2017 14" Lenovo Yoga 920 [8th,4C,U] + RX 560 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Sonnet Breakaway Puc...

Notifications
Clear all

2017 14" Lenovo Yoga 920 [8th,4C,U] + RX 560 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Sonnet Breakaway Puck) + Win10 [itsage]  

of  3
  RSS

itsage
(@itsage)
Illustrious Member Admin

Posted by: chx

How's noise on the Puck?

The RX 560 Puck I have is very quiet.

external graphics card builds
best laptops for external GPU
eGPU enclosure buyer's guide

2020 15" HP Spectre X360 [11th,4C,G] + RTX 2080 Ti @ 32Gbps-TB4 (AORUS Gaming Box) + Win10 2004 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
Nicola Monda
(@nicola_monda)

Can I make a question? 

Is it possible to replace the gpu in the Puck? If I buy it now, can I replace it in the future?

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Illustrious Member Admin

@nicola_monda it should be possible. Here's the component view of the entire Breakaway Puck taken apart.

2020 15" HP Spectre X360 [11th,4C,G] + RTX 2080 Ti @ 32Gbps-TB4 (AORUS Gaming Box) + Win10 2004 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
Nicola Monda
(@nicola_monda)

Just saw that has no USB ports so I must abandon the idea and shift back to the gaming boxCry

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
David Ding
(@david_ding)

Posted by: ibanezbass

Build quality is superior to the Spectre x360. I initially bought the Spectre but returned it after multiple build quality issues were found. The trackpad was too loose, the left hinge was crooked, and one of the CPU fans died after 1 week. I now have the Yoga 920, and I'm extremely happy with it. It performs exceptionally with my Razer Core + 1080.

are you using the Razer core 1 or 2? i heard razer core 1 does not working with some brand other than razer laptop

would  it be able to work with razer core 1? i am considering buying one.. Thanks.

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Illustrious Member Admin

@david_ding the Razer Core 1 has a TI82 USB-C controller which is incompatible with macOS. It should work fine with Windows. I don't see why it wouldn't work with the Lenovo Yoga 920.

ReplyQuote
David Ding
(@david_ding)

Thank you for replying! i also have a lg ultrawide uc98 with thunderbolt, do you recommend using a displayport or thunderbolt adapter to connect the razer one to external monitor?

ReplyQuote
Rakesh Malik
(@rakesh_malik)

Regarding whether to use DisplayPort or Thunderbolt, in terms of functionality it probably doesn't make much of a difference for the display, but if you connect to the monitor via Thunderbolt and the monitor has a hub, you'd be able to use its USB ports.

I'm using a Razer Core v1 with a new model (Kaby Lake-R) Spectre x360 15" and it's been nigh flawless. Not quite perfect, but close. I've been pushing the setup pretty hard, too... color grading and rendering a feature film shot in 8K using DaVinci Resolve.

itsage liked
ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Illustrious Member Admin

There's no graphics card with Thunderbolt output. You can only connect the eGPU to your LG ultrawide uc98 with a DisplayPort or HDMI cable.

ReplyQuote
Rakesh Malik
(@rakesh_malik)

That's probably a good idea if you're gaming, but there's also the option of using a Thunderbolt port on the laptop if it has two.

Since my main application has been Resolve, I've been getting about the same performance using the internal monitor as with the external monitor connected directly to the eGPU.

ReplyQuote
 of  3