2017 27" iMac Pro (Vega64) [7th,10C,W] + GTX 1080 Ti @ 32Gbps-TB3 (AKiTiO Node) ...

Notifications
Clear all

2017 27" iMac Pro (Vega64) [7th,10C,W] + GTX 1080 Ti @ 32Gbps-TB3 (AKiTiO Node) + macOS 10.13.2 [DANgerous25]  

of  7
  RSS

nando4
(@nando4)
Noble Member Admin

@benr, we have a couple of Mac Pro eGPU builds using two (x2) eGPUs:

https://egpu.io/forums/builds/late-2013-mac-pro-trashcan-2x1080ti-sonnet-egpu-macos-10-13-3/
https://egpu.io/forums/builds/2013-mac-pro-2xgtx980ti16gbs-tb2-2x-akitio-thunder2-macos1013-imcalledandy/
https://egpu.io/forums/builds/2013-mac-pro-2xrx58016gbs-tb2-2x-akitio-node-via-tb3-to-tb2-adapter-macos/

Your build snippet of three gpus (x3) is the highest count so far. Would you like to showcase this in a build guide we can then have on record?

https://egpu.io/forums/builds/implementation-guide-template/

eGPU Setup 1.35    •    eGPU Port Bandwidth Reference Table

2015 15" Dell Precision 7510 (Q M1000M) [6th,4C,H] + GTX 1080 Ti @32Gbps-M2 (ADT-Link R43SG) + Win10 1803 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
benr
 benr
(@benr)
Eminent Member

@nando, I'll try to write up the build shortly.

But my biggest concern is that all of those build are Thunderbolt 2-based Macs. I'm getting the feeling that Thunderbolt 3-equipped Macs won't support more than one eGPU at a time, period.

Hoping someone can help confirm or disapprove that.

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

nando4 liked
ReplyQuote
DANgerous25
(@danfalconar)
Estimable Member

Hi @benr, I have iMac Pro and a 1080TI in Akitio Node and Vega Frontier Liquid in a Sonnet Breakaway Box. I haven't managed to get both eGPUs working at the same time on the iMac Pro. The MacOS versions I've tested with this setup are 10.13.2 and 10.13.4 beta 2. Note that I am not daisy-chaining, I have each eGPU on a different Thunderbolt bus (causes an immediate crash if you try to plug them in the same). The observations so far are:

Using 10.13.2 and 10.13.3 I can get the 1080TI working using @yifanlu/@devild's nvidiaegpu solution. However on 10.13.3 it causes the whole system to suffer from serious performance problems, prompting me to downgrade instantly. Hot plugging / log out / log in required to get the 1080TI detected and working.
If I then introduce the Vega FE to 10.13.2 it works, but then the 1080TI is no longer detected by MacOS HS. I haven't found a solution to this.
Using 10.13.4 b2 I'm able to get the Vega FE working completely in a completely natural sense. But I can't get the 1080TI working at all, with or without the Vega FE.

Unfortunately I don't have multiple nVidia cards to test, so I can't confirm if the iMac 5K or iMac Pro will support multiple nVidia eGPUs. I'd say there is a good chance of it working on iMac Pro if you can get it working on your iMac 5K.

But my biggest concern is that all of those build are Thunderbolt 2-based Macs. I’m getting the feeling that Thunderbolt 3-equipped Macs won’t support more than one eGPU at a time, period.

Hoping someone can help confirm or disapprove that.

I can confirm it is possible using TB3 because I got it working on my MBP+TB (see screen below), which was on 10.13.3. I couldn't get it working on 10.13.2 or 10.13.4 b2 on the MBP+TB. Evidence below. I don't recommend it if you're going to use the nVidia card for screen output, however for CUDA it works. I can't say if the CUDA performance is impacted or not, but I don't have the general lag/performance issues when using it purely for CUDA.

Capto Capture 2018 02 15 02 58 08 pm
2017 27" iMac Pro (Vega64) [7th,10C,W] + GTX 1080 Ti @ 32Gbps-TB3 (AKiTiO Node) + macOS 10.13.2 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
diazou
(@diazou)

Hello,
I want to add a GTX 1080 Ti on my Imac Pro, what do i need in addion of the GPU and the Akito node please ?
Thanks

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
ed_co
(@ed_co)
Reputable Member

Hey DANgerous25,

Could you please do me a favour?

Could you please run the latest CPU-Z in Windows 10, and capture every single tab? Trying to build a new rig similar to iMac Pro.

Cheers.

E. 

2017 15" MacBook Pro (RP560) [7th,4C,H] + GTX 1080 Ti @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Mantiz Venus) + macOS 10.13 & Win10 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
Mize
 Mize
(@mize)
Eminent Member

Thanks for this thread. I now have the entry-level iMac Pro (8 core, 32GB, Vega 56) up and running with and Akitio Node Pro and a 1080Ti. I'm running 10.13.3, but not really gaming much in macos so the degraded performance from 10.13.2 isn't a problem. Everything runs great in Windows 10 except that (and this counts for both macos and windows) programs cannot determine what card I have installed in the Akitio Node Pro. For example I have Oculus Rift running, but it warns of inadequate hardware in spite of running very well. If not for the poor macos performance and the login/logout/plugin/logbackin process I'd be a very happy camper.

iMac Pro (2017), 3.2 GHz Xeon W, 32 GB, 1TB SSD, RX Vega 56 + AKiTiO Node Pro w/ Zotac 1080 Ti, working with login hack on 10.13.3 but BROKEN by Apple blocking Nvidia in 10.13.4. Boo-hiss you Apple!

ReplyQuote
Przemysław Sobiecki
(@przemyslaw_sobiecki)

I am a happy user of iMac pro. I want egpu! For cuda rendering in octane. What should I choose?
Akitio node or Sonnet breakaway box (550W)? 
In terms of availability/price - I should check local vendor.
In terms of drivers/recognition - which one is better?
probably I won't be running another extra display with egpu (just cuda rendering) - do I need a dummy adapter?

best!
P

ReplyQuote
killengage
(@killengage)

I'm running 2 Gigabyte Aorus 1080 and 1070 boxes on my iMac Pro for Redshift rendering. Working without a problem.

ReplyQuote
Baris Oktem
(@baris-oktem)

Hello, 
With imacpro are you use macos or Windows?
İf you use macos which system are you using? 10.13.4 or 10.13.3?
İ cannot manage to work with 10.13.4 with Sonnet egpu 1080ti in it.

ReplyQuote
richard10250
(@richard10250)

Thanks for the great thread!

2016 15" Lenovo Thinkpad T570 [7th,2C,U] + GTX 970 @ 16Gbps-TB3 (AKiTiO Node) + Win10 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
 of  7