2017 15" MacBook Pro (RP555) [7th,4C,H] + RX 580 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Blackmagic eGPU) ...

Notifications
Clear all

2017 15" MacBook Pro (RP555) [7th,4C,H] + RX 580 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Blackmagic eGPU) + macOS 10.15.2 & Win10 1909 [WTG]  

RSS

ParalaX
(@paralax)

System specs

- MacBook Pro 15", 16Gb RAM, 256Gb SSD

- dGPU: Radeon RX555

- iGPU: Intel HD630

- eGPU: Radeon RX580

- macOS Catalina 10.15.2, Windows 10 1909 on a Sandisk ultrafit 32go

- LG UltraWide monitor

eGPU hardware 

- Blackmagic eGPU

Hardware pictures

- Coming later

Installation steps

MacOS: plug and play

Windows:

- Creation of a USB thumb drive with Windows 10 thanks to Hasleo WinToUSB

- Boot to Windows, installation of the Bootcamps radeon driver. From there, both dGPU and eGPU where working correctly! Reboot.

- Install bootcamp drivers, reboot.

- Optimisation of Windows thanks to fdossena guide

Note: I then updated my eGPU thanks to latest Blackmagic firmware. Mistake! The eGPU was not recognised anymore... However, after changing the thunderbolt port from top left to bottom left, it worked flawlessly again.

Benchmarks

- TBD

Comments

Initially, I just needed a thunderbolt 3 dock. After having my mind set on the CalDigit TS3+, I took a shot and went looking on a website where you can put some used items online. And there was the Blackmagic Smile I managed to get it for 300 euros, so I figured that at that price I would give it a shot.

The results are above my expectation:

- It works great with parallels, which I use for my CAO software that are Windows only,

- The USB stick allows me to play games with much better performance. Using a USB stick is clearly deadly slow to configure (because of write-speed), but reading speeds are ok, and my games are on a Samsung T3. So basically, the stick stays in the Blackmagic and all is fine Smile

In sumary I came here mostly to thanks the community, because it helped me better understand what was needed or not Smile

This topic was modified 9 months ago
2017 15" MacBook Pro (RP555) [7th,4C,H] + RX 580 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Blackmagic eGPU) + macOS 10.15.2 & Win10 1909 [build link]  

ReplyQuote