2017 15" MacBook Pro (RP560) [7th,4C,H] + RX 580 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Sonnet Breakaway 550) + macOS 10.13.4 & Win10 [Bernie Yee]
- 2017 15" MacBook Pro
- i7-7820HQ, AMD Radeon Pro 560
- macOS 10.13.4 + Windows 10 1709
- To be added later
- Plug and play as the eGPU is automatically recognized by macOS
- Clamshell mode and hot-swapping works
- Windows 10 1709
- Clean installation of Windows along with the Boot Camp drivers
- Ran Apple Software Update to patch AMD drivers to 17.6
- Installed Intel Thunderbolt 3 drivers (supposedly optional)
- Reboot with eGPU plugged in
- Connected to the internet, drivers are automatically installed
- Clamshell mode and hot-swapping does not work
- Graphics Scores
- Fire Strike - 12550
- Time Spy - 4075
- Windows is finicky and sometimes doesn't recognize the eGPU on boot
- Disconnecting the eGPU and/or plugging it back in crash Windows
- Macbooks have Turbo Boost disabled and requires ThrottleStop to bypass
- Do not manually update drivers past WHQL ones from Windows Update as they will brick compatibility between the internal dGPU + the eGPU
Question, does your eGPU register 100% utilization when in macOS?
I have a sonnet 650 with a Radeon wx9100, and at most I can only get the activity monitor to read 60%
I'm trying to figure out where the issue lies, but so few builds exist like this.
@mechminded What applications are you running with the eGPU setup? I will be testing a similar setup soon. It's best if you create a new build guide using this template and start a new discussion there.
Damn, that would count as plug and play in both in IMO... maybe I'll grab a 15inch on the next refresh so I can have AMD for both OS.
2017 13" MacBook Pro Touch Bar
GTX1060 + AKiTiO Thunder3 + Win10
GTX1070 + Sonnet Breakaway Box + Win10
GTX1070 + Razer Core V1 + Win10
Vega 56 + Razer Core V1 + macOS + Win10
Vega 56 + Mantiz Venus + macOS + W10
I'm actually in the process of building a build link now. I'm running Nuke, Resolve, Blender, C4D, Photoscan, and Premiere. Nothing gets above 60%, see the screen cap below generated while using a nightly build of blender.
I've tried it with the external monitor plugged into the card, off a thunder dock, no external monitor, no dock, on every port, supplying power externally or via the sonnet, nothing seems to make much difference. made sure to split the buses up from the dock and the eGPU etc.
I created a build link here: