2018 15" HP Envy X360 [R2K,4C,U] + RX 580 @ 8Gbps-M2 (EXP GDC 8.5c) + Win10 [mas...

Notifications
Clear all

2018 15" HP Envy X360 [R2K,4C,U] + RX 580 @ 8Gbps-M2 (EXP GDC 8.5c) + Win10 [masriza_kurniawan]  

RSS

Masriza Kurniawan
(@masriza_kurniawan)

Hey guys, finally after 1 week usage and testing could post my experience of egpu build with ryzen u series laptop. so here we go.

System Specs:

• 15" HP ENVY x360 15 
  • Ryzen 5 2500u
  • 16GB RAM 2400Mhz
  • Vega 8 iGpu
  • Latest windows 10 2004

eGPU hardware:

Hardware pictures 

Installation steps:

Actually there is two version of installation I had tried, in UEFI mode and BIOS (Legacy Mode) and both of them give me different result so at the end I stick with Legacy mode. 

UEFI Installation:

1. Windows already installed, turn off the laptop
  2. Plug M.2 NGFF connector to wireless PCIe port
  3. EXP GDC is on default mode (ATX power always on is disabled)
  4. Plug in eGPU and PSU to power source
  5. Plug hdmi to ext monitor
  6. Turn on the laptop
  7. Boot up smoothly, because RX 580 bios is UEFI bios so no blackscreen or boot loop. but my working display now only on external monitor (even HP logo startup display and bios setting)
  8. Successfully boot to windows, eGPU detected as the only GPU in driver software, no need to uninstall VGA Driver because Vega 8 iGPu is the same family with RX 580
  9. Testing, FOUND OUT that my PCIe port locked at 2Gbps (PCIe gen 1.1) because of HP doing. hwinfo screenshot
  10. Looking for solution and found that eGPU setup 1.35 by nando4 could resolve this PCIe problem. But I have to install windows in MBR and run bios in legacy mode

Legacy BIOS and MBR Installation

1. fresh install windows, all driver including VEGA 8 Driver again in MBR mode
  2. When plug the eGPU in this mode I experience boot loop in black screen, this is already explained on this forum issue and stability guide page, that is because of bios doesn't know what to do with egpu when detect when POST
  3. set exp gdc atx power always on
  4. turn on the laptop but psu still off, boot to bios setup menu just for halt boot process
  5. turn on PSU and exp gdc also would turn on
  6. press ctrl+alt+delete to restart
  7. successfully boot to windows and now my internal screen is working using Vega 8 along with external monitor work using RX 580. on driver software now both GPU are detected.
  8. Install eGPU setup 1.35 and boot to software (to able boot laptop with eGPU I always re do step 4-6)
  9. oh no, eGPU setup 1.35 menu based is not working properly because it's not in intel chipset based here is the photo, but I my egpu port is actually detected so I could still use DOS mode
  10. with nando suggestion I could set my pci using setpci command to correct register of wireless PCIe port, so after look on AMD Register Reference I found the correct register is register 88h (LINK_CNTL2) I can set PCIe speed target to gen 3
  11. try setpci command and chainload to windows using chainload command
  12. my RX 580 now working in PCIe gen 3 speed. thanks god
  13. using nando instruction I set my startup.bat and unattended boot process
  14. Game on.

Benchmarks:

2Gbps Mode:

aida 64:

heaven benchmark:

8Gbps mode:

aida 64:

heaven benchmark

world war z benchmark

Comments

• I know it is not convenient to always do step 4-6 on installation step to turn on the laptop with legacy mode, but I stick with it because my intention when buying and build this eGPU setup is performance not convenience
  • My gaming experience increase a lot. now I could play CSGO in High setting with 150-200Fps. play Fallout 4 high medium setting on 60-80Fps, GTA V on 60-70Fps high setting all of that on 1080p.
  • I never tested on internal monitor, actually I could run RX580 to internal monitor when in legacy mode by disabling vega 8 iGPU on device manager but I prefer play on external monitor
  • I overclock my gpu to 1500MHz core clock, 1900MHz memory clock, and 30% power limit on AMD driver software
  • Thank you very much for nando4 to always help me.
2018 15" HP Envy X360 [R2K,4C,U] + RX 580 @ 8Gbps-M2 (EXP GDC 8.5c) + Win10 [build link]  

mr.ribeiro and nando4 liked
ReplyQuote
Satwik Rao
(@satwik_rao)

please do benchmarking on internal monitor as well. i donot have an external monitor and I cant carry it any where. so, your benchmarking on internal monitor would really help me.

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote