2017 14" Lenovo ThinkPad X1 Carbon + [email protected] (Aorus Gaming Box) + Win10 [Junstar]^  

RSS

Junstar
(@junstar)
November 25, 2017 8:38 am  

I haven't seen my specific combo yet, so I'd like to contribute to this fantastic forum.

The X1 Carbon has an Intel i5-7300U, 16Gb RAM, 256GB SSD, and a 1080p panel and works incredibly well with the Gaming Box due to having full 4x PCIe lanes. I'm using the internal monitor because I actually use this setup on the go when I travel for work (airline pilot).

I would love to post pictures and screenshots of some numbers, but currently unable.

Getting it paired up was super easy, it was essentially plug and play (after firmware update). As soon as I plugged it in, the Thunderbolt controller recognized it and installed the appropriate drivers. Then I installed the Nvidia driver (384.76) provided on the Aorus website and it was ready to go (kinda). Upon checking CUDA-Z, however, the Host to Device (H2D) speed was only about 11xx MiB/s, which prompted me to update the firmware to F1.0 H2D. Luckily I was still on Thunderbolt v16.2 and had no issues with the firmware update. This resulted in achieving the full expected H2D speeds at 22xx MiB/s. Finally, I had to make a quick change in the Nvidia Control Panel under "Preferred Graphics Processor" options; from "Auto" -> "High Performance Nvidia Processor." This forces it to use the eGPU instead of the iGPU. Done.

I have plenty of screenshots and benchmarks I can share, but for now I'll provide it in text for now.

Before & After Firmware Update (F1.0 H2D)

Benchmarks (All Internal Screen)

Rise of the Tomb Raider (1080p, DX11 Very High, PureHair Very High, Everything ON)

Batman: Arkham Knight (1080p, Ultra Settings, Gameworks Off)

Batman: Arkham Knight (1080p, Ultra Settings, Gameworks ON)

GTA V Benchmark (1080p, Very High)

• 60-83 FPS (MSAA Off)
  • 52-68 FPS (4x MSAA)

Rocket League (1080p, High Quality, MLAA)

• 120-140 FPS Online 3v3
  • 110-140 FPS Aquadome 3v3 Bots

Destiny 2 (1080p, High Preset)

• 50-100 FPS depending on location and player density
  • 60-90 FPS Crucible 4v4

Overwatch (1080p, Epic Preset)

• 70-100 FPS

Let me know what other games or benchmarks you'd like to see. Thanks!

Edit1: added screenshots and formatting

Edit2: Added more benchmarks

Soon I will add my system & eGPU details or a build link to this my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
Flash315
(@flash315)
November 25, 2017 3:50 pm  

I'm looking to get the 1080 version of that box,  I have a A Lenovo 920,  i7 8550U 1Tb SSD 4k Display,  with 16GB ram, that has TB3 4X ports as well,  those are really decent frame rates on an i5 I must say

I think the only problem I'm going to have is my external monitor is 4k 100hz 4ms refresh rt not sure if that will bottle neck bandwidth

Soon I will add my system & eGPU details or a build link to this my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
Junstar
(@junstar)
November 25, 2017 6:48 pm  

I don't think the 4K monitor will be a bottleneck at all. If anything, the GTX1080 might have a hard time maintaining 100FPS in all games at 4K to get the most out of the 100Hz refresh rate. Other than that, I think that setup would be great.

IIRC, the i5-7300U is pretty much the same as the i7-7500U variant, only difference being that it's clocked 100MHz slower and has 1MB less cache memory. So, as expected, it should perform about the same.  That quad-core i7-8550U should be much better than these though!

ReplyQuote