2017 15" MacBook Pro (RP560) [7th,4C,H] + RX Vega [email protected] 32Gbps-TB3 (Razer Core) + ...

Notifications
Clear all

2017 15" MacBook Pro (RP560) [7th,4C,H] + RX Vega [email protected] 32Gbps-TB3 (Razer Core) + macOS 10.15.2 & Win10 [jonwatso]  

RSS

jonwatso
(@jonwatso)
Trusted Member

System specs: 

• MacBook Pro 15-Inch, 2017
  • 3.1Ghz Quad Core Intel Core i7 (7920HQ)
  • 16GB of 2133MHz of LPDDR3
  • Intel HD 630 / Radeon Pro 560

eGPU Hardware: 

Hardware Pictures:

IMG 0432

IMG 0433 2

Installation Steps for macOS :

The eGPU setup has become incredibly easy over the years since native eGPU support was added. With the radeon Vega cards, it's simply plug and play and no additional steps are required. 

Installation Steps for Windows 10 :

I haven't had much luck in the past with getting past eGPU's to work in windows. It was one of those things which required a lot of time and effort in order to get things running and in the end I would usually give up booting into windows again in order to avoid the hassle of getting the eGPU running. Luckily that is no longer the case with the wonderful EFI setup that goalque has provided us. I followed the great guide by ITSAGE to get bootcamp running, the whole setup was very easy and makes using the eGPU in windows a breeze. 

1. Install bootcamp
  2. Install the necessary boot camp drivers 
  3. reboot Windows into safe boot 
  4. create a restore point (just in case anything goes wrong)
  5. Install DDU and uninstall the AMD drivers 
  6. Create a USB stick with the goalque EFI files on it (Fat32 with Master boot record)
  7. Boot the Mac from the EFI USB, and press Q and load windows. 
  8. Check device manager to see that the iGPU is showing up as "Microsoft Basic Display Driver"
  9. Install Intel Graphics Drivers
  10. Shut down the Mac and plug in the eGPU
  11. Boot the Mac from the EFI USB, and press Q and load windows. 
  12. Windows should automatically detect the eGPU and install the drivers 
  13. You can also install the AMD drivers from bootcampdrivers.com in order to get better control of the GPU in windows. It is worth noting that this did cause some issues initially for me however rebooting Windows seemed to fix them. 
  14. Make sure to set the external screen as the primary screen for best results

Note: Every time you boot into windows you need to boot from the EFI USB in order for the dedicated GPU to be turned off and avoid issue. 

Issues within Windows 10:

• Bluetooth doesn't work if you restart from macOS, to fix this you must shut down the Mac.
  • Clamshell Mode does not work (The internal display can not be powered off, it can be disabled but the display stays on)
  • Plugging things into the USB-C ports can cause the Mac to become unstable and crash, it's best to plug things in before booting 

Comments: 

It's amazing how far the eGPU community has come since I did my first build. The whole process is incredibly easy from start to finish (especially if you have a TB3 Mac) and really makes using using an eGPU a real pleasure. I originally purchased an eGPU to be able to play more games and it has really filled that need, especially now with how easy it is to setup the eGPU in bootcamp. I can easily play games in high resolution with high frame rates without the need for a dedicated gaming PC. Obviously you are not getting the full performance of the card, but this setup is more than sufficient for my needs. 

It is worth noting that I originally had the liquid cooled version of this card, but opted to replace it with the air-cooled version. There were no performance gains from using the liquid cooled version  and I found the lack of air flow in the case somewhat hindered performance. the liquid cooled variant can easily fit in the Razer Core with its fan removed and no additional steps are required. 

IMG 0896
This topic was modified 1 month ago

2017 15" MacBook Pro RP560 i7 3.1Ghz - 16GB RAM
Razer Core + Gigabyte Vega 64 8GB
Dell 4K DELL P2715Q Display

nando4 and mac_editor liked
ReplyQuote
jonwatso
(@jonwatso)
Trusted Member

Windows 10 and Bootcamp Round 2

When I originally setup my bootcamp partition I set up with more space than I actually needed and given that I only have a small SSD I decided that it would be best if I follow ITSAGE's advice and use an external SSD to store my applications / games on. I originally wanted to have bootcamp fully installed on the External SSD, however that proved difficult and did not play well with the Automate-EFI USB boot so I abandoned my efforts to get this to work.

After repartitioning the bootcamp partition down to 50GB, I started my install of windows 10 (latest release). I followed the exact steps that I did when I originally set up my eGPU and then nothing. The EGPU would connect but the connection would be glitchy at best with the screen flickering. I then downloaded an older version of windows 10 (1903 via this handy website), after installing windows and following the steps I still had some issue's getting the eGPU to work. I decided to use the Curl command to format the USB stick which I have been using for automate eGPU and well that seemed to do the trick. 

The only issue I faced after all of this was poor GPU performance when playing games, however this was caused by me using the port next to the eGPU to connect my external SSD. Moving the SSD to the other side fixed this issue. 

This post was modified 2 months ago

2017 15" MacBook Pro RP560 i7 3.1Ghz - 16GB RAM
Razer Core + Gigabyte Vega 64 8GB
Dell 4K DELL P2715Q Display

ReplyQuote