2017 15" MacBook Pro (RP560) [7th,4C,H] + RX 580 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (ADT-Link R43SG * M.2-TB3) + macOS 10.13.6
thanks for wonderful forum and very useful tips/builds/answers!
After a few months I finally did this,
1) Orico TCM2T3-G40 => m.2 90$
2) ADT-Link R43SG 45$
3) Dell DA-2 D220P-01 PSU 25$
4) RX580 Nitro+ 4GB preowned 200$
2017 MacBook Pro 15.4" - i7-7820HQ/HD Graphics 630 iGPU & Radeon Pro 560 dGPU/16GB RAM/512GB SSD / macOS 10.13.6 High Sierra
I was inspired by this build and how minimalistic, how elegant it looks. Almost every step you are likely to find there.
Thank you sir, thanks for inspiration!
My biggest concern was about 580's TDP, then I've decided to give a chance to Dell DA-2,
so let's see what comes of it.
After impressive experience of the 4K videos on YouTube, (LG 27UD88-W),
I've tried to figure out my bandwidth and compare set-up to other's builds in general.
- I've found out that GPU fans doesn't work in the idle mode, and GPU temperature doesn't increase upper than 61℃. Is it a good sign?
The answer laid down in the GPU's vBIOS firmware.
- The limitation of the PCI 3.0 x4 bandwidth implies H2D of 2200 MB/s and D2H 2600+ MB/s or my H2D still might be improved?
The answer is ~there~
- Is there any chance to avoid kernel panics after unsuccessful attempts to disconnect eGPU with native toolbar?
Mac's NVRAM, PRAM, and SMC Reset- No Result
sudo nvram AutoBoot=%00to disable "Boot on Lid Open" - Not a clue
ry to play with SW2 jumper
Reinstall MacOS- Solved the problem.
Going down to sleep and unplugging eGPU after ADT-Link turned off makes a temporary solution to reduce the harm from hot shutdown. *(probably)
- Does the GeekBench 5 results (External Display) are accurate enough just to say that set-up is working fine, without any further tweaks and improvements?
The answer is ~there~
Once again, thank you guys for very informative and very supportive community, glad to be part of it!
@nemo, Thank you for sharing this build. We'd love to see some pictures! Regarding the fan-off mode, it could be due to a modified firmware on this card. A rule of thumb when I buy a used Radeon GPU is to flash the original vBIOS back on it. I looked on Sapphire website but couldn't tell for sure if there's a vBIOS switch on top of the card. If it does, you can switch it to the other position and see if that works with fan-off during idle.
@itsage, thank you for the opening of undiscovered eGPU's limits! Yeah, vBios suffered from the mining firmware, so after flashing, some of the numbers are even increased.
Once again guys, thanks a lot for the most detailed guides and attempts to solve all the issues and problems.
Without all of you this would not have been possible ever!
@nemo, That's great to hear!