System specs (model inc screen size, CPU, iGPU, dGPU, operating system)
- 2017 27" iMac 5K
- 3.4GHz Quad-Core i5 7500
- 32GB DDR4 2666MHz
- AMD 570 4GB dGPU
- macOS Catalina 10.15.4
eGPU hardware (eGPU enclosure, video card, any third-party TB3 cable, any custom mods)
Installation steps (what did you do to get it all going?)
- Idle at macOS desktop
- Plug in the eGPU
- Everything works!
- Set eGPU preference for chosen apps
- Right-click on app
- Choose Show Info
- Choose Prefer External GPU
- All set!
CS:GO - Internal Screen
Divinity Original Sin 2 - Internal Screen
Comments (eg: how has the eGPU improved your workflow or gaming)
- I'm not sure I think it's ideal to buy a Radeon 5700 XT for gaming in macOS on a 2017 5K iMac, in particular with internal monitor acceleration.
- My tests using an RTX 2070 in Windows 10 yielded better results. But the convenience of staying in macOS is hard to beat.
- In some games, like CS:GO, the eGPU rendered a huge performance loss at 1440p, Low settings.
- I would probably suggest setting up a gaming server and streaming from it instead, to be honest.
- Moonlight streaming or Parsec gives amazing performance from my decade-old Mac Pro with a Xeon X5690 and RTX 2070. This way my iMac runs cool and the heat is generated somewhere else in my house.
- The only problem with streaming is the iMac GPU's HVEC hardware decoder being limited to max 4K. (So, no 5K streaming) 🙁