2017 15" MacBook Pro (RP560) [7th,4C,H] + RTX 2070 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (AORUS Gaming Box) + Win10 1903 [webrok]
Hi all! I've finally decided to choose Aorus Gaming Box 2070, as it is extremely compact and I can take it anywhere in my backpack. BTW, thank you all for help. 2080ti Gaming Box is bigger, twice expensive and perfomance boost will be limited by notebook CPU and TB3 connection. In the future I am planning to swap 15 MBP 2017 for 13 MBP 2020. Apparently it will have more powerful CPU and be even more compact. I also have an option to buy external display (+10% perfomance boost) and overclock GPU and memory.
Sorry, got no photo, but nothing interesting here anyway
1) First of all I've updated my AMD drivers just in case, downloading them from bootcampdrivers.com.
2) With windows loaded, I've hot-pluged eGPU to the left side port (that is closer to you and shift key), wait several minutes, restart the machine.
3) Then I forced windows reallocate your Thunderbolt PCIe bridges ( https://egpu.io/forums/pc-setup/2016-macbook-pro-solving-egpu-error-12-in-windows-10/).
4) Another restart and I've managed to install latest Nvidia drivers from their website.
Now I can cold-plug eGPU and choose for which apps I will use eGPU in Windows display options.
Benchmarks (internal display):
Metro Exodus Ultra RTX Full HD:
Metro Exodus Extreme Full HD:
Metro Exodus High Full HD:
During setup process I have to search for some information (mainly on these forum), so I decided to write my experience as small FAQ to help anyone find all the info quicker. I am not a pro, but that helps in my configuration. Would be great if someone takes all the info and creates a sticky post for all Aorus Gaming Box owners. Also asking moderators/admin for help uploading my screenshots and files to this website. Or just give me rights, please.
After updating MacOS, boot menu for choosing OS doesn't load with eGPU connected.
Try resetting NVRAM/PRAM and SMC on your mac.
No sound with eGPU connected.
Follow this guide ( https://egpu.io/forums/builds/2016-macbook-13-tb-akitio-thunder3-evga-gtx-1060-6gb/#post-2614). I've also attached all files you'll need for this: http://webrok.biz/soundreset.zip
Updating firmware doesn't work, showing different errors.
For me works installing all these drivers in different order (!):
- 1.41.648.4 ( https://download.gigabyte.com/FileList/Driver/mb_driver_626_thunderboltdch_1.41.648.4_n.zip)
- TBT_WIN10_64_126.96.36.1990 ( https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/28658/Thunderbolt-3-Legacy-Driver-for-Windows-10-for-Intel-NUC)
- TBOLT_Win10_Version_64.zip ( https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/28735/Driver-Thunderbolt-3-DCH-per-Windows-10-per-Intel-NUC)
- Chipset_Driver_J95RR_WN32_188.8.131.525_A01 ( https://www.dell.com/support/home/ru/ru/rsbsdt1/drivers/driversdetails?driverId=J95RR)
Is there any change in perfomance using power delivery for you notebook or with mouse connected to eGPU?
No. I've tested different cases with 3D Mark - no difference.
How to control the color of the RGB lights inside?
That wasn't obvious for me Download Aorus Engine 1.5.2 ( https://download.gigabyte.com/FileList/Utility/vga_utility_aorus_setup_v1.5.2.exe) (latest version that runs correctly) and press update. That will install another app - RGB Fusion.
What firmware to choose among 1.0, H2D and 1.3 versions?
It is believed that 1.0 gives more stability, but I haven't seen any difference. H2D gives 2.2 Gbit transfer speed instead of 1.4 Gbit (on 1.0/1.3), but makes it impossible to connect mouse reciever to eGPU (huge lags). However there are still some input freezes on other firmwares during high loads. So I connect USB reciever to my notebook or use BT connection. 1.3 firmware makes side fans less noisy, but 1) even on 1.0/H2D firmware they are turning off on temp less 35 degree 2) PSU fan still very noisy 3) I am planning to change all the fans.
So I choose H2D firmware for maximum perfomance. Is there any difference in benchmarks with different transfer speed? No, may be there are some difference in games.
Look through this thread: https://egpu.io/forums/psu-cables/aorus-1080-1070-fan-replacement/
I am waiting for my Sunon fans and write results there later. I will test MF40101V2-G99-A or HA40101V41000UA99 for side fans and MF40201V2-A99-A or MF40201V1-A99-A for PSU.
What to do if eGPU won't start and don't show up even in MacOS system report (Thunderbolt devices)?
In this case I disconnect power cord for more than 10 minutes.
Is it possbile to install another video card inside?
Yes, it is discussed there: https://egpu.io/forums/thunderbolt-enclosures/aorus-gaming-box-what-gpus-do-work-and-which-ones-do-not
I think I will try 5700 Nano in the future to make my eGPU working on MacOS as well.