2017 14" Lenovo Yoga 920 [8th,4C,U] + RX 560 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Sonnet Breakaway Puc...

Notifications
Clear all

2017 14" Lenovo Yoga 920 [8th,4C,U] + RX 560 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Sonnet Breakaway Puck) + Win10 [itsage]  

of  3
  RSS

itsage
(@itsage)
Illustrious Member Admin

i7-8550U quad core ULV CPU with Thunderbolt 3 ultrabooks are highly anticipated for eGPU enthusiasts. I got one in the form of a Lenovo Yoga 920. Unlike the Yoga 720 which is crippled with both x2 PCIe and GT2 OPI issues, this Yoga 920 has x4 PCIe and GT4 OPI. I'm putting together a review on the Sonnet Breakaway Puck and here are some early numbers with the Yoga 920.

System specs:

Late 2017 14″ Lenovo Yoga 920 – i7-8550HQ/UHD Graphics 620 iGPU/8GB RAM/256GB SSD

eGPU hardware:

Sonnet Breakaway Puck + Radeon RX 560 + .5m Thunderbolt 3 cable

Hardware pictures:

Installation steps:

Installation was plug-and-play. The Sonnet Breakaway Puck provides 45W PD which is sufficient to charge an ultrabook like this Yoga 920. AIDA64 confirmed high performance GT4 mode and HWiNFO64 confirmed x4 PCIe lanes.

Benchmarks:

I used an external monitor to run benchmarks on the eGPU.

external graphics card builds
best laptops for external GPU
eGPU enclosure buyer's guide

2020 13" MacBook Pro [10th,4C,G] + RTX 2080 Ti @ 32Gbps-TB3 (AORUS Gaming Box) + Win10 2004 [build link]  

Sky11, goalque and nando4 liked
ReplyQuote
Flash315
(@flash315)

those benchmarks are not bad at all Sage cant wait to see how it stacks with any of the GTX cards.

also can both of the TB3 ports be used for data transfer? or is one allocated for just charging?

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Illustrious Member Admin

@Flash315, both Thunderbolt 3 ports work the same way for data transfer and charging. The Breakaway Puck supplies 45W of power delivery and that seems plenty enough for this Yoga 920. During the eGPU benchmarks, the laptop battery went from 86% to full charge in less than an hour.

external graphics card builds
best laptops for external GPU
eGPU enclosure buyer's guide

2020 13" MacBook Pro [10th,4C,G] + RTX 2080 Ti @ 32Gbps-TB3 (AORUS Gaming Box) + Win10 2004 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
Flash315
(@flash315)

that is stellar!!!!! the laptop has stellar battery management i have noticed myself even using the display at 4k 6 to 7 hours i get on moderate to high use

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

itsage liked
ReplyQuote
econhero
(@econhero)
Eminent Member

Thanks for this post. I am on the market for a quad core convertible and was looking for confirmation that yoga 920 has 4 lanes for tb3. What do you think of the build quality when you compare this to Spectre x360?

2017 13" Lenovo Yoga 720 [8th,4C,U] + GTX 770 @ 16Gbps-TB3 (AKiTiO Node) + Win10 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
ibanezbass
(@ibanezbass)

Build quality is superior to the Spectre x360. I initially bought the Spectre but returned it after multiple build quality issues were found. The trackpad was too loose, the left hinge was crooked, and one of the CPU fans died after 1 week. I now have the Yoga 920, and I'm extremely happy with it. It performs exceptionally with my Razer Core + 1080.

D G and itsage liked
ReplyQuote
jazzyy
(@jazzyy)
Eminent Member

ReplyQuote
D G
 D G
(@d_g)
Trusted Member

The Yoga 920 does thermal throttle.  The challenge I think is cooling through those hinges...  I undervolt and use a 10-15W profile in intel XTU instead...  May try to repaste for the sake of better thermals, but I prefer running most the time at a lower voltage and watts profile.  For gaming at the desk I will see what is the max wattage I can do without thermal throttling when I get my egpu setup.

14" Lenovo Yoga 920+ (a video card)@32Gbps-TB3 (HP Omen Accelerator) + Win10+ThrottleStop+Nekteck TB3 Cable 100W 6ft

ReplyQuote
DivineMackerel
(@divinemackerel)

Hello,  
I  was just wondering if you had a chance to see what you were able to get with undervolting?  Thanks!

ReplyQuote
chx
 chx
(@chx)
Estimable Member

How's noise on the Puck?

Lenovo ThinkPad 25 -- GALAX SNPR TB3 1060 -- Lenovo Graphics Dock -- Benq BL2411PT - - two PackedPixels - Dasung not-eReader backer

ReplyQuote
 of  3