2017 27" iMac Pro Vega64 + [email protected] (Mantiz Venus) + MacOS 10.13.6 [wpratt]  

RSS

wpratt
(@wpratt)
September 18, 2018 7:09 pm  

SYSTEM SPECS
iMac Pro (2017)
Processor: 3 GHz Intel Xeon W
Memory: 64 GB 2666 MHz DDR4
On Board GPU: Radeon Pro Vega 64 16368 MB
2nd Monitor: LG Ultrafine

eGPU HARDWARE:
Enclosure: Mantiz Venus MZ-02
GPU: NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 1080ti 11GB
Cable: Belkin Thunderbolt 3 Cable (1.6 Feet / 0.5 Meters)

HARDWARE PICTURES:

INSTALLATION STEPS:
1. Install card into enclosure. The card I used has two 8-pin inputs. It required using two 6-pin + 2-pin configurations to power fully.
2. Get your eGPU set up to be quickly/easily plugged in. When the scrip is running, you only have 20s to plug it in.
3. Disable SIP. Using directions here:
4. Run Script. Again, using directions here:
5. Make sure eGPU is unplugged on reboot.
6. BEFORE logging in, plug in and power on eGPU.
7. Log in.

BENCHMARKS:

COMMENTS:
My only goal for this build was to run Octane Render with Cinema4D. I do not have any Ghost head plugs, or displays out of the enclosure. My system monitor and secondary monitor are still running on the onboard GPU, while the eGPU allows Octane to run. Software/ Driver versions are:

OSX
: 10.13.6 (17G65)
Nvidia WebDriver: 387.10.10.10.40.105
CUDA: 396.148
Cinema4d: R19.068 (Build RB245443)
Octane: 3.08

Soon I will add my system & eGPU details or a build link to this my signature to give context to my posts

theitsage liked
ReplyQuote
Topic Tags
theitsage
(@itsage)
Famed Member Admin
September 18, 2018 7:21 pm  

@wpratt Nice build guide! I'm not familiar with OctaneBench. How does it compared to GTX 1080 Ti when installed in Mac Pro towers for example?

Best ultrabooks for eGPU use

eGPU enclosure buying guide

86 external GPU build guides

ReplyQuote
wpratt
(@wpratt)
September 18, 2018 7:28 pm  

@theitsage Thank you! As for OctaneBench It's my first time running it. It was recommended by @devild. He might have a better answer.

Soon I will add my system & eGPU details or a build link to this my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
Mize
 Mize
(@mize)
Eminent Member
September 29, 2018 5:59 pm  

I see you're not actually using the egpu as a display driver. By any chance did you just try it to see if it works?

iMac Pro (2017), 3.2 GHz Xeon W, 32 GB, 1TB SSD, RX Vega 56 + AKiTiO Node Pro w/ Zotac 1080 Ti, working with login hack on 10.13.3 but BROKEN by Apple blocking Nvidia in 10.13.4. Boo-hiss you Apple!

ReplyQuote
wpratt
(@wpratt)
October 3, 2018 9:13 pm  

@mize Hey! I haven't tried that yet. But i will give it a shot when i have a free second.

ReplyQuote
devild
(@devild)
Trusted Member
October 7, 2018 1:45 pm  

@itsage, here is the result of GTX1080Ti in "iMac Pro" hack (with 7960X CPU).

And for two GTX1080Ti in the same hack.

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even death may die.

theitsage liked
ReplyQuote
theitsage
(@itsage)
Famed Member Admin
October 7, 2018 5:44 pm  

Thank you for sharing the results. That scaled very well with two GTX 1080 Ti eGPUs.

Best ultrabooks for eGPU use

eGPU enclosure buying guide

86 external GPU build guides

ReplyQuote
benek
(@benek)
October 13, 2018 1:20 pm  

I have my iMac Pro + 1080TI + Sonnet Breakaway working fine, but one thing missing is the eGPU icon in the menu bar… just wondered whether anyone might know why this is?

Everything else appears to be working ok, just missing that icon.

ReplyQuote
davestyle
(@davestyle)
October 24, 2018 7:44 pm  

Has anyone here had luck on Bootcamp? I am unable to get the TB3 ports to work. 

No response from any thunderbolt device. I have tried latest Intel drivers, the thunderbolt controller disconnects a few minutes after startup. 

Has anyone with a imac pro had a smiliar situation? 

ReplyQuote
Mize
 Mize
(@mize)
Eminent Member
October 25, 2018 6:54 pm  

I'm finally back to using MacOS a bit and would like to get egpu working again in MacOS.
For those on this thread who have it working (for display purposes), can you please post what fix/scripts you used?
I've not updated to Mojave yet for fear it will break bootcamp.

iMac Pro (2017), 3.2 GHz Xeon W, 32 GB, 1TB SSD, RX Vega 56 + AKiTiO Node Pro w/ Zotac 1080 Ti, working with login hack on 10.13.3 but BROKEN by Apple blocking Nvidia in 10.13.4. Boo-hiss you Apple!

ReplyQuote
Tico
 Tico
(@tico)
Eminent Member
October 25, 2018 8:52 pm  

I have a similar setup as yours except I have the iMac Pro Vega 54 and a Sonnet Breakaway. I followed your guide, but I'm not
seeing the graphics cards either the gtx 1080 or the Titan V.  I can see & use both when I'm connected to my 2018 MBP.
Anu suggestions?
thanks

☀️θ∆ics🌎
MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2014),2.8 GHz Intel Core i7 16 GB NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M 2048 MB, Intel Iris Pro 1536 MB
MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, 2018) I9, 2.9 GHZ 16gb Radeon Pro 560x 4 gb
Sonnet BA 650w (upgraded), Titan V & Sonnet BA 650w NVIDIA gtx 1080
Mantiz Venus RX VEGA 8 gb
iMacPro 64 gig. VEGA 54 using Sonnet BA

ReplyQuote
wolfrenegade
(@wolfrenegade)
November 15, 2018 10:17 pm  

Long time lurker, first-time poster...

Firstly, great community here and one of the only places I've found that talks about the eGPU compatibility and how to get it working well.

So I have a question mainly for those using either Octane or RedShift like @wpratt. I also have the 10 core iMac Pro - is there any speed/performance reductions when using the eGPU setup on the iMac Pro compared to using the same 1080 ti card in a PC build?

And has anyone experienced any problems using either of these 3rd party renderers in C4D?

I'm presently using either the physical renderer or Cycles 4D - both very slow with the onboard CPU processing so i'd like to upgrade and use a dedicated GPU renderer.

Thanks in advance!

ReplyQuote
wpratt
(@wpratt)
November 19, 2018 7:17 pm  

@wolfrenegade hey! ive actually just been dealing with some speed issues using octane. I thought everything was going very well till i noticed my coworkers refresh rate on a windows machine. It was extremely quick / smooth in comparison to mine, even though hes running a lesser card. After a little research I found that the version of the octane plugin and standalone application has an effect on the refresh rate in the viewer. i'm currently running 3.08.3 which is two releases back from current. It doesn't run as smoothly still, but much better than 3.08.05. I feel that the on board card and the eGPU are struggling with one another. but i don't have any evidence to back that guess up.

So i think the answer to your question is yes. There seems to be a speed/performance reduction.

ReplyQuote