2017 27" iMac Pro (Vega64) [7th,10C,W] + GTX 1080 Ti @ 32Gbps-TB3 (AKiTiO Node) ...

Notifications
Clear all

2017 27" iMac Pro (Vega64) [7th,10C,W] + GTX 1080 Ti @ 32Gbps-TB3 (AKiTiO Node) + macOS 10.13.2 [DANgerous25]  

of  7
  RSS

devild
(@devild)
Trusted Member

And here is the driver -  https://images.nvidia.com/mac/pkg/387/WebDriver-387.10.10.10.25.157.pkg

Please check if it's working.

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even death may die.

ReplyQuote
Baris Oktem
(@baris-oktem)

Thank you so much for all this drivers i will try as soon as my imacpro comes Smile

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
DANgerous25
(@danfalconar)
Estimable Member

Works like a charm, @devild! Nice one!

2017 27" iMac Pro (Vega64) [7th,10C,W] + GTX 1080 Ti @ 32Gbps-TB3 (AKiTiO Node) + macOS 10.13.2 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
DANgerous25
(@danfalconar)
Estimable Member

Posted by: DANgerous25

Works like a charm, @devild! Nice one!

Having said that, after only minutes of usage it seems that there is a significant performance hit using 10.3.3. I don't know if it's the webdriver or the OS or something else, but it's so noticeable that I'm in the process of doing a system restore back to 10.3.2. 🙁

Let's hope 10.3.4 is better when it comes out later in the spring.

2017 27" iMac Pro (Vega64) [7th,10C,W] + GTX 1080 Ti @ 32Gbps-TB3 (AKiTiO Node) + macOS 10.13.2 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
devild
(@devild)
Trusted Member

It's the drivers' problem (as many hackintosh users have). Try to install old drivers with the script and use new activator.

The commands for installing old drivers:

sudo ./webdriver.sh -cu https://images.nvidia.com/mac/pkg/378/WebDriver-378.10.10.10.25.106.pkg
sudo ./webdriver.sh -m

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even death may die.

ReplyQuote
ed_co
(@ed_co)
Reputable Member

Hey DANgerous25,

Pretty nice. Have you installed windows already??

Cheers.

E. 

2017 15" MacBook Pro (RP560) [7th,4C,H] + GTX 1080 Ti @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Mantiz Venus) + macOS 10.13 & Win10 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
esatamacmodular
(@esatamacmodular)
Estimable Member

sweet build! best of luck moving forward. when doing rendering do you think the internal amd card kicks in too or is it only rendering with one or the other (other being the egpu 1080)

iMac 2013 10.14.1, Macbook Air 2013 10.11, MBP 2016 13" 10.13.6 , HP 4530s 10.11, node lite, DA-2 PSU w/mod, PE4L 2.1b expresscard34, GTX460,1050Ti,1060,1070/Ti RX470,560,580

2016 13" MacBook Pro [6th,2C,U] + GTX 1060 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (AKiTiO Node Lite) + macOS 10.13.6 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
quantum
(@quantum)

Hey DANgerous25,

no luck here at all. Tried different driver version and so on. Maybe they Akitio node doesn't recognized my GFX Card ?

Someone can give me an advice what else I can try ?

Setup looks like this

GFX Adapter: EVGA Geforce GTX 1080 Ti SC Black Edition

ImacPro 2017
https://imgur.com/QNPckX5

thats what the Akitio Node sees
https://imgur.com/5Nm9wp5

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
DANgerous25
(@danfalconar)
Estimable Member

Hi @quantum, I managed to get my iMac Pro to see my 1080 Ti, however the performance was terrible - trust me it is so bad you wouldn't want to use it, it causes your whole system to lag. Have you tried using 10.13.2? I suggest you give that a try and see if you are able to detect the card.

@esatamacmodular: I'm afraid I can't answer your question as haven't tried rendering. But, I can tell you this: I've tried running various cryptomining scripts and they are able to take advantage of CPU, internal GPU and external GPU all at the same time. I even swapped out the 1080TI for a Vega Frontier Liquid which also worked. The current downside I am seeing is that using eGPU the on-screen graphics is only driven by the eGPU, i.e. the internal Pro Vega 64 [in my system] sits idle while the eGPU drives the internal iMac screen and external screen unless I do something like mining.

ReplyQuote
benr
 benr
(@benr)
Eminent Member

Hi all,

I have an older iMac 5K (2014) with Thunderbolt 2. Currently I have three(!) 1080 Ti cards in a variety of enclosures (TB2 and TB3 with multiple ports).

Under 10.13.3 and the nvidia-egpu-v6 by devild, I am able to daisy chain all three(!) eGPUs and get fully scaled performance in Redshift Render and DaVinci Resolve (both using CUDA). I have to hot plug after booting, and log out and in, but it works reliably. 

I have been debating an iMac Pro or a recent iMac 5K as an upgrade to my core system, but I am starting hear that Thunderbolt 3 will not allow daisy chaining, or even perhaps multiple eGPUs with invidual connections. Since Thunderbolt 2 is very much working with this approach, I am looking for some other input. 

I have tested on my MacBook Pro 15-inch (2016) with the same 10.13.3 and nvidia-egpu-v6, and have experienced kernel panics while attempting to log out and in, or reboot with more than one eGPU attached (either chained or separately). A single eGPU works as expected, but the MacBook Pro has always behaved differently than the iMac in this respect, so I’m still not certain where the TB3 iMacs are at.

I’d like to ask any iMac Pro owners, or indeed iMac 5K with TB3 owners if they have any experience with multiple Nvidia eGPUs for CUDA at this time?

Or has Apple and Intel’s development push to allow official eGPU use on the Mac placed more restrictions on the possible setups than our previous unsupported efforts did?

thanks

nando4 and itsage liked
ReplyQuote
 of  7