I am able to use internal iMac montior with the eGpu.Everything was plug n play.
Only issue so far is, while rebooting I get a black screen, have to disconnect eGPU before hand (no idea if this can be fixed)
System Specs[System]: Apple iMac (Retina 5k, 27-inch, 2017) [0S]: Windows 10 Build 1909 (Boot-Camp), Display resolution: 5120x2880 [CPU]: Intel core i5-7600 @ 3.5 GHz [dGPU]: AMD Radeon Pro RX 575, 4GB DDR5 [RAM]: 32GB DDR4 [GPU Drivers]: BootCamp AMD Radeon Pro v19.30.01.53
eGPU Hardware[enclosure]: Razer Core X Chroma, 700 Watts [eGPU]: EVGA - Super XC Ultra Gaming NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 Super, 8GB DDR6
Philips Hue Synced via Razer Synapse, Sony XF900, fit-headless GS
**will share soon (post limit).
1. Install Windows 10 x64, 1909 via Bootcamp.
2. After automatic installation of bootcamp drivers, don't restart.
3. Open Apple Software Update & update all (bootcamp, drivers etc.)
4. Don't Restart yet !!!!
5. Open Radeon Pro Settings, check for updates and let AMD automatically update to latest drivers.
6. Reboot the system. (If this is your first time, you will reboot directly into bootcamp)
7. Plug included TB3 cable to iMac & razer core x chroma, switch it on.
8. Windows recognizes the razer, install the required drivers but Device Manager was listing Microsoft Basic Adapter.
9. After couple of seconds, razer synapse pop-ed up for installation. While it was getting installed, windows automatically updated drivers for RTX 2080 super.
10. Installed current drivers + geforce experience.
(All this while have not connected any external screen). Even in Display - Graphic Settings. Nvidia was listed as High Performance (Set Graphics Performance)
11. Connected Sony XF900, this enabled the HDR option missing from AMD.
12. Started steam, played destiny (added to Graphics Performance preference as High) ~ No issues (Highest Settings, 3840x2160 ~ smooth 60 fps)
13. Disconnected the external tv and repeated the above on internal iMac screen with same performance.
14. Rebooted the system (bootcamp as default). Ended with a black screen with eGpu on. had to switch it off.
15. Unplugged, rebooted and as windows logo appeared, plugged in eGpu back and repeated the above steps to be sure everything was working.
Still have to run benchmarks. Will update the post.
This build is gaming and work related. Earlier for gaming was using GeForce Experience for MAC. I hope Nvidia releases drivers on mac so can finally use cuda (RTX + Catalina) than amd workarounds for parallel programming.
Hi. It's nice to see that People get it to work.
The light on the is there, the fan works on the enclosure works and that's it.
I have no idea what to do...
@michal_laszczak, first you're doing this on windows not mac (nvidia cards don't work on mac)
Let's go one by one...
1. When you hook your core x to windows, do you hear any sound, screen freeze (goes black for few seconds) and brightness way up?
2. If not, open Device Manager.. is Nvidia listed in Display Adapters?
3. If there, make sure it's not disabled.
Once detected, then only you'll be able to install nvidia drivers.
Let me know how it goes, will try to help with setup.
@wanderabyss, thank you for a quick reply.
1. When I plug Core X in nothing happens. There's no sound or anything.
When I opened Device Manager, I noticed it does reset after pluging in the eGPU, however the Display Adapter does not change, only Thunderbolt under System Devices pops up.
2. Nvidia is not listed anywhere
Maybe the card is simply defect? I ordered it via DPD. It could get damaged on the way.
Otherwise Windows should at least show an unrecognized device, right?
Appreciate any help with this
@wanderabyss, yep I'm pretty sure. I did it twice already. There's 6+6 on this one. I took it out dusted a bit and put I back in. The lights go off, the fans spin for a half a second and that's that.
@michal_laszczak, try changing the connectors, even I missed it first time. Am using evga card which has 6+6 but on Razer Had to connect 4+2 pins first(bottom) and then 4 pin on top connector (facing backwards - I/o ports) .. that did the trick for me. if fans spinned means card is not getting the required power when you connected tb3 on iMac (am using the last port). Other thing my tb3 cable on egpu side only works in one way if I connect other way around it doesn't. (May be cable fault) anyways have you tried the card in some PC? Atleast will give an idea if it's at fault or not.
@wanderabyss, ok I don't really know what you mean.
The power supply has 2 cables. Each haas 6+2 pins. Both connectors are on top of the card and are both connected.
@michal_laszczak, thats a bummer. only issue i think of was cables. (may be swapping there positions on gpu). First, if you could check out the gpu condition? if in working order, then you can also reach out to razer support for help.