2017 15" MacBook Pro (RP555) [7th,4C,H] + RTX 2070 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (AORUS Gaming Bo...

Notifications
Clear all

2017 15" MacBook Pro (RP555) [7th,4C,H] + RTX 2070 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (AORUS Gaming Box) + Win10 1903 [Lividity]  

of  3
  RSS

Lividity
(@lividity)
Eminent Member

Posted by: @viperaxe

Hi there, I have pretty much the exact Mac and monitor setup that you got. I'm wondering if you are getting the performance you expect from the Gaming Box. Are you using external monitor? or going through USB-C only?

Hey - yeah I think the performance is good? TBH I'm not sure what to expect.

Borderlands sits around 45fps on 3440x1440 with high settings. That's really nice and playable and looks amazing, so I'm happy. That's a pretty high resolution, and a brand new game, so I feel like it's a bit of a luxury and it's doing pretty well. 

I personally try to avoid obsessing about benchmarks, and just enjoy the performance if its good enough

2019 15" MSI Prestige 15 (GTX1650) [10th,6C,U] + RTX 2070 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (AORUS Gaming Box) + Win10 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
joevt
(@joevt)
Noble Member

ReplyQuote
Lividity
(@lividity)
Eminent Member

@joevt

Yeah my H2D in Windows is currently around 1280 MiB/s and D2H is around 1700 MiB/s

I don't know why, but if someone has tips then I'm all ears!

Haven't tried it in MacOS at all. Will give it a go and report back (what tool do I use to find out H2D / D2H?)

PS @garyleeone - I noticed something new this week. When I plug in during boot (as I normally do) Windows has disabled the RTX2070 at startup. I have to go into device manager and enable it. After that, everything works fine. I don't know if it's because I'm using the little nvidia icon (looks like a chip) to disconnect the GPU before shutting down.

This post was modified 2 years ago
2019 15" MSI Prestige 15 (GTX1650) [10th,6C,U] + RTX 2070 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (AORUS Gaming Box) + Win10 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
joevt
(@joevt)
Noble Member

@lividity The RTX won't work in macOS. I think you should be able to get a screen shot of the Thunderbolt info to make sure it's connected at 40 Gbps instead of 20 Gbps. You would need an AMD card to check H2D or D2H with CL!ng.

Mac mini (2018), Mac Pro (Early 2008), GA-Z170X-Gaming 7, Sapphire Pulse Radeon RX 580 8GB GDDR5, Radeon Pro W5700, Sonnet Echo Express III-D, Trebleet Thunderbolt 3 to NVMe M.2 case

ReplyQuote
Lividity
(@lividity)
Eminent Member

@joevt

When I connect to receptacle 3 (front right port) I get this:

Screen Shot 2019 10 13 at 9.39.15 pm

Initially, I connected it to the back right port (which I usually use in Windows) and after lots of intermittent fan noises, it came up as an UNKNOWN DEVICE.
I just tried it again now (after it successfully detected in receptacle 3) and it took about 2 mins of fan noises but it seems to have settled down and detected now (20Gbps x 2).

Is this what I should expect? Why would the Mac H2D speed have anything to do with the Windows H2D speed?

ReplyQuote
GaryLeeONE
(@garyleeone)

@lividity

Hi! I'm actually disconnecting the eGPU from that NVIDIA icon every time, and have to manually enable it again every time I reboot, just as you mentioned. But it's working well, so no complaints at all Smile My unit's been running very smoothly the past week, no detection issues any more so I'm very glad.

MacBook Pro 15-inch, Mid 2017 (2.8GHz quad-core i7-7700HQ - 16GB 2133MHz LPDDR3 RAM - Radeon Pro 555 w/ 2GB GDDR5 VRAM)

eGPU: Gigabyte AORUS RTX 2070 Gaming Box
Setup working like a charm 🙂

ReplyQuote
joevt
(@joevt)
Noble Member

@lividity It should say "Speed: Up to 40 Gb/s x1 Current Link Width: 0x2". Yours says "Speed: Up to 20 Gb/s x2 Current Link Width: 0x1". I believe this means that your Thunderbolt 3 connection is running single lane 20 Gbps instead of the normal two lane 20 Gbps = 40 Gbps. There is definitely a problem with your connection. Since there's a problem with the connection/hardware, it will affect both macOS and Windows. I think you need to use a different cable. If a different cable doesn't give 40 Gbps then there might be something wrong with the Thunderbolt ports or controllers. If a different cable does give 40 Gbps, then you should throw away the defective cable.

Mac mini (2018), Mac Pro (Early 2008), GA-Z170X-Gaming 7, Sapphire Pulse Radeon RX 580 8GB GDDR5, Radeon Pro W5700, Sonnet Echo Express III-D, Trebleet Thunderbolt 3 to NVMe M.2 case

ReplyQuote
Lividity
(@lividity)
Eminent Member

@joevt

Thanks for the advice - I am just using the included TB3 cable.

Also note that I haven't applied the H2D fix or anything.

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Founder Admin

@lividity The low Host-to-Device number from CUDA-Z  is due to the firmware on your RTX Gaming Box. The low Device-to-Host number is to due to TB3 connection, most likely cable. I looked at the first picture in your OP and there's a serial number tag on one end of the cable. That does not look like a typical .5m Thunderbolt 3 cable included in Gaming Box packaging. You can flash the H2D firmware as well as 1.3 update to get the best performance but definitely check your Thunderbolt 3 cable.

LinkedIn | Twitter | Facebook | Youtube | Instagram

external graphics card builds
best laptops for external GPU
eGPU enclosure buyer's guide

2021 13" ASUS ROG Flow X13 (RTX3050Ti) [R5K,8C,H] + RTX 3080 @ 64Gbps-XG (XG Mobile) + Win10 20H2 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
Lividity
(@lividity)
Eminent Member

Thanks @itsage appreciate the advice. 

Any recommendations on a good TB3 cable? (Should I just buy the Apple 0.8m TB3 cable?)

And if I flash the firmware will that make it unstable? What do I do if I need to flash back? 

And you mentioned 1.3 update - is that the Thunderbolt driver from Intel I've seen mentioned?

Many thanks guys

ReplyQuote
 of  3