2017 27" iMac 5k RP575 + GTX [email protected] (Mantiz Venus) + MacOS 10.13.3 Build for Octane Render  

RSS

Korie.psd
(@korie-psd)
May 20, 2018 4:59 pm  

My plan was to create a native MacOS experience (No boot camp) with as many Cuda cores as possible, so I could render in Octane for Cinema 4D. It has been very successful! I do plan to document and purchase another 1080Ti and Mantis Venus plugged into the same system. So, in the end, I will have x2 Mantis Venus eGPU enclosures and x2 GTX 1080Ti's, equivalent to 7168 Cuda cores. Then when the modular Mac Pro is announced, I will sell my iMac and switch over gaining another 2 PCIe slots for an additional x2 GPU's, along with my eGPU's, so hopefully 14336 Cuda cores!

System Specs:

iMac Retina 5K, 27-inch, Late 2017, Kaby Lake 3.5 GHz Intel Core i5, 2TB Fusion Drive, 8GB 2400 MHz DDR4, AMD Radeon Pro 575 4GB, MacOS High Sierra 10.13.3.

Hardware:

Mantiz Venus eGPU (Space Grey), ASUS NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti, Belkin Thunderbolt 3 cable, Thermaltake RGB Silent Fan, Headless Ghost in HDMI for GPU acceleration.

Hardware pictures:

Installation:
 Honestly, really straightforward. I followed these steps to the letter: https://egpu.io/forums/mac-setup/wip-nvidia-egpu-support-for-high-sierra/paged/1/

1. Remove/undo any Info.plist modifications (they aren't needed anymore and might conflict).
2. Install NVIDIA Web drivers. This must be done with SIP enabled! You can use this script for Nvidia web drivers installation:  https://github.com/vulgo/webdriver.sc
3. Disable SIP (or just enable unsigned drivers with csrutil enable --without kext)
4. Installed the nvidia-egpu-v6.zip
5. Restart your Mac (If you get a black screen on restart and MacOS doesn't boot. Turn off eGPU, restart your Mac until you see the login screen, then turn your GPU back on. MacOS will then switch to your GPU.)

Benchmarks:
Coming soon, these will be Octane based benchmarks.

Notes:

Many thanks to the eGPu community, you've made this process so straightforward and easy! If anyone has any questions at all on my build just let me know.

iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, TB3) MacOS High Sierra 10.13.3.
Mantiz Venus eGPU, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11BG, AMD Radeon Pro 575 4GB
www.koriecull.com

nando4 liked
ReplyQuote
rb999
(@rb999)
July 6, 2018 9:08 pm  

Did you get your 1080TI to work using your internal display only? Assuming that's why you purchased the Ghost Adapter.

Soon I will add my system & eGPU details or a build link to this my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
woowah
(@woowah)
September 25, 2018 12:36 pm  

Hi @korie-psd

How did you get on with running octane? I'd be keen to hear.

Ive got a very similar iMac, but my on board graphics card is an RP580... does that make any difference?

& is there a reason you went for the Mantiz, over say an Akito? (just interested)

Soon I will add my system & eGPU details or a build link to this my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
Korie.psd
(@korie-psd)
November 26, 2018 9:47 am  

@rb999 Yes, the 1080TI worked straight away and was recognised by the iMac in the Thunderbolt section of System Report. I only brought to ghost adapter to test if my IPR window and renders were faster. It did work, the IPR is significantly fast at times when the Ghost is connected but it's not necessary. Render times are pretty much the same with or without.

www.koriecull.com

ReplyQuote
Korie.psd
(@korie-psd)
November 26, 2018 9:51 am  

Hi @woowah, I like Mantiz, they reply to all my messages and tweets on Twitter if I ever need help, It feels like a local company even though it's far away. Also, it doesn't hurt that it has many USB 3.0 ports and the design is great! I don't think your internal GPU will make much difference.

www.koriecull.com

ReplyQuote