Setup & Software Discussions
2017 15" MacBook Pro (RP555) [7th,4C,H] + RTX 2070 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (AORUS Gaming Bo...

2017 15" MacBook Pro (RP555) [7th,4C,H] + RTX 2070 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (AORUS Gaming Box) + macOS 10.14 & Win10 1903 [Lividity]  

RSS

Lividity
(@lividity)

System specs (model inc screen size, CPU, iGPU, dGPU, operating system)

15" Macbook Pro 2017 (14,1), i7-7700HQ, Intel Graphics HD630, AMD Radeon Pro 555 2GB, Windows 10 1903 (bootcamp)

eGPU hardware (eGPU enclosure, video card, any third-party TB3 cable, any custom mods)

Gigabyte AORUS Gaming Box, Nvidia GeForce RTX 2070

Monitor is LG UC 98 34" ultrawide (3440x1440)

Installation steps (what did you do to get it all going?)

A bit of trial and error unfortunately, I initially tried hotplugging in Windows, but it wouldn't recognise, then tried rebooting and plugging in while Windows was loading (spinning circles) - the LEDs on the Gaming Box briefly lit up, but then wasn't working. Later got into Windows and unplugged everything from the Box (I had the monitor plugged in) and hotplugged - this eventually got it to recognise (be patient and wait a few minutes) and install the default Windows Nvidia drivers

Then install latest Nvidia Game drivers (DCH).

It's pretty temperamental TBH. Sometimes when you hotplug Windows will just crash & reboot. Sometimes it's fine. At the moment I'm having the most success plugging in while Windows is loading (spinning circles). I'm also able to plug in now with monitor, keyboard and mouse attached.

Notes to self

- Open up Device Manager and View > Devices by Connection - so you can see if things are getting recognised properly
- When you first plug it in, don't have anything connected to the Gaming Box
- Be patient and wait and see what Windows detects
- Safely eject "Video Controller" before unplugging - this seems to make it happier for subsequent re-plugs
- Sometimes the box runs without the LEDs glowing (particularly after laptop sleep / replug)

Benchmarks

Borderlands 3 runs 3440x1440, high settings, at ~45FPS

This topic was modified 1 month ago

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

nando4 and itsage liked
ReplyQuote
GaryLeeONE
(@garyleeone)

Congratulations on successfully setting up!

I have the same laptop model as you do, and I just bought a 2070 gaming box from Amazon last week, but I just couldn't get it to work. The device wasn't recognized under Windows Device Manager and macOS System Information. Maybe mine was a defective product, I'm considering getting a replacement

MacBook Pro 15-inch, Mid 2017 (2.8GHz quad-core i7-7700HQ - 16GB 2133MHz LPDDR3 RAM - Radeon Pro 555 w/ 2GB GDDR5 VRAM)

eGPU: Gigabyte AORUS RTX 2070 Gaming Box
Setup working like a charm 🙂

ReplyQuote
Lividity
(@lividity)

@garyleeone

How did you go?
It was certainly fiddly to get it working the first time.
Note that I am using the right side ports, the one at the back next to the headphones. 

If I remember correctly, I tried a number of different things until it worked. 
1. Hot plug the box (with monitor attached)
It didn't work. Waited a bit. Tried a different port. 
2. Reboot windows and Plugged in while the circles were spinning (even slightly before)
3. Unplugged the monitor from the box and hotplugged. 

I tried 1 & 2 a few times and eventually 3 got it working. 

That said, right now everything seems to work only if I plug it in at boot when the circles are spinning. (I am plugging it in with everything attached)

Sorry for the delayed response. I hope that helps. 

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
GaryLeeONE
(@garyleeone)

@lividity

I have already returned it lol. I tried all of the methods you mentioned but none worked, it has to be the device’s problem I guess. I may purchase another one later, hopefully the new one will work properly.

MacBook Pro 15-inch, Mid 2017 (2.8GHz quad-core i7-7700HQ - 16GB 2133MHz LPDDR3 RAM - Radeon Pro 555 w/ 2GB GDDR5 VRAM)

ReplyQuote
GaryLeeONE
(@garyleeone)

@lividity

Hi! So I got myself a replacement unit yesterday, and I managed to get it to recognize under Windows 10 for the first time today. The default drivers and DCH drivers were successfully installed. I also plugged in an external monitor as a test, and it all went very smoothly. However, after restarting I couldn't get it to detect again. It sometimes shows nothing, sometimes a BSOD with stop code SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION. The problem is sometimes with AppleSPIdevice.sys or Wdf01000.sys. Have you encountered such problems during your setup? I'd really appreciate your help.

This post was modified 4 weeks ago

ReplyQuote
Lividity
(@lividity)

@garyleeone

Hey mate - great to hear that you are making some progress

I didn't get BSOD myself, Windows would just go completely black and reboot within a few seconds of plugging in. It still does that on mine when I hotplug. 

When you plug in during bootup, try and do it when the windows logo appears and before the circles start spinning. I've noticed that sometimes if you do it a bit later, it doesn't detect. 

Hope this helps!!

ReplyQuote
Lividity
(@lividity)

Posted by: @lividity

@garyleeone

Hey mate - great to hear that you are making some progress

I didn't get BSOD myself, Windows would just go completely black and reboot within a few seconds of plugging in. It still does that on mine when I hotplug. 

When you plug in during bootup, try and do it when the windows logo appears and before the circles start spinning. I've noticed that sometimes if you do it a bit later, it doesn't detect. 

Hope this helps!!

Ok I stand corrected - I got this this morning. Plugged in during boot and BSOD with AppleSPIdevice.sys. it then rebooted.

I unplugged, let it boot to macOS (my default) then rebooted and plugged in as soon as I could when the windows logo appears.

ReplyQuote
GaryLeeONE
(@garyleeone)

@lividity

Hi, I'd just like to ask how reliably can you use your method to connect the eGPU?

I've been fiddling with the box for about a week now, used all the methods you mentioned, but I only got it to recognize twice by my system. I also tried the guide written by @itsage using the rEFInd method, but Windows couldn't detect a "third graphics device". The device could be detected under macOS so I guess it's working fine. I've no idea why I couldn't get it to recognize properly. Really starting to get frustrated here 🙁 

ReplyQuote
Lividity
(@lividity)

@garyleeone

Sorry to hear mate.

Mine has been pretty reliable. Like I said if I am too slow plugging in then it will not detect and probably crash. 

But I've done it at least 10 times over the last 2 weeks and it is pretty consistent. 

ReplyQuote
viperaxe
(@viperaxe)

Hi there, I have pretty much the exact Mac and monitor setup that you got. I'm wondering if you are getting the performance you expect from the Gaming Box. Are you using external monitor? or going through USB-C only?

ReplyQuote
Lividity
(@lividity)

Posted by: @viperaxe

Hi there, I have pretty much the exact Mac and monitor setup that you got. I'm wondering if you are getting the performance you expect from the Gaming Box. Are you using external monitor? or going through USB-C only?

Hey - yeah I think the performance is good? TBH I'm not sure what to expect.

Borderlands sits around 45fps on 3440x1440 with high settings. That's really nice and playable and looks amazing, so I'm happy. That's a pretty high resolution, and a brand new game, so I feel like it's a bit of a luxury and it's doing pretty well. 

I personally try to avoid obsessing about benchmarks, and just enjoy the performance if its good enough

ReplyQuote
joevt
(@joevt)
Honorable Member

ReplyQuote
Lividity
(@lividity)

@joevt

Yeah my H2D in Windows is currently around 1280 MiB/s and D2H is around 1700 MiB/s

I don't know why, but if someone has tips then I'm all ears!

Haven't tried it in MacOS at all. Will give it a go and report back (what tool do I use to find out H2D / D2H?)

PS @garyleeone - I noticed something new this week. When I plug in during boot (as I normally do) Windows has disabled the RTX2070 at startup. I have to go into device manager and enable it. After that, everything works fine. I don't know if it's because I'm using the little nvidia icon (looks like a chip) to disconnect the GPU before shutting down.

This post was modified 1 week ago

ReplyQuote
joevt
(@joevt)
Honorable Member

@lividity The RTX won't work in macOS. I think you should be able to get a screen shot of the Thunderbolt info to make sure it's connected at 40 Gbps instead of 20 Gbps. You would need an AMD card to check H2D or D2H with CL!ng.

ReplyQuote
Lividity
(@lividity)

@joevt

When I connect to receptacle 3 (front right port) I get this:

Screen Shot 2019 10 13 at 9.39.15 pm

Initially, I connected it to the back right port (which I usually use in Windows) and after lots of intermittent fan noises, it came up as an UNKNOWN DEVICE.
I just tried it again now (after it successfully detected in receptacle 3) and it took about 2 mins of fan noises but it seems to have settled down and detected now (20Gbps x 2).

Is this what I should expect? Why would the Mac H2D speed have anything to do with the Windows H2D speed?

ReplyQuote
GaryLeeONE
(@garyleeone)

@lividity

Hi! I'm actually disconnecting the eGPU from that NVIDIA icon every time, and have to manually enable it again every time I reboot, just as you mentioned. But it's working well, so no complaints at all 🙂 My unit's been running very smoothly the past week, no detection issues any more so I'm very glad.

ReplyQuote
joevt
(@joevt)
Honorable Member

@lividity It should say "Speed: Up to 40 Gb/s x1 Current Link Width: 0x2". Yours says "Speed: Up to 20 Gb/s x2 Current Link Width: 0x1". I believe this means that your Thunderbolt 3 connection is running single lane 20 Gbps instead of the normal two lane 20 Gbps = 40 Gbps. There is definitely a problem with your connection. Since there's a problem with the connection/hardware, it will affect both macOS and Windows. I think you need to use a different cable. If a different cable doesn't give 40 Gbps then there might be something wrong with the Thunderbolt ports or controllers. If a different cable does give 40 Gbps, then you should throw away the defective cable.

ReplyQuote
Lividity
(@lividity)

@joevt

Thanks for the advice - I am just using the included TB3 cable.

Also note that I haven't applied the H2D fix or anything.

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Famed Member Admin

@lividity The low Host-to-Device number from CUDA-Z  is due to the firmware on your RTX Gaming Box. The low Device-to-Host number is to due to TB3 connection, most likely cable. I looked at the first picture in your OP and there’s a serial number tag on one end of the cable. That does not look like a typical .5m Thunderbolt 3 cable included in Gaming Box packaging. You can flash the H2D firmware as well as 1.3 update to get the best performance but definitely check your Thunderbolt 3 cable.

Best ultrabooks for eGPU use

eGPU enclosure buying guide

ReplyQuote
Lividity
(@lividity)

Thanks @itsage appreciate the advice. 

Any recommendations on a good TB3 cable? (Should I just buy the Apple 0.8m TB3 cable?)

And if I flash the firmware will that make it unstable? What do I do if I need to flash back? 

And you mentioned 1.3 update - is that the Thunderbolt driver from Intel I've seen mentioned?

Many thanks guys

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Famed Member Admin

@lividity Do you need a longer Thunderbolt 3 cable than standard .5m? I believe you can get one fairly cheap or ask the vendor you bought the Gaming Box from to replace. Firmware flashing instructions are detailed in this post. The 1.3 update is an adjustment to the behavior of the two 40mm fans. They turn off during idle mode to keep the enclosure quiet.

Best ultrabooks for eGPU use

eGPU enclosure buying guide

ReplyQuote
Lividity
(@lividity)

@itsage

Happy with a shorter cable - the longer ones get expensive. Noise not an issue for me. 

I'll go with the Apple one - given their return policy as well. Will let you know how I go.

Thanks much!

Ok another random development. I pulled out the cable to have a look at it, and decided to plug it in the other way. Now I get this:

H2D/D2H speed in Windows is same though

Screen Shot 2019 10 15 at 10.07.15 pm

ReplyQuote
joevt
(@joevt)
Honorable Member

@lividity

I've never seen that before. "Link Status 0x2 /0x1 Speed: Up to 20 / 40 Gb/s x2 Current Link Width 0x1" - I guess it means one lane can do 10 Gbps and another lane can do 20 Gbps and since both can't do 20 Gbps, then you are left with single lane 20 Gbps or two lane 10 Gbps? Anyway, since it doesn't say "Speed: Up to 40 Gb/s x1 Current Link Width: 0x2" then it's still a problem. Time to try a different cable.

Lividity liked
ReplyQuote