2017 15" Dell Inspiron 7567 (GTX1050) [7th,4C,H] + GTX 1080 @ 32Gbps-M2 (ADT-Lin...

Notifications
Clear all

2017 15" Dell Inspiron 7567 (GTX1050) [7th,4C,H] + GTX 1080 @ 32Gbps-M2 (ADT-Link R43SG) + Win10 [Nikhil Rao]  

RSS

Nikhil Rao
(@nikhil_rao)

Hello there, I'm new here! I've always wanted to try an eGPU setup ever since i saw the video about the EXP GDC Beast from LinusTechTips, but back then eGPU setups were still in their infancy and required quite a bit of tinkering. I didn't have the funds to buy the EXP GDC or a new GPU on the off chance that it even worked. Fast forward a couple of years, I'm 24 and building my first PC ever, thought it would be a good time to finally juice as much as I could from my trusty Dell 7567 one last time, it's served me well being hooked up to a 144hz display.

I started researching and came across this forums, and a thread about my exact laptop model being used for an eGPU build by Hunew. props to him/her!

While my plans of pc building were put on hold due to this whole COVID situation, I'm still able to get parts one at a time as they go on sale. Got a great deal on a Ryzen 5 2600 and MSI B450 Gaming plus Max bundle. (Yes the B450 Tomahawk max is preferred but hey, I'm still a student and every dollar i can save is worth it).

Originally i was going to go for the EVGA GTX 1660 Super OC, as all i want to play at a high frame rate is Overwatch (All low settings 75% render scale). I stumbled upon a deal i couldn't pass on, a "New-ish" GTX -1080 for $450 on kijiji.

I ordered the R43SG from aliexpress ($40 DHL shipping, worth it considering I'm waiting on a Bluetooth conversion kit for my KZ IEMs since 7th of March being shipped from china).

Corsair CX-M 650 from amazon for $70 since it was on sale.

Notebook

2017 15" Dell Inspiron 7567
i5-7300HQ 2.5GHz CPU
G-Skill Ripjaws 16GB DDR4 RAM
Nvidia GTX1050 dGPU+ Intel HD630 iGPU
1920x1080 TN Internal Display
1TB Toshiba 2.5" SATA drive (Stock)
Windows 10

External Monitor & Peripherals (Primary Display)

AOC G2590FX 144hz

VESA Monitor Arm

Desk got it for $75, has a metal frame so its quite sturdy.

Laptop "Stand" under my desk, just a coffee/side table, cheap material but does the job.

Laptop Cooler 

Steelseries QcK Large

Logitech G703 Lightspeed

Logitech G213 keyboard

Logitech G332 headset

eGPU Gear

ADT-Link R43SG M.2 to PCIe adapter 50cm
Asus ROG Strix GTX 1080 8GB
Corsair CX-M 650w

Installation

Setup was quite easy, almost to the point of "plug n play".

1. Connect all the hardware parts together. eGPU to R43SG. PSU to R43SG (24 pin) > Power out from R43SG to GPU (Cable is included, 8pin and 6pin headers) > R43SG M.2 Cable to Laptops M.2 port > HDMI / DisplayPort from eGPU to External Display.
  2. Remember to keep your PSU off while doing all of this, disconnected
  3. Turn on your PSU/eGPU first, and then your Laptop, if everything is done correctly, your GPU fans / Lights should turn on.
  4. Uninstall dGPU driver (GTX-1050 in my case) using DDU. This process is to be done in safe mode, but thanks to the amazing windows 10, it wouldn't let me login to safe mode because my password/pin was incorrect, so i just did it normally, thankfully it worked. Be sure to run this while disconnected from the internet
  5. Reboot and check if your dGPU is still showing in device manager. If it is, and it did for me, Right click and disable it.
  6. Install latest driver for eGPU (Latest driver for GTX-1080 is 445.87 for Windows 10 64bit).
  7. Check device manager, under display adapters. It should show the GTX-1080, but with an exclamation mark, when you right click on it and go into properties, it should give you error 43. In case you don't see it, reboot your laptop once again, I had to and then it showed up.
  8. Run nvidia-error43-fixer > reboot > profit!
  9. I used Hunews build guide as reference as he used the same notebook as me. He seemed to have to enable hot-swap on port#9 to install a GTX-10xx card, but maybe this was because he started with a GTX-9xx card. I've had no issues even though my port#9 shows hot swap to be disabled.

Hardware Pictures

A cheap side table i got from amazon way back, my psu fit right in and the height was perfect for the 50cm m.2 cable from the R43SG.

Benchmarks

Comments

Massive performance in AAA games that are GPU heavy. Witcher 3, GTA V, Monster Hunter World, Nier Automata, NFS Heat all run at ultra/max settings while maintaining 60+fps with vsync on. Warframe runs as expected but lets face it, that game is optimized pretty well and it used to run with everything maxed out on my dgpu.

Sadly, the one game i wanted the most performance boost for, Overwatch, doesn't gain much since it gets bottlenecked by my CPU. ( 96%CPU usage is like 2.8Ghz lol) Not very GPU intensive so i maybe get 20-30fps more? I was already running it at 90-150fps on my monitor, not much improvement.

This topic was modified 2 months ago

2017 15" Dell Inspiron 7567 i5-7300HQ GTX1050 | ADT-Link R43SG | Asus ROG Strix GTX 1080 8GB |

2017 15" Dell Inspiron 7567 (GTX1050) [7th,4C,H] + GTX 1080 @ 32Gbps-M2 (ADT-Link R43SG) + Win10 [build link]  

ReplyQuote