2017 13" Non Touch Bar MacBook Pro + RX [email protected] (Sonnet Breakaway 350) + Win10 [theitsage]^  

RSS

theitsage
(@itsage)
Famed Member Admin
December 5, 2017 9:12 pm  

Here's another implementation entry for AMD Radeon eGPU in Windows Boot Camp. I used the same setup procedure as summarized in my RX Vega 56 eGPU.

System specs:

Mid 2017 nTB 13″ MacBook Pro – i5-7360U/Iris Plus Graphics 640 iGPU/8GB RAM/128GB SSD

eGPU hardware:

Sonnet Breakaway Box 350 + Radeon RX 580 + .5m Thunderbolt 3 cable

Installation steps:

1. Installed DDU and removed default Nvidia and AMD drivers - in Windows.
  2. Disabled PCI Express Root Port # 10 - 9D19 [connects to iSight camera] - in Windows.
  3. Installed rEFInd then added apple_set_os.efi to the ESP volume - in macOS.
  4. Connected eGPU to lower TB3 port [closest to TAB key] and select apple_set_os.efi before booting into Windows - in rEFInd.
  5. Downloaded and installed latest Radeon graphics drivers - in Windows.

Benchmarks:

One thing I have noticed with AIDA64 benchmark is that the Memory Write/H2D speed varies depending on the graphics cards. If you have a few graphics cards to test, please check with AIDA64 in Windows and let us know your observation. Here are some quick Unigine numbers through Internal and external display modes.

Internal Display External Display

Best ultrabooks for eGPU use

eGPU enclosure buying guide

86 external GPU build guides

nando4 liked
ReplyQuote
nombrescreeno
(@nombrescreeno)
Trusted Member
December 6, 2017 9:51 pm  

So is this the same ad the Vega with regard to error 12? That is, you need the efi to remove it?

Soon I will add my system & eGPU details or a build link to this my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
theitsage
(@itsage)
Famed Member Admin
December 6, 2017 9:58 pm  

Correct. Disable the PCIe bridge to iSight camera, then boot into Windows with apple_set_os.efi will resolve error 12 on AMD eGPU for the non Touch Bar 13" MacBook Pro.

ReplyQuote
hhdev
(@hhdev)
January 3, 2018 12:08 pm  

Did you test this setup on macOS 10.13.2 as well? Do you think it will be plug+play with a Macbook Pro 2016 15"?

Soon I will add my system & eGPU details or a build link to this my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
theitsage
(@itsage)
Famed Member Admin
January 4, 2018 3:16 pm  

@hhdev in macOS 10.13.2, this eGPU setup is plug-and-play. It's plenty of work for the 2016 15" MacBook Pro. Please refer to my Boot Camp setup guide.

ReplyQuote
Atlash
(@atlash)
January 16, 2018 1:53 am  
Posted by: theitsage

Correct. Disable the PCIe bridge to iSight camera, then boot into Windows with apple_set_os.efi will resolve error 12 on AMD eGPU for the non Touch Bar 13" MacBook Pro.

Hello theitsage!

It is valid for the late '16 versión? Because I'm trying but I can't make this work, I mean:

- I do install and use the graphics card.

-I followed every step and I do not get error 12 at the graphic card but there's a bridge that shows error 12. In addition, If I try to disable the Port 10, system freezes and crashes. What?!

-I'm trying to update the eGPU's firmware (Gigabyte Aorus Box) but it's imposible. I get to upload .bin screen but it gives me an error when trying to load the file. I fear it is not file corruption related, I've checked it out.

Could you lend me a hand?

Thanks in advance.

ReplyQuote
Atlash
(@atlash)
January 16, 2018 7:55 am  
Posted by: Atlash

Hello theitsage!

It is valid for the late '16 versión? Because I'm trying but I can't make this work, I mean:

- I do install and use the graphics card.

-I followed every step and I do not get error 12 at the graphic card but there's a bridge that shows error 12. In addition, If I try to disable the Port 10, system freezes and crashes. What?!

-I'm trying to update the eGPU's firmware (Gigabyte Aorus Box) but it's imposible. I get to upload .bin screen but it gives me an error when trying to load the file. I fear it is not file corruption related, I've checked it out.

Could you lend me a hand?

Thanks in advance.

OK, I've disabled Port 10 before connecting the eGPU and now error 12 at the bridge is solved. 

What's left is to update the firmware. I do see the root in the Thunderbolt updater but even hotplugging I am not able to launch the update properly.

Thanks in advance.

ReplyQuote
theitsage
(@itsage)
Famed Member Admin
January 16, 2018 4:10 pm  

@atlash take a look at this TBT firmware update procedure for Boot Camp.

Atlash liked
ReplyQuote
Atlash
(@atlash)
January 16, 2018 4:14 pm  

@atlash take a look at this TBT firmware update procedure for Boot Camp.

Followed from top to bottom, including variants I've found along the way. It resist to show the GIGABYTE XXXXXX under the device root (#Hurdle 3). I can select the root but eventually I receive an error when clicking Next after next step (it cannot load the firmware).

ReplyQuote
theitsage
(@itsage)
Famed Member Admin
January 16, 2018 5:45 pm  

You can always remove the GPU from the enclosure if there's nothing showing under Port #1 when running the TBT Firmware Update Tool.

ReplyQuote
Atlash
(@atlash)
January 17, 2018 8:09 am  

You can always remove the GPU from the enclosure if there's nothing showing under Port #1 when running the TBT Firmware Update Tool.

Great! I got it!

I've hotplugged the box while Windows is loading at spinning circles screen. Later on I tried to replicate the process but had no luck. I think there's a timing that should be followed to be successful.

I want to thank you theitsage, goalque, RBeck and some users in another post like usafballer whose experience was invaluable. 

Finally, got the box updated. I offer my brief experience in case someone needs help with this model (mine's the 2016 model) 😉

theitsage liked
ReplyQuote