2017 15" MacBook Pro (RP560) [7th,4C,H] + RX Vega 56 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Blackmagic eG...

Notifications
Clear all

2017 15" MacBook Pro (RP560) [7th,4C,H] + RX Vega 56 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Blackmagic eGPU Pro) + macOS 10.15.5 & Win10 2004  

of  2
  RSS

swistak
(@swistak)

I'll document perhaps what works, because it does seem like windows + bootcamp + osx has a hard limit of 2 devices in TB3 chain

On OSX (2017/2019 Macbook Pro 15")

- MBP -> BM eGPU Pro -> LG #1 ->LG#2 works fine

- MBP -> LG#1 -> LG#2 works fine too

On Windows + bootcamp

- MBP -> BM eGPU Pro -> LG #1 ->LG#2 No video

- MBP -> LG#1 -> LG#2 works fine too

- MBP -> BM eGPU Pro -> LG #1 (No video on 2019, works fine on 2017)

- MBP -> BM eGPU Pro -> LG #1  MBP -> LG#2 (works fine on 2017, video output only on LG#2 on 2019)

- MBP -> BM eGPU Pro -> LG #1  BM eGPU PRO (displayport) -> LG#2 (works fine on 2017, only displayport output on LG#2 on 2019)

I really didn't expect compatibility to be such an uphill battle. My guess is that the thunderbolt firmware on macs might be a bit older than whatever comes from Lenovo/HP/Dell. It also seems like there are 2 types of controller per generation (Alpine Ridge/Titan Ridge) and that they are connected to the CPU in different ways (via PCH or otherwise) which causes havoc. What I found quite strange is that both generation of Macbook Pro use the same version of the PCH driver from bootcamp, but they behave differently. 

It does make me wonder if lack of Titan Ridge adoption among eGPU enclosure manufacturers is due to issues like these? 

This post was modified 8 months ago
2019 15" MacBook Pro (RP560X) [9th,8C,H] + RX Vega 56 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Blackmagic eGPU Pro) + macOS 10.15.5 & Win10 2004 [build link]  

joevt liked
ReplyQuote
bigmikeuk
(@bigmikeuk)

I have very similar setup to the OP.

Are there any software monitoring apps for the Mac that will help me get information about the egpu (temps and fan)?  Ideally I would like to control the fan settings.  All ones tried just show/control the mac and nothing about the egpu.

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
 of  2