2017 27" iMac Pro (Vega64) [7th,10C,W] + GTX 1080 Ti @ 32Gbps-TB3 (AKiTiO Node) ...

Notifications
Clear all

2017 27" iMac Pro (Vega64) [7th,10C,W] + GTX 1080 Ti @ 32Gbps-TB3 (AKiTiO Node) + macOS 10.13.2 [DANgerous25]  

of  7
  RSS

(@przemyslaw_sobiecki)

Hello,

Are you going to try to run nvidia egpu card without the second display? I am going to buy imacpro for my reasons... but I also want to start rendering with octane/other gpu+cuda based rendering engine. So we know that there are some imac (old) solutions to run egpu on internal 5K retina display. I dont have any spare place on my desk neither want to neglect that internal display. Will you try to run it that way?

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
Baris Oktem
(@baris-oktem)

i already try that with my old 2014 imac and works. Only problem is when you open system you need to be take out thunderbolt cable and plug it again and log out and log in again. It's very annoying in some cases, because sometimes not working at all. I was using for Octane and Redshift in my iMac and that works. I didn't measure Thunderbolt3 cuda speed but my 980ti works with Octane really good.

Now i will start same thing for iMac Pro but same log out log in take out cable plug in plug out that's very annoying. Maybe just for closing egpu box works i hope. Maybe when i open system and some point open egpu box works.

I heard for macpro thats working like that.

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
devild
(@devild)
Trusted Member

Hey DANgerous25,

what is the build version of macOS after 10.13.2 Supplemental Update?

Is it 17C205? Or is it again some special?

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even death may die.

ReplyQuote
sometimesnever
(@sometimesnever)

Hi DANgerous,

Thanks for your hard work.

Prior to High Sierra, I used your fantastic guide and Rastafabi's script to get my Late '14 iMac 5K to work with my Akitio Node / GTX 1080Ti combo.

I was wondering, do I need to do anything special (uninstall/delete traces of the Rastafabi method?) before following the steps to install the yifanlu script?

And are there any other "gotchyas" to look out for when transitioning from the old method to new High Sierra method on a 5K iMac?

Thanks again for all you do. You're a lord!

ReplyQuote
DANgerous25
(@danfalconar)
Estimable Member

Posted by: Baris Oktem

i already try that with my old 2014 imac and works. Only problem is when you open system you need to be take out thunderbolt cable and plug it again and log out and log in again. It's very annoying in some cases, because sometimes not working at all. I was using for Octane and Redshift in my iMac and that works. I didn't measure Thunderbolt3 cuda speed but my 980ti works with Octane really good.

Now i will start same thing for iMac Pro but same log out log in take out cable plug in plug out that's very annoying. Maybe just for closing egpu box works i hope. Maybe when i open system and some point open egpu box works.

I heard for macpro thats working like that.

Unfortunately when using High Sierra for Late 2014 iMac 5K and for iMac Pro you  have to boot with no eGPU, log in, plug in eGPU, log out, log in. If you don't like this then you can use Sierra (not High Sierra) for an alternative solution which isn't perfect but at least gets around that. 

The other issue is that if you switch off the eGPU or unplug it then it causes the system to crash.

Posted by: sometimesnever

Hi DANgerous,

Thanks for your hard work.

Prior to High Sierra, I used your fantastic guide and Rastafabi's script to get my Late '14 iMac 5K to work with my Akitio Node / GTX 1080Ti combo.

I was wondering, do I need to do anything special (uninstall/delete traces of the Rastafabi method?) before following the steps to install the yifanlu script?

And are there any other "gotchyas" to look out for when transitioning from the old method to new High Sierra method on a 5K iMac?

Thanks again for all you do. You're a lord!

Hey there, always glad to be of use to someone!

I uninstalled Rastafabi's script (he provides an uninstaller) before starting fresh for the HS install. However I'm not sure if this is necessary. In any case, I recommend doing it.

The gotya with High Sierra, assuming you are still using your 1080TI or other nVidia card, is that you can't boot with the eGPU plugged in. You have to boot, log in, plug in, log out, log in. But if you can live with that, it's pretty much perfect.

The other minor pain, which is thankfully less painful due to helpful people like @devild, is that you have to reinstall everything when there is a High Sierra update. And if you update too soon before the right webdrivers are available, then you're in for some pain.

So my advice: Go for High Sierra, just don't update to the absolute latest version until you're sure that you have the right webdrivers and eGPU software builds.

Posted by: devild

Hey DANgerous25,

what is the build version of macOS after 10.13.2 Supplemental Update?

Is it 17C205? Or is it again some special?

Sorry buddy just saw this, and we already talked about it in the other post. 17C2205!

Posted by: Przemysław Sobiecki

Hello,

Are you going to try to run nvidia egpu card without the second display? I am going to buy imacpro for my reasons... but I also want to start rendering with octane/other gpu+cuda based rendering engine. So we know that there are some imac (old) solutions to run egpu on internal 5K retina display. I dont have any spare place on my desk neither want to neglect that internal display. Will you try to run it that way?

Sorry for the late reply. I don't believe there is a solution [yet] for using eGPU to drive the internal iMac screen. You need an external monitor. However, if you want to use CUDA then you don't need an external screen and it does work. I managed to test it by setting up an Ethereum miner. btw. you would have to mine for 1000s of years to recoup the cost of the iMac Pro!

2017 27" iMac Pro (Vega64) [7th,10C,W] + GTX 1080 Ti @ 32Gbps-TB3 (AKiTiO Node) + macOS 10.13.2 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
sometimesnever
(@sometimesnever)

Roger that!

Thanks so much for taking the time.

Will set aside some time this weekend to have a crack at this.

Much appreciated, mate.

ReplyQuote
devild
(@devild)
Trusted Member

Why Apple, why? iMac Pro has a separate 10.13.3 update with another build version (17D2047). Let's see if Nvidia will go the previous way and will release special drivers for it.

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even death may die.

ReplyQuote
JROCK
(@jrock)

devild

Let me know if you find a workaround please. So frustrating! This was supposed to just "work" in this update. 

ReplyQuote
devild
(@devild)
Trusted Member

I'll update NVDAEGPUSupport.pkg once new drivers will be available.

Another question: will and when (if yes) Nvidia release drivers for this build?

If no, then script - https://github.com/vulgo/webdriver.sh - will help.

ReplyQuote
devild
(@devild)
Trusted Member

The updated activator.

ReplyQuote
 of  7