2017 15" Dell XPS 15 9560 (GTX1050) [7th,4C,H] + GTX 1080 @ 16Gbps-TB3 (AKiTiO Node) + Win10 [swegpu]
Greetings from Sweden!
First, thank you for all useful information on this forum and website.
I got this eGPU setup mainly for VR applications.
- Dell XPS 9560 (Intel Core i7-7700HQ, 4K screen, built-in discrete GTX 1050, 1TB M.2 PCIe SSD)
- Asus GTX 1080 Ti Founders Edition, a lovely 11GB memory in there
- Akitio Node
- Oculus Rift with Touch controls
- Windows 10
As people know this XPS has a limitation in the TB3 PCIe lanes, but reading on this forum I felt I was ready to lose ten or so percent of performance for external screens such as a VR headset.
- The Akitio Node TB3 cable is really short, like 50 cm. This is not a huge issue, but I would love to have a longer cable (2 meters?). However I keep reading about how longer cables may cause slower throughput ("only" 20 Gbps), but then the XPS TB3 is limited anyway so maybe it would not affect my setup?
- Google Earth VR keeps crashing on me. Specifically, it turns off the Akitio Node! I don't know the root cause of this problem, however I keep reading about other people having software crash issues with Google Earth VR. Also, maybe it is due to the built-in GTX 1050 messing around?
- 3DMark "Time Spy 1.0" Graphics Score 8054 (Graphics test 1 = 52.71 fps, Graphics test 2 = 46.02 fps), CPU Score 3398 = Overall score 6680.
- I Win+P Windows to use External Screen only, e.g. nothing was displayed on the XPS internal display.
- Also, the 1080 Ti was hooked to a rather old 1080p plasma TV, I don't know if this affects scores.
- I read somewhere else the 1080Ti gets a Graphics Score around 9500 on non eGPU setups, is this correct? If so I am losing around 20 percent performance. Still acceptable.
So far I have tested following VR applications. All give very nice gameplay.
- The Climb
- Tilt Brush
What other performance/testing should I run? Please comment and I will add it.
Greetings from the United States!
I have been looking into laptops and have found that I love the XPS 15 but the 1050 just isn't enough for the gaming I want. I'm still a beginner and would love it if you could give very detailed how-to for setting up everything and where to get drivers how to install them and anymore advise you might have.
I have your exact same setup. I downloaded Google Earth VR from Oculus store and when I try to load it just fails. I get no codes or anything. How did you get Google Earth VR to run on your XPS 15 and EGPU without crashing? Thanks in advance!