2017 15" Macbook Pro RP560 + [email protected] (Razer Core V2) + Win10 // External LCD, 100% plug and play, no scripts!  

RSS

(@888tm)
March 2, 2018 1:19 pm  

Plug and play 2017 15" MacBook Pro  + Razer Desktop Setup

System specs 
- 2017 15" MacBook Pro with Radeon Pro 560 dGPU.

eGPU hardware  - Razer Core V2 + GTX 1080TI Founder's Edition

Hardware pictures -

- 2017 15" MacBook Pro with Radeon Pro 560
- GTX 1080TI Founder's Edition
- Asus ROG Swift PG279Q 27" 1440p 144Hz IPS G-Sync monitor
- Razer Core V2
- Razer Blackwidow Ultimate Keyboard
- Razer Ouroboros Mouse
- Razer Goliathus Mobile Stealth Mousepad

Port setup (the core is working perfectly as a USB hub!!!)
Unigine Benchmark

Installation steps - I have been trawling these forums for the good part of the past year, waiting for the perfect time to leap onto the eGPU bandwagon. This was initially too daunting for me due to the significant workarounds required (and the associated risk involved) in the DSDT error 12 fixes, forced iGPU internal display attachment with apple_os_set.efi and integrated.bat, etc. I just wanted a simple plug and play setup where I can have my MacBook pro to carry around for daily use, and when I get home, I can just plug it straight into the eGPU and turn it into a fully fledged desktop setup. 

The game-changer came when this eGPU.io article provided an update that Apple had done some firmware updates on the 2017 MacBook Pros and that Windows shows "Large Memory" under Device Manager -> View -> Resources by connection. I've since decided to take the plunge.

This theoretically meant that under Windows 10 Pro bootcamp I would have enough resources to run an eGPU without any workarounds, which proved to be true! Here are the steps I used:

- Install Windows 10 via MacOS bootcamp software
- Update Windows 10 Pro to latest version (1709)
- Update bootcamp drivers to the latest version
*** The above steps were already done on my computer from last year. I did not have to reinstall a fresh copy of Windows or anything of the sort.
- Turn off MacBook pro
- Plug in thunderbolt 3 cable from razer core V2 to MacBook Pro (I can confirm that the top left and top right ports both work perfectly to drive the eGPU for me)
- Turn on computer with the thunderbolt cable already attached and wait for Windows to boot up (no hotplugging needed!)
- Windows will detect the razer core, and in my instance, also the GTX 1080TI and auto-install the relevant drivers. I didn't cancel this process.
- Update to latest Nvidia drivers off their website.
- Restart computer.
- Plug in external monitor to the GTX1080TI.
- Go to the NVidia control panel and choose the correct resolution and refresh rate for your monitor.
- Now you have the option to either use the MacBook pro's internal display along with the external display using the extended display option in the display settings, or as I have opted to do, use my MacBook pro in clamshell mode.
- To get clamshell mode working, you need to go into the Settings -> Power and Sleep -> Additional Power options  -> Choose what closing the lid does -> Set to "do nothing". This will ensure the MacBook does not go to sleep if you close the lid.

Benchmarks as above: Unigine Benchmark (benchmark was done on external monitor plugged directly into the 1080TI via displayport cable. The external monitor is an ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q 27" 1440p 144Hz IPS G-Sync monitor.

For an example of an actual gaming scenario, I can play overwatch on 1440p with maximum settings and achieve >150FPS, which is incredible with this monitor (my first time using a high refresh rate monitor). Dat buttery goodness.

Comments

- Although having no idea what I would get out of this setup, I am relieved that it is plug and play as I had hoped for.
- The razer core V2 USB ports work perfectly (which I understand was an issue with the 1st gen core). I have both my keyboard and mouse plugged directly into the core V2 with absolutely no input lag or issues whatsoever.
- Note that you can remove the thunderbolt cable whilst in Windows without crashing but replugging it in while in Windows will cause a reboot. Therefore I make a habit to turn the computer off before I plug in the thunderbolt cable. No need to wait for the spinning dots on boot to hot plug it, just plug it in whilst it is off and it will work fine.
- I also bought a Newertech headless HDMI adapter to try driving the internal display. This works perfectly. Basically just plug the headless HDMI into the graphics card as if it was a monitor, then go to display settings (or use windows key + P) to toggle into extended display mode. You will need to set the fake external display to your primary monitor, and then run games in windowed mode and use windows + shift + left/right to move it to your internal display (second monitor).
- I then used Borderless Gaming to remove the window for that fullscreen look.
- At the end of the day, this went against my goal of a true plug and play setup, as it was still (very mildly) fiddly, so I abandoned it for an external monitor setup. The framerates are also significantly crippled when using the internal display.

Soon I will add my system & eGPU details or a build link to this my signature to give context to my posts

Eightarmedpet and nando4 liked
ReplyQuote
Eightarmedpet
(@eightarmedpet)
Noble Member

ReplyQuote
(@kristian_martin)
June 21, 2018 3:59 pm  

Any chance you could run the SteamVR Performance test? I have the exact system and am looking for a solution. This plug-n-play thing is exactly what I'm after. I'm glad you got it working and appreciate your documentation for the steps to get there.

Soon I will add my system & eGPU details or a build link to this my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
intelligence
(@intelligence)
July 6, 2018 8:48 am  

Any chance that you play PUBG? Would be nice to see what sort of FPS you're getting. Contemplating the exact same setup 🙂

ReplyQuote
Eightarmedpet
(@eightarmedpet)
Noble Member

ReplyQuote
intelligence
(@intelligence)
July 7, 2018 1:24 pm  
Posted by: Eightarmedpet

Ha, think I just replied to you own reddit... I tested PUBG on my set up (links in sig) which is a far less powerful one than you are planning..

Haha, not me, but I found your reddit profile and located the post. 50-60 fps sounds nice! I'm holding out to see if they release quad core for the 13" 🙂

ReplyQuote
mvp2885
(@mvp2885)
July 31, 2018 1:26 am  

hey there, thank you so much for sharing your set-up. Question. When you say the "internal display significant produces frame drops"  when using internal display, like how big was the hit? Are we talking 10-15 fps? or more like 30 fps or more? Thanks!

ReplyQuote