2017 15" MacBook Pro (RP555) [7th,4C,H] + RX 5700 XT @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Razer Core X)...

Notifications
Clear all

2017 15" MacBook Pro (RP555) [7th,4C,H] + RX 5700 XT @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Razer Core X) + macOS 10.15.5 & Win10 2004  

RSS

Keep-Left
(@keep-left)

System Specs

MacBook Pro (15-inch, 2017, MacBookPro14,3)
• 2.8 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7, 16GB, 500GB, Radeon Pro 555 2GB + Intel HD 630
• macOS 10.15.5 (19F101)
• Windows 10 2004 (with pci.sys from 1903)
• HP 27" 1440p display

eGPU Hardware

Razer Core X w/ Razer TB3 cable
AMD RX 5700 XT (PowerColor Red Dragon)

Installation steps macOS

• Plug & Play. Sometimes hot plug doesn't work, may have to shut down, plug in eGPU then boot.

Installation steps for Windows 10

• Install Windows 10 via macOS Boot Camp Assistant
• Update Windows 10 to version 2004
• Use Group Policy to disable updates of drivers, as described here
• Download 'Adrenalin Red Gaming Edition' drivers from https://www.bootcampdrivers.com
• Follow this video for using DDU to remove Apple graphics drivers and then installing the Adrenalin drivers

At this point, if you try using the eGPU you'll most likely get error 12, resources issue. To resolve, i downgraded the pci.sys file. 

• Boot into macOS and download the .ISO of Windows 10 1903 build 18362.30, as outlined here "Download Any Windows ISOs:".
• Install Keka and extract install.wim from the downloaded Windows ISO \sources\install.wim
• Install Tuxera NTFS, which will allow us to write directly to the Boot Camp volume from macOS
• From the extracted install.wim file, you'll have a file: \1\Windows\System32\drivers\pci.sys - copy this to your Boot Camp volume: Boot Camp\Windows\System32\drivers
• Shut down
• connect eGPU to left lower port of your MacBook Pro and boot into Windows
• open Device manager and check the external graphics card. If it still has error 12, try right click > Uninstall device. Reboot
• if you have error 43 after reboot, right click device and Disable. Then right click again and Enable. It should now be okay.

If you're still having issue with error 12/43, try using different TB3 port. I have read numerous people with same MacBook Pro 15" 2017 model say it only works with left upper port (closest to display), but for me it's only the left lower port that works.

Try other ports and uninstalling device & disabling / re-enabling the device from Device Manager if error 12 or 43 persists.

I always cold plug the eGPU as well.

Once i got the eGPU working, i disabled the built-in laptop display from Windows settings - i recommend this when playing games.

Comments

I originally got the idea of downgrading the pci.sys file from this guide.

If you wanted to skip the whole pci.sys downgrade process, you could potentially just install Windows 10 1903 (build 18362.30 or 18362.295) from scratch.

I recommend using Macs Fan Control and set laptop fans to full speed when gaming

This topic was modified 4 months ago
2017 15" MacBook Pro (RP555) [7th,4C,H] + RX 5700 XT @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Razer Core X) + macOS 10.15.5 & Win10 2004 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
brandonmartinez
(@brandonmartinez)

@keep-left is this still working well for you? I've tried all the other instructions to get bootcamp working, and can never get it to ever "click". Always end up with codes/errors on the eGPU. I have a similar setup, 2018 Mac mini, RX 5700 XT in a Sonnet 650 enclosure. Figured I'd ask before trying again.

2018 Mac Mini (3.2 Ghz Intel Core i7, 32 GB RAM) | Sonnet 650 | PowerColor Red Devil RX 5700 XT

ReplyQuote
Keep-Left
(@keep-left)

Posted by: @brandonmartinez

@keep-left is this still working well for you? I've tried all the other instructions to get bootcamp working, and can never get it to ever "click". Always end up with codes/errors on the eGPU. I have a similar setup, 2018 Mac mini, RX 5700 XT in a Sonnet 650 enclosure. Figured I'd ask before trying again.

yep still working pretty well... i'm assuming you've tried the pci.sys file from older version of Windows?

Also, i think i read that someone using the latest Windows 10 + Insider Program updates (beta updates) has fixed it as well...

so if you have nothing left to try, i would consider going version 2004 and enable Insider builds and install them

2017 15" MacBook Pro (RP555) [7th,4C,H] + RX 5700 XT @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Razer Core X) + macOS 10.15.5 & Win10 2004 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
brandonmartinez
(@brandonmartinez)

Man, I was really hopeful this would work. Went through and did the whole bootcamp process. Utilized Windows 10 1903 build 18362.30 just to really play it safe. After many reboots and lots of Code 12s, I finally got a Code 43, then hot plugged a few times and saw all my displays light up. That was short-lived, and was unable to replicate it again.

Guess I'll just stick to parallels for now 🙁

As a note, I think I've tried just about every method on this form to get the 5700 XT working in bootcamp with my Mac mini (2018). Nada.

2018 Mac Mini (3.2 Ghz Intel Core i7, 32 GB RAM) | Sonnet 650 | PowerColor Red Devil RX 5700 XT

ReplyQuote
Mini i5
(@mini-i5)
Honorable Member

@brandonmartinez

Update to the latest Windows version 2004 and do the pci.sys file swap.

(And make sure to take permission of the folder from Trusted Installer).

https://egpu.io/forums/bootcamp/windows-2004-bootcamp-on-mac-mini-rx5700xt/paged/2/

2018 Mac Mini i5 / 6-core 3.0-4.1 Ghz / 32GB / 256GB / Intel UHD 630 / PowerColor Gaming Station / PowerColor dual-fan RX 5700 XT / Mac OS 10.15.6 Catalina / Windows 2004 😏 / Dual LG 27" 4K displays

ReplyQuote
brandonmartinez
(@brandonmartinez)

@mini-i5, alright, I'm going to try that right now. This is my last hope!

ReplyQuote
brandonmartinez
(@brandonmartinez)

@mini-i5, alright, I have a positive update! I am able to actually use my eGPU in Windows – however, I do have to do a "port dance" to get it to fully work. I boot with the HDMI plugged into my primary display and cold boot with the eGPU on and plugged in. Once I'm booted in windows, I unplug the eGPU and plug it back into the same port. That 90% of the time registers it fine, then I just unplug the HDMI cable. I'm able to fully use the eGPU at that point; better than nothing!

Definitely scares me a bit, since it feels like an update could break it at any moment. But at least for now I can finally use my Windows games.

Thanks for everyone's help! Hopefully we have a better solution in the future as Windows adds better support for Navi eGPUs.

Mini i5 liked
ReplyQuote
0Badger0
(@0badger0)
Eminent Member

Hello Keep-Left ... 🙂

I tried to send you a private message, but this site wouldn't allow me to do that.

Great write up, but I could use a hand. 

I posted this:

https://egpu.io/forums/which-gear-should-i-buy/should-i-wait-for-a-fix-or-wade-into-trying-to-make-it-work/#post-84439

... and was re-directed by an Admin here.

I'm out in the country and only have cell service. It will cost me a fortune to download the entire .ISO of Windows 10 1903 build 18362.30.

Plus, I'm on a veteran's fixed income pension. Is there an easier way for me to get a copy of pci.sys then to spend more than $30 U.S. to install Keka and Tuxera NTFS (software I'll only ever use once) just to get a copy of an old "pci.sys"?

Any help would be appreciated...

Thanks... 

Regards,
Doug

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
0Badger0
(@0badger0)
Eminent Member

Update:  I'm now at the following Keep-Left's step, thanks to a friend who went through the process of getting me the correct pci.sys from a Windows 10 1903 build 18362.30.  I haven't yet installed (replaced) it on my Windows 2004 build 19041.388

• From the extracted install.wim file, you'll have a file: \1\Windows\System32\drivers\pci.sys - copy this to your Boot Camp volume: Boot Camp\Windows\System32\drivers

Why? ... well, I haven't yet got up the nerve hit the send key to Amazon (Canada) to spend the $1200+ to buy the same eGPU set up Keep-Left has.   Geezzz.. this stuff is expensive up here in Canada.

Razer Core X w/ Razer TB3 cable
AMD RX 5700 XT (PowerColor Red Dragon)

Given where I'm at Keep-Letft's process with virtually the same MacBook Pro he has, I don't see why I couldn't get at least get as far as he has. 😯 

It's like staring death in the face if it doesn't work, or my wife .. I'm not sure which is worse. 🙄

Regards

Doug

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote