2017 15" HP Spectre x360 MX150 + [email protected] (Powercolor Devilbox) + Win10 [troywright]^  

RSS

troywright
(@troywright)
Eminent Member
October 15, 2017 7:33 am  

My new Spectre arrived this week and I have been using successfully with my DevilBox.

It is currently working a single cable solution when I am Gaming with the Internal card disabled it can use the 60W provided by the DevilBox. HP always warns me about using a non HP adapter 🙂

The setup was a bit weird, I had to keep uninstalling and reinstalling the thunderbolt and Nvidia drivers, then suddenly it worked.

Currently I have only tested MGS Phantom Pain - I could run it at 4k 45fps on the internal screen - it looked pretty amazing. 

Heaven at 4k 8xAA 

Soon I will add my system & eGPU details or a build link to this my signature to give context to my posts

nando4 liked
ReplyQuote
nando4
(@nando4)
Noble Member Admin
December 15, 2017 9:10 am  

These are the new bandwidth benchmarks after updating the Devilbox firmware. From here:

Posted by: troywright

Thanks for your help! Downgrading did the trick. New picture attached. Doesn't seems to be as big of a difference that other experienced, but it's higher. I'll test it with real world fps games sometime during the week.

eGPU Setup 1.35    •    eGPU Port Bandwidth Reference Table    •    Several builds
2015 15" Dell Precision 7510 M1000M + macOS 10.14 & Win10

ReplyQuote
nando4
(@nando4)
Noble Member Admin
December 15, 2017 9:21 am  

@troywright , your system's bandwidth matches what we see when a system is running a 2-lane TB3 eGPU:

https://egpu.io/external-gpu-implementations-table/#perf

As I  understand from @4chip's comments, HP had a certain number of PCIe lanes to work with and the addition of the MX150 dGPU means the TB3 controller was wired with 2-lanes. So this is a 16Gbps-TB3 eGPU implementation.

eGPU Setup 1.35    •    eGPU Port Bandwidth Reference Table    •    Several builds
2015 15" Dell Precision 7510 M1000M + macOS 10.14 & Win10

ReplyQuote
troywright
(@troywright)
Eminent Member
December 15, 2017 9:26 am  

Thanks 🙂 Correct. I now have the Aorus Gaming Box 1080 and have similar results.

Soon I will add my system & eGPU details or a build link to this my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
lstrak
(@lstrak)
December 24, 2017 9:42 pm  

Hi just to make sure I read your message above correctly because I am considering buying the same egpu. Does the new HP Spectre x360 15” run at 4 lanes or 2 lanes? Can you please confirm 

ReplyQuote
theitsage
(@itsage)
Famed Member Admin
December 24, 2017 9:52 pm  
Posted by: lstrak

Hi just to make sure I read your message above correctly because I am considering buying the same egpu. Does the new HP Spectre x360 15” run at 4 lanes or 2 lanes? Can you please confirm 

The Spectre X360 15" has 2 PCIe lanes for its Thunderbolt connection.

Best ultrabooks for eGPU use

eGPU enclosure buying guide

86 external GPU build guides

ReplyQuote
lstrak
(@lstrak)
December 24, 2017 11:31 pm  

Thank you. So there is no difference between the two 15” Spectres even the new on with the 8th gen CPU and MX150 still runs at 2 lanes and not full 4 lanes? I am asking just to confirm becaue there are two  2017 versions of the 15” Spectre 

ReplyQuote
4chip4
(@4chip4)
Estimable Member
January 2, 2018 4:44 pm  

*ALL* 15" x360 Spectres to date have 2 lanes on the TB3 port, as all 15" models have dGPUs. The difference GPU-wise is that earlier models have the built-in NVidia 940M(X) and the newer ones a MX150. The lane assignment has not changed.

I don't expect this to change until Intel makes more PCIe lanes available for its U class processors (which hasn't changed across the Skylake/Kaby Lake/Kaby Lake Refresh).

2017 HP Spectre x360 15 i7-8550U GTX150 + [email protected] (HP Omen Accelerator) + Oculus Rift + Win10 [no guide] HP Omen Accelerator Thunderbolt 3 enclosure legs stand removal walkthrough
Employed by HP, but my posts and opinions expressed on this forum are my own.

nando4 liked
ReplyQuote