Setup & Software Discussions
2017 13" MacBook Pro [7th,2C,U] + RX 580 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Gigabyte Gaming Box) + W...

2017 13" MacBook Pro [7th,2C,U] + RX 580 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Gigabyte Gaming Box) + Win10 [hornsandbraves]  

RSS

hornsandbraves
(@tlh_12345)

System specs:

Mid 2017 nTB 13″ MacBook Pro – i5-7360U/Iris Plus Graphics 640 iGPU/8GB RAM/128GB SSD + Windows 10 to Go on external SSD - Samsung T5 500GB

eGPU hardware:
Gigabyte Gaming Box AMD RX 580 8GB + TB3 cable

Installation steps: *here

1. Installed DDU and removed default Nvidia and AMD drivers - in Windows.
  2. Disabled PCI Express Root Port # 10 - 9D19 [connects to iSight camera] - in Windows.
  3. Installed rEFInd then added apple_set_os.efi to the ESP volume - in macOS.
  4. Connected eGPU to lower TB3 port [closest to TAB key] and select apple_set_os.efi before booting into Windows - in rEFInd.
  5. Downloaded and installed latest Radeon graphics drivers - in Windows.

Benchmarks:

I ran the AIDA64 Benchmark and was getting just 991 MB/s Memory Write/H2D speed.  After following this guide from @itsage to update the firmware of the eGPU I managed 2453 MB/s Memory Write/H2D speed.  (*The trial version of AIDA64 doesn't display Write Speed in the nice little printout but you can view the values if you save the results. Hence, no pictures here.)  The firmware update also solved some connection issues I was having on reboot in Windows.

Internal Display External Display

Comments:

I've used the eGPU almost exclusively to play Apex Legends when on-the-go, sitting in a café, during lunch etc.  It has really surpassed my expectations of what was possible on a base model MBP 13" which wasn't purchased with gaming in mind.  I installed FRAPS and have attempted to get some good readings on FPS during gameplay, but I'm not sure I'm confident with the numbers just yet.  FRAPS has reported between 60-118 average FPS at 1080p on max settings in Apex Legends.  If anyone has suggestions on how to better record and report gameplay FPS please let me know.  My son has a gaming PC (Ryzen 5 1400) running a AMD RX 570 4GB and I'd love to do some future comparison performance testing.

This topic was modified 2 months ago

2017 13" MBP non touch bar, 8GB Ram, 128 GB SSD, Gigabyte Gaming Box AMD RX 580 eGPU

itsage liked
ReplyQuote
OliverB
(@oliverb)
Noble Member

Posted by: Tlh_12345
  2. Disabled PCI Express Root Port # 10 - 9D19 [connects to iSight camera] - in Windows.

@tlh_12345
Are you sure that Step 2 (disabling PCI Express Root Port) is necessary?
Have you tried your setup without this step?
My wager is that it is not necessary at all in your build.

2018 15" MBP & 2015 13" MBP connected to RTX2080Ti GTX1080Ti GTX1080 Vega56 RX580 R9-290 GTX680

ReplyQuote
OliverB
(@oliverb)
Noble Member

@tlh_12345
One other thing: Apex Legends has a built-in FPS display. I used it once, so you need no FRAPS for it.

This post was modified 3 months ago

2018 15" MBP & 2015 13" MBP connected to RTX2080Ti GTX1080Ti GTX1080 Vega56 RX580 R9-290 GTX680

ReplyQuote
hornsandbraves
(@tlh_12345)

Posted by: OliverB

@tlh_12345
Are you sure that Step 2 (disabling PCI Express Root Port) is necessary?
Have you tried your setup without this step?
My wager is that it is not necessary at all in your build.

You are correct sir, I re-enabled PCI Express Root Port #10 - 9D19, re-booted, and it worked!

2017 13" MBP non touch bar, 8GB Ram, 128 GB SSD, Gigabyte Gaming Box AMD RX 580 eGPU

ReplyQuote
hornsandbraves
(@tlh_12345)

Posted by: OliverB

@tlh_12345
One other thing: Apex Legends has a built-in FPS display. I used it once, so you need no FRAPS for it.

You are correct, but what I’m looking for is something that will log the FPS in a csv.. The free version of FRAPs does a very limited amount of time, a matter of seconds.  I’d love to graph out the performance over an entire game to get a feel of how it handles all aspects.  Still trying to find the right software to accomplish the task!

ReplyQuote
nando4
(@nando4)
Noble Member Admin

You are correct, but what I’m looking for is something that will log the FPS in a csv.. The free version of FRAPs does a very limited amount of time, a matter of seconds.  I’d love to graph out the performance over an entire game to get a feel of how it handles all aspects.  Still trying to find the right software to accomplish the task!

Consider using hwinfo64 + FRAPS as described:

https://www.hwinfo.com/forum/Thread-Frame-Rate-Graphing

eGPU Setup 1.35    •    eGPU Port Bandwidth Reference Table    •    Several builds
2015 15" Dell Precision 7510 M1000M + GTX 1080 Ti @ 32Gbps-M2 (ADT-Link R43SG) + Win10

ReplyQuote
hornsandbraves
(@tlh_12345)

Unfortunately, I was unable to get hwinfo64 to load sensors without crashing.  However, I was able to get what I wanted out of FRAPs.

In Apex Legends I’m seeing an average of 67 FPS at 1080p on the internal laptop screen and an average of 83 FPS at 1080p on an external monitor.  I was surprised at the difference since benchmarking in Heaven didn’t show the same gap in FPS.

Also, I continue to have an issue with my Gigabyte gaming box being recognized in Windows.  I sometimes have to make sure the system is completely powered down and then disconnect power from the eGPU, disconnect TB3. Then plug everything back in and boot.  A little annoying especially since Mac OS recognizes it every time.  Thoughts?

ReplyQuote
intruder
(@intruder)

...In Apex Legends I’m seeing an average of 67 FPS at 1080p on the internal laptop screen and an average of 83 FPS at 1080p on an external monitor.  I was surprised at the difference since benchmarking in Heaven didn’t show the same gap in FPS....

As the FPS goes higher, the gap will get wider between internal and external screen fps scores (the GPU has to send more data back to internal screen). 
In Apex Legends, you are getting high FPS whereas in Heaven you are comparing average FPS which is low (~47 FPS).
Take a look at max fps in your Heaven benchmarks.

Laptop: Lenovo Y510P
eGPU: Gigabyte 1070 Mini OC
Current Build Link

ReplyQuote