2017 15" HP ZBook 15 G4 M1200 + R9 [email protected] (AKiTiO Node Pro) + Win 10 Enterprise [Yukikaze]  

RSS

Yukikaze
(@yukikaze)
Prominent Member Moderator
March 3, 2018 7:43 pm  

I was looking to buy some new eGPU boxes, mostly with the goal of getting rid of older TB2 equipment, and after some deliberation I decided on the Node Pro for my ZBook. I wanted something with good build-quality and the size to support pretty much any graphics card power-supply wise. Having only 60W power-delivery was not a concern, as my machines tend to be high-end workstations that rarely manage to get into the 100W max Power-Delivery of the TB3 spec, and my current ZBook G4 is no exception with its 150W power adapter. The extra connectivity offered by the Pro was just a bonus. There are also very few builds with these, so I figured I'd add another one to the mix.

Hardware details

• Laptop: 2017 HP ZBook G4 (i7-7820HQ, Quadro M1200, 32GB of DDR4-2000, 256GB NVMe SSD)
  • Screens: HP Z27q (5120x2880 via 2xDisplayPort), Dell P2715Q (3840x2160 via DisplayPort)
  • OS: Windows 10 Enterprise 64-bit (Version: 1607, Build: 14393.2608)
  • eGPU: Sapphire R9 Fury Nitro+ (This card is massive, at 12.09")

Installation

The setup is completely plug-and-play, and I did not have to do any updates of any sort to get it to work, despite AKiTiO's warning on top of the manual.

Comments

theitsage already took pictures of a Node Pro teardown, and my own photography equipment (and skill) sucks in comparison, but I might snap some pictures later. That said, the build quality of the Node Pro is absolutely top notch, as is the careful packaging. The Node Pro feels great, looks great and I definitely recommend it to someone looking for a well-built enclosure. The overall aesthetic (including the handle) reminds me a little of a ammunition crate, if they made those out of perfectly machined aluminum, that is.

My eGPU Zoo - Link to my Implementations.
Want to output [email protected] out of an old system on the cheap? Read here.
"Always listen to experts. They'll tell you what can't be done, and why. Then do it."- Robert A. Heinlein, "Time Enough for Love."

theitsage, 3RYL and nando4 liked
ReplyQuote