2017 15-inch Macbook Pro RP560 + [email protected](AKiTiO Node) + macOS10.12.5 [nightwingin_it]^  

RSS

nightwingin_it
(@nightwingin_it)
July 3, 2017 1:55 pm  

eGPU.io has been a massive help in getting my setup running. The keys that helped were scattered throughout several posts so I wanted to share how it all came together for my setup.

• AKiTiO Node
  • NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 ti (Founders edition)
  • 2017 15'' Macbook Pro RP560
  • macOS Sierra 10.12.5 (came with the 16F2073 build).

Below are the steps I needed to successfully run the eGPU for both running the external display and CUDA.

1. Install GPU into AKiTiO Node.
  2. Connect External Display to Node Box.
  3. Connect via Thunderbolt3 to Macbook Pro. (Also my experience learning the difference between a USB-C cable and Thunderbolt3 cable, know which one you have). 
  4. The AKiTiO Node was plug and play for me with no firmware update which was nice to see. Though some posted they needed an update before continuing.
  5. Disable SIP.
  6. OS Build Problem: My machine came with build number 16F2073. So the TRUE OS was 10.12.5 (16F2073). This was different from my mid 2016 macbook pro which worked via adapter on the 10.12.5 (16F73) build. The difference in build numbers is only an issue if you are dealing with beta products... such as the NVIDIA Pascal driver for mac. Because of this the driver will fail to install and goalque's awesome script won't work.
    • Solution: As mentioned in this post I needed to change the build number so the driver could be installed. The file to make this change can be found at (/System/Library/CoreServices/SystemVersion.plist). Open it in an editor and change the build number from 16F2073 to 16F73.
  7. Run URL Form of goalque's script. Thanks to this post by goalque you then run his script with the following commands. (Note: If you run the script normally I still found no success getting the driver to run).
  8. The external monitor should now be working after restarting and you should see the video card listed in about this mac.
  9. After downloading Xcode getting CUDA to find the video card took only an update to the following version and all worked well.
  10. Running device query yields the following result. 

Thank you so much to everyone from this awesome site to provide the information to get this setup working!

Soon I will add my system & eGPU details or a build link to this my signature to give context to my posts

nando4 liked
ReplyQuote
Yan
 Yan
(@yan)
July 3, 2017 7:20 pm  

Hi. I have the same issue with 2017 MacbookPro. Can you please explain exactly how to run the script? I used this one on older mac cd ~/Desktop && curl -o automate-eGPU.sh https://raw.githubusercontent.com/goalque/automate-eGPU/master/automate-eGPU.sh && chmod +x automate-eGPU.sh && sudo ./automate-eGPU.sh

But I don't know where to place sudo ./automate-eGPU.sh -url   https://images.nvidia.com/mac/pkg/378/WebDriver-378.05.05.15f01.pkg

Soon I will add my system & eGPU details or a build link to this my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
nightwingin_it
(@nightwingin_it)
July 3, 2017 7:34 pm  

Sure, I used the following which is very similar to what you have to get the script on my desktop.

cd ~/Desktop; git clone https://github.com.goalque/automate-eGPU.git; chmod +x ~/Desktop/automate-eGPU.sh

Then I ran the script according to the post by goalque that is referenced in the guide above. (Note: that I am running the below code from the desktop).

sudo ./automate-eGPU.sh -url   https://images.nvidia.com/mac/pkg/378/WebDriver-378.05.05.15f01.pkg

ReplyQuote
Yan
 Yan
(@yan)
July 3, 2017 7:57 pm  

Thanks for the reply. Not working for me unfortunately. I changed the OS version as you said and installed the script successfully with url command, but after restart I get a message that the default OSX driver is being used because nvidia driver is not compatible with current os. 

I have a Mantiz Venus + 1080ti and 15 inch 2017 Macbook. 

Do you think a fresh install of MacOS will get rid of that 16F2073 version or is it something that sticks with hardware model also?...I hate Nvidia for those stupid beta drivers. 

Thank you!

ReplyQuote
nightwingin_it
(@nightwingin_it)
July 3, 2017 8:12 pm  

Ah, yes, that is the main thing that I needed to overcome. I have included a screenshot here for further explanation.

Try navigating to the file that is in the implementation guide for the build version. Then change the text that I have highlighted in this screenshot from 16F2073 to 16F73.

No need to do a fresh install. This is what fixed the issue for me.

ReplyQuote
geoheil
(@geoheil)
Eminent Member
July 4, 2017 5:58 pm  

I edited the build number and have some partial success. At least the Nvidia recognizes that **something** from Nvidia is present. However, as you see on the screenshots I do not see the 1080 TI. Do you have some suggestions?

ReplyQuote
slsmaster
(@slsmaster)
July 4, 2017 6:20 pm  

Cant get it to work either with 2017 MacBook Pro 15". I have changed the build version in /System/Library/CoreServices/SystemVersion.plist, the drivers can be installed but I get a message after reboot saying the drivers are not compatible. 

Has somebody any thoughts on that?

ReplyQuote
nightwingin_it
(@nightwingin_it)
July 5, 2017 1:41 pm  

@geoheil,

I got the NVIDIA chip model status as well in between one of the steps. Here are some things that I did that resolved that.

1. Run the goalque script in the URL mode to get the correct NVIDIA driver for your card, or update/reinstall the driver you have currently.

2. It doesn't look like you have an external display attached to the card. I would recommend trying that as well as that seemed to make a difference for mine being found.

The good news is that you're on your way to getting the NVIDA part to play nice so you're past the first hurdle of it being recognized in that OS build.

ReplyQuote
nightwingin_it
(@nightwingin_it)
July 5, 2017 1:45 pm  

@slsmaster,

After the drivers are installed, and before the restart, are you able to confirm the 1080ti card is being found in the "about this mac" system information?

ReplyQuote
nightwingin_it
(@nightwingin_it)
July 6, 2017 1:17 pm  
Posted by: geoheil

I edited the build number and have some partial success. At least the Nvidia recognizes that **something** from Nvidia is present. However, as you see on the screenshots I do not see the 1080 TI. Do you have some suggestions?

I tried starting up the machine without the external monitor plugged in to the GPU and was able to recreate the screen you saw with only the NVIDIA Chip Model being shown.

I then shutdown the machine, plugged the screen back in and started it up and the GPU was shown no problems.

Hopefully that helps.

ReplyQuote
D1gits
(@d1gits)
July 9, 2017 6:32 pm  

Hi there! First of all, thanks for the fantastic explanation you have made : )

I still got the problem a lot of people have here. I don't get the Nvidia Card to show up in the System. I just get the

Has any one a fix for this?

EDIT: It works great with my Macbook Pro late 2016, but not with the one from 2017. Even with the updated .plist

Media Performance and Magic for a new era
- www.sirqusalfon.com - www.d1gits.com -

ReplyQuote
slsmaster
(@slsmaster)
July 12, 2017 8:28 am  
Posted by: geoheil

Were you able to get it running ? 

nightwingin_it: 

No it doesn't show the Nvidia Card in "About this Mac". The driver is normally loaded after reboot, but the .kext just won't load because it thinks the MacOS Version is wrong (at least this is my guess). I even altered the plist located in the driver kext with the default version number of the rMBP 2017 but still no luck.....

ReplyQuote
Lunchbox
(@lunchbox)
Eminent Member
July 14, 2017 3:27 am  

I am having the same issue as well on my 15" Macbook pro 2017...  I changed the version in systemversion.plst which allowed the drivers to install, but every time I boot I get the error saying I can't use them and need to run from default drivers.  Under graphics and displays in system viewer the card is coming up as "Display".  Type is GPU and vendor is NVIDIA (0x10de).  Kernel Extension Info: says no Kext loaded.  Has anyone gotten this working?

2017 3.1ghz 15" MBP, 16gb of Ram, and Radeon 560 - Mantiz Venus EGPU with Silverstone SX800-LTI 800W power supply and Noctua fan - EVGA SC 1080TI - LG 34UC87M-B

ReplyQuote
Lunchbox
(@lunchbox)
Eminent Member
July 14, 2017 7:37 pm  

@nightwingin_it

What software did you use to edit systemversion.plist as I used xcode...  Maybe that is the difference?

2017 3.1ghz 15" MBP, 16gb of Ram, and Radeon 560 - Mantiz Venus EGPU with Silverstone SX800-LTI 800W power supply and Noctua fan - EVGA SC 1080TI - LG 34UC87M-B

ReplyQuote
D1gits
(@d1gits)
July 15, 2017 2:50 pm  

Same here. I edited the .plist file in Xcode since I did not understand how to make the change in the Terminal. Any chance to get a quick video in how to do this change of values in the Terminal? I tried a few time without any luck...

Media Performance and Magic for a new era
- www.sirqusalfon.com - www.d1gits.com -

ReplyQuote
slsmaster
(@slsmaster)
July 19, 2017 7:32 am  
Posted by: D1gits

Same here. I edited the .plist file in Xcode since I did not understand how to make the change in the Terminal. Any chance to get a quick video in how to do this change of values in the Terminal? I tried a few time without any luck...

@D1gits

I have tried it with nano, still no luck. I used this command: sudo nano -w /System/Library/CoreServices/SystemVersion.plist

nightwingin_it: 

Have you done anything else to get it running? 

ReplyQuote
nightwingin_it
(@nightwingin_it)
July 19, 2017 8:31 pm  

@slsmaster @LunchBox

I updated the plist with Atom instead of Xcode. So perhaps that led to the differences between our implementations. Let me know if that changes anything for you. 

ReplyQuote
Lunchbox
(@lunchbox)
Eminent Member
July 19, 2017 8:46 pm  

With the release of 10.12.6 today I am hoping NVIDIA releases updated drivers for it shortly and that those updated drivers will fix our issues with the odd build number.  

ReplyQuote
Lunchbox
(@lunchbox)
Eminent Member
July 21, 2017 1:38 pm  

NVIDIA apparently updated their drivers last night for 10.12.6 so I decided to update my system software try new drivers.  The new drivers with the OS update seem to have resolved all issues I was having getting the egpu to function under Mac OS 10.12.5 16F20237

D1gits, Rycco and theitsage liked
ReplyQuote
Atty
 Atty
(@atty)
July 23, 2017 3:55 am  

Do you have Windows on your Mac? I have the exact same machine and wanted to install Windows but unsure how this set up would run in that environment. If you have tested this can you provide any insight? 

ReplyQuote
Lunchbox
(@lunchbox)
Eminent Member
July 23, 2017 5:20 am  

I am running windows 10 on my 2017 15" Macbook Pro with the Mantiz Venus and an EVTGA 1080 TI SC2 and the only issue I have is if I close the laptop fully it goes to sleep, despite the external display, keyboard and mouse (this is not an issue while running OSX).  Windows 10 has required no special setup. 

ReplyQuote