2017 13" Dell XPS 9360 + FirePro [email protected] (Asus ROG XG Station 2) + Win10 [R-Marked]^  

RSS

R-Marked
(@r-marked)
June 20, 2017 11:35 am  

Hi Guys,

I got my XPS 13 9360 working with XG Station 2. Even though Intel software still reports that external graphics cards are not supported.

• Intel Thunderbolt 3 NVM 21, downloaded from the US website. Finnish website did not have this yet available.
  • Asus ROG XG Station firmware version 25 released just a few weeks ago.

After this everything just worked and there hasn't been any larger issues. I'm still testing for if wake up is normal every time, but overall general use is working.

Soon I will add my system & eGPU details or a build link to this my signature to give context to my posts

sicily428, Sky11, theitsage and 1 people liked
ReplyQuote
Sky11
(@sky11)
Reputable Member
June 21, 2017 2:58 pm  

Hi R-Marked,

- What AMD driver are you using?

- have you updates your laptop's system BIOS?  http://www.dell.com/support/home/ca/en/cabsdt1/Drivers/DriversDetails?driverId=8C84P

- are you seeing any sleep related issues? Crimson 17.6.1/2 has a fix for that (sleep related issues on 9360), but that driver only applies only to consumer cards (like RX /R9).

Please let me know.

Soon I will add my system & eGPU details or a build link to this my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
jlli
 jlli
(@jlli)
June 23, 2017 7:55 am  

Hi OP, do you have problem with the plasma tube, my one is dead after two days.

ReplyQuote
R-Marked
(@r-marked)
June 26, 2017 5:51 am  

Hi,

the AMD FirePro driver is version 17.Q2.1 / Driver Packaging Version 17.10.1730.1004-170605a-315017C-RadeonProEnterprise.
Recovering from sleep is ok, but hibernation causes a crash.

Two things that bugged me, first was the USB-C gen2 cable is short, I had to buy a longer one for my setup. It's only 90 cm long due to gen2 specs. And you have to know that  is needs to be gen2, it's not clearly stated anywhere. I got the answer from Asus support after a few emails. This whole USB-C/TB3 thing is awesome but still very messy. Only few resellers/customers really know what they are selling/buying.

The other thing is the power button location. I like to shutdown everything for the night, but it's not really easy or convenient when the power button is inside the enclosure.

ReplyQuote
R-Marked
(@r-marked)
June 26, 2017 5:52 am  

Hi,

my plasma tube is still ok after a week. But I really don't mind it, I'd rather not have it at all.

ReplyQuote
Sky11
(@sky11)
Reputable Member
June 26, 2017 11:26 am  
Posted by: R-Marked

Hi,

the AMD FirePro driver is version 17.Q2.1 / Driver Packaging Version 17.10.1730.1004-170605a-315017C-RadeonProEnterprise.
Recovering from sleep is ok, but hibernation causes a crash.

Two things that bugged me, first was the USB-C gen2 cable is short, I had to buy a longer one for my setup. It's only 90 cm long due to gen2 specs. And you have to know that  is needs to be gen2, it's not clearly stated anywhere. I got the answer from Asus support after a few emails. This whole USB-C/TB3 thing is awesome but still very messy. Only few resellers/customers really know what they are selling/buying.

The other thing is the power button location. I like to shutdown everything for the night, but it's not really easy or convenient when the power button is inside the enclosure.

Hello, I have good news for you: the fix for hibernation crash is coming - new FirePro driver with the fix will posted sometime in July (I will post the driver here on the forum as well)

Longer Thunderbolt3 cables are available, but a still pricey and not easy to get. Here is one I ordered (2M long), waiting for it to arrive:  http://www.caldigit.com/Thunderbolt-3-USB-C-Type-C-Charge-Cable/#Thunderbolt3

theitsage liked
ReplyQuote
R-Marked
(@r-marked)
June 27, 2017 6:05 am  
Posted by: Sky11

Hello, I have good news for you: the fix for hibernation crash is coming - new FirePro driver with the fix will posted sometime in July (I will post the driver here on the forum as well)

Longer Thunderbolt3 cables are available, but a still pricey and not easy to get. Here is one I ordered (2M long), waiting for it to arrive:  http://www.caldigit.com/Thunderbolt-3-USB-C-Type-C-Charge-Cable/#Thunderbolt3

Hi,

I think that this problem needs some new firmwares to be solved. When I press the power button on the XPS when hibernation is activated, nothing happens. Everything just freezes. I need to unplug the tb cable from the XPS and then long press on the XPS power button. After this Windows will ask if it needs to do some problem solving or just a restart.

ReplyQuote
Sky11
(@sky11)
Reputable Member
June 27, 2017 10:21 am  

- Have you update your laptop's system BIOS?   http://www.dell.com/support/home/ca/en/cabsdt1/Drivers/DriversDetails?driverId=8C84P

ReplyQuote
R-Marked
(@r-marked)
June 27, 2017 10:24 am  
Posted by: Sky11

- Have you update your laptop's system BIOS?   http://www.dell.com/support/home/ca/en/cabsdt1/Drivers/DriversDetails?driverId=8C84P

Yep, I have installed the latest bios update from Dell.

ReplyQuote
Sky11
(@sky11)
Reputable Member
June 27, 2017 10:36 am  

Thats good. I have no ASUS XG2 so I cannot check what you are seeing. New driver will posted in a month, and I know for sure that for consumer cards like regular RX5xx, Crimson 17.6.1  resolved BSOD issue when you try to resume from hibernation.

As a temporary workaround, I suggest you to disable hibernation is OS settings - sleep should work; am I right?

ReplyQuote
sicily428
(@sicily428)
Trusted Member
June 27, 2017 11:49 am  

Hi Guys,

I got my XPS 13 9360 working with XG Station 2. Even though Intel software still reports that external graphics cards are not supported.

• Intel Thunderbolt 3 NVM 21, downloaded from the US website. Finnish website did not have this yet available.
  • Asus ROG XG Station firmware version 25 released just a few weeks ago.

After this everything just worked and there hasn't been any larger issues. I'm still testing for if wake up is normal every time, but overall general use is working.

Hi! does it work? do you work with 3D applications? did you test that card with SPECviewperf 12.1?

here some benchmarks for a comparison

http://techgage.com/article/amd-radeon-pro-wx-5100-wx-4100-workstation-gpu-review/4/

ReplyQuote
R-Marked
(@r-marked)
June 28, 2017 10:36 am  

Here are the benchmark results from Specviewperf 12.1

For comparison:

I think that the results are excellent. Especially when compared to the test setup of Asus X99, i7-5960X, 16GB. That's a full desktop and I'm using an ultrabook.

ReplyQuote
sicily428
(@sicily428)
Trusted Member
June 28, 2017 11:40 am  

Here are the benchmark results from Specviewperf 12.1

For comparison:

I think that the results are excellent. Especially when compared to the test setup of Asus X99, i7-5960X, 16GB. That's a full desktop and I'm using an ultrabook.

thanks for your tests! these infos are really useful 🙂

theitsage liked
ReplyQuote
Sky11
(@sky11)
Reputable Member
July 28, 2017 1:22 pm  

R-Marked, as I promised there is a new AMD Graphics driver posted - Radeon Pro Software Enterprise 17.Q3   http://support.amd.com/en-us/download/workstation?os=Windows%2010%20-%2064#pro-driver

Please uninstall your old driver before installing the new one.

P.S. The specific bug fix for XPS13 is not mentioned, but there is some cool stuff here:   https://pro.radeon.com/en-us/delivering-power-efficiency-improved-performance-radeon-pro-software-enterprise-driver-17-q3/

theitsage liked
ReplyQuote