2017 15'' MacBook Pro RP560 + [email protected] (OWC Mercury Helios FX like Sonnet 550) + macOS 10.13.6 & Win10 [KonQ242]  

RSS

Konq242
(@konq242)
December 13, 2018 2:59 am  

2017 15'' MacBook Pro RP560 + Radeon [email protected] in OWC Mercury Helios Fx enclosure + MacOs 10.13.6 + Win 10 Home [KonQ242] For Bootcamp Win 10

System specs (model inc screen size, CPU, iGPU, dGPU, operating system)
-Mid 2017 15'' MBP (Radeon RP560 +Intel HD Graphics 630)
-High Sierra 10.13.6
-32 inch Viotek 1080p Curved Display

eGPU Specs
-OWC Mercury Helios FX chassis - Power cable, HDMI and TB3 cable came with enclosure -( &exph=293&expw=436&q=helios+mercury+fx&simid=608021832651573592&selectedIndex=11&ajaxhist=0)
-Radeon RX580 - 8GB GDDR5

Installation steps
Mac -
Plug and play nothing much else to it

For Bootcamp
1. Clean installed Bootcamp and istalled all the drivers without the eGPU installed
2 (a) Followed the steps from this video here to begin with:

2 (b) Or read:
With your eGPU plugged in visit this site https://github.com/0xbb/apple_set_os.efi/releases   and download the most recent apple_set file.
On your desktop make a new folder called "EFI", inside it make a new folder called "boot", copy the apple set file into the folder
Rename the apple file to "bootx64.efi
Go to disk utility and make a new partition on your SSD, name the new partition "EFI" with MS-DOS (FAT) firmware, make it the smallest it will allow to partition (around 80MB)
Move "EFI" folder into "EFI" partition on your finder
Set the startup disk to Windows and then restart your computer
Hold the 'Option' key down and select the EFI 'drive' - when selected it'll go straight to Windows
Make sure you don't have any peripherals besides the eGPU, use the laptop keyboard and trackpad
Will take a moment to load up (about 1-3 minutes)
Should see AMD Connect and the GPU being recognized by the computer
credit: Cord 01111

May not turn on external display on first go, just force shutdown, and repeat the same steps and it should load up

While on windows, go to device settings and update the driver for all devices you can find, especially your I,d,and eGPUs and reboot your computer repeating the same steps of holding option and selecting 'EFI' drive (will have to do it every time)

Make sure your AMD radeon settings application was indeed updated to its latest possible version as well. After that it is safe to plug in peripherals, (I use a USB hub to limit the amount of TB3 ports are being used)

Get to doing whatever you want to do.

Once again: you have to select 'EFI' to boot every time you go to the Windows side

With Fortnite on Epic everything with motion blur etc, I am at 50-60 FPS
The screen feels smoother and the overall experience on the windows is a lot nicer.

Hope it helps.

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

nando4 liked
ReplyQuote