU, operating system)

13 Inch MacBook Pro, i5, 500GB SSD, 16GB ram - to be upgraded this year?

eGPU hardware 
LG 5K Ultrafine nightmare
Mantiz Venus in Space grey
2M Cable matters TB3 cable
Sapphire Vega 56 ref model (a bit hot and loud). RX 5700 XT on route (found on Amazon for £330 somehow).

Mods coming soon - trying to hunt out a PCIe riser that actually works.

Hardware pictures

Maybe.

Installation steps
It appears that unlike my Core V1 boot up is much more predictable (famous last words) requiring nothing more than rEFInd where previously I sometimes had to use the EFI Bootmanager as well or instead of. I can only assume its somehow related to the Ti83 vs Ti82 chip (the Core having the later).

I created another custom rEFInd theme based on an old Clover theme I designed for Corpnewt (if anyone dabbles in hacks they will prob know the guy) dropbox download here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/e1w4id31yy7glim/refind.zip?dl=0

In terminal:

• sudo mkdir /Volumes/ESP
    (you'll be asked for your password)
  • sudo mount -t msdos /dev/disk0s1 /Volumes/ESP
  • sudo bless --mount /Volumes/ESP --setBoot --file /Volumes/ESP/efi/refind/refind_x64.efi --shortform

Reboot, and you should be good.
I've disabled the webcams in W10 too but not sure if that's needed.

Benchmarks 
PUBG gets a good solid 60fps @1440.

Comments
The Mantiz Venus is better than I expected... 

The USB ports all appear to work (unlike the Core which was temperamental)
It's quite than expected as it appears Mantiz tweaked the design to include a 100 or 120mm fan rather than the original 80mm (best I double check the size - checked, its 120mm).
The build quality is higher than expected but maybe my expectations were low, I actually think it's on par with the Core but maybe not as nicely made as my Node Lite.

Due to the above I am able to keep the Mantiz plugged in at all times managing boot with rEFInd and having my headphones plugged into the Venus which helps hides cables when not in use. I have a Notctura fan which I had planned on popping in instead of the stock but the fans on my MacBook Pro are actually louder so I may not even bother, I had also planned on getting a semi passive PSU but again the stock one is quite than expected. I'll see how the 5700XT works out and reassess then. Still planning on getting the TB3 addd in card installed in the enclosure to directly drive my Ultrafine.

Couple of benchmark tests, looks to under performing? But H2D is oldish?

gpgpu
Screenshot 2019 08 30 at 10.25.58

This topic was modified 2 weeks ago

2017 13" MacBook Pro Touch Bar
GTX1060 + AKiTiO Thunder3 + Win10
GTX1070 + Sonnet Breakaway Box + Win10
GTX1070 + Razer Core V1 + Win10
Vega 56 + Razer Core V1 + macOS + Win10
Vega 56 + Mantiz Venus + macOS + W10

---

LG 5K Ultrafine flickering issue fix

itsage and nando4 liked
ReplyQuote
stoffer88
(@stoffer88)

Hey man. 

Thanks for the build-guide. Really looking forward to hearing how the 5700 XT works out in the Venus. They recommended this setup themselves in a support case I had with them after Vega 64 nitro+ got consistently undervolted in my setup (and I lost my patience) 

Would love to know when you're planning of testing the 5700 XT? 

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
Eightarmedpet
(@eightarmedpet)
Noble Member

@stoffer88 hey buddy, no worries!
What was happening with your Vega? 

I actually sent the 5700xt back, for two reasons..
1. No macOS support as of yet
2. Loop back performance loss is far greater than Polaris and Vega (info courtesy of @itsage).
The second is an issue that only effects folks like me who are unable to connect their monitor directly to their GPU.

In retrospect, despite the daft bargain I found I think sending back was the right choice, my current blower card gets so damn loud (although so does my MacBook) so dont really want another. The leaked MSI dual fan cooler cards that have leaked look really nice and maybe by the time they hit macOS drivers may be ready and as W10 drivers mature problem 2 should be fixed too.

---

ReplyQuote
Eightarmedpet
(@eightarmedpet)
Noble Member

Updated with a couple of benchmarks, worried my set up is under performing...
These were done on my 4K tv connected directly to my GPU, W10 resolution @1400 for gaming but Valley @1080 fullscreen.
No FPS noticeable increase in PUBG vs loopback interestingly.

---

ReplyQuote