2017 13" HP Elitebook x360 1030 G2 + [email protected] (AKiTiO Node) + Win10 [myuu]^  

RSS

myuu
 myuu
(@myuu)
June 6, 2017 5:38 am  

Hi all! Been lurking for a while, but finally got around to doing something like this. Not really sure if this can be called a guide, because everything went smoothly.

Host

• HP EliteBook x360 1030 G2, similar to this configuration but with a 4K touchscreen without WWAN.

eGPU

Pretty much plug & play:

1. Make sure external monitor has input set to the eGPU (I made the stupid mistake of not realizing it was still connected to my desktop via DVI).
  2. Power on eGPU.
  3. Power on laptop.
  4. Connect Thunderbolt 3 cable from the eGPU to the laptop.
  5. Install NVidia Drivers, version 382.33.
  6. Reboot.

The eGPU was able to drive both external monitor and internal LCD with minimal performance loss.

Benchmarks, screenshots, pictures, and other related ramblings on my blog post.

Soon I will add my system & eGPU details or a build link to this my signature to give context to my posts

nando4 liked
ReplyQuote
ameatball
(@ameatball)
June 6, 2017 7:37 am  

Hello,

Thanks so much for kindly posting this super helpful information.  I just ordered an Elitebook x360 G2 with an i7 7600u, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD, and the 4K UHD screen.  I am definitely going to set it up with the Node eGPU as well.

I was actually wondering - what kind of battery life are you getting out of the 4k screen?  All of the reviews are saying 10+ hours but that is with the Full HD screen.  I would greatly appreciate it if you could let me know.

Thanks again.

Soon I will add my system & eGPU details or a build link to this my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
myuu
 myuu
(@myuu)
June 6, 2017 11:03 am  

Hey there. So far I seem to be getting at most 6 hours. It's not great, but well, it has a small battery I suppose. :/

ReplyQuote
ameatball
(@ameatball)
June 6, 2017 5:56 pm  

That is unfortunately WAY lower battery life than I expected 🙁

My choice was basically between this and the ThinkPad X1 Yoga (2017 version).  I am curious as to what the battery life is like for that one.  I know the OLED QHD screen on that one has awful battery life still, but I wonder if the non-OLED QHD screen has at least decent battery life.  

What are your thoughts on the Wacom AES Pen  compared to the Surface Pro 4 Pen (if you've used both)?

Also, is your battery life on heavy load even less than 5 hours?

Sorry for so many random questions, it's hard to find people with the Elitebook x360 (4k screen version), so I'm really curious as to performance and battery with the 4k screen.

Thanks so much for your kind info.

ReplyQuote
myuu
 myuu
(@myuu)
June 7, 2017 6:15 am  

Perhaps my usage pattern is heavier than most people. I'd have 10 Chrome tabs open, while browsing and watching facebook or youtube movies, and some Office 2016 activity on the side. I have my brightness set more than 50% too. UI scale at 225%.

I haven't really had a chance to fully utilize the pen, and I don't have a Surface either.

I haven't actually put much heavier use on the laptop while on battery yet. But if I run Prime95 large FFTs in place, the battery drains from 96% (it wouldn't charge to 100% at that particular time) after 2 1/2 hours, if that's any indication. 

I think you can pretty much expect the same battery life as the Spectre x360 with the same screen configuration, as seen here:  https://www.notebookcheck.net/HP-Spectre-x360-13-7500U-4K-UHD-Convertible-Review.210812.0.html  where he mentions point (2) below:

2)...and far, far more important: the 4k unit could not provide 9 hours of battery life with wifi on and the screen at anything over 20 nit, and even then I don't think it would.  Just this week approximately 7 professional reviews of the 4k model have been published (we're talking the 13,3", not the 15.6" (which has a much larger battery) and on average they got between 5 and 6 hours battery life, which is exactly the range I achieved under several moderate use cases.  Just streaming a Netflix (not at 4k) the unit powered down 3 times at 5.8-6,2 hrs.  Plus, common sense will tell you that if the unit draws an average of 9-11 mw and has a 58 mwh battery, there's no way it will come close to 9 hrs.

ReplyQuote
miro
 miro
(@miro)
December 20, 2017 9:42 pm  

Hi myuu,

I have "the same" machine - 2017 13" HP Elitebook x360 1030 G2 4k and I'm considering buying the same, or very similar egpu (considering node pro, because of 60W for USB-C power delivery). Not many people own this machine, so it's not easy to find information and I'd like to have few questions for you:

- Do you have any update after testing your setup for 7 months ? I checked your blog post, but maybe you ran into some issues since the original post, which was written right after few tests, or maybe you just have some ideas, what are you missing in this setup and might be available using different egpu. 

- Did you try any external 4K monitor and in case you did, was it working OK and @60Hz (not sure if it's even theoretically possible using akitio node)

- Is the setup working as plug and play? I mean, you just plug the egpu to the Elitebook and it's working, or you need to restart it every time before using ?

Thanks for your your response and you chose great laptop (although I already have few issues and I'm not 100% sure, I would buy it again 🙂 ).

ReplyQuote