2017 14" Lenovo Yoga 920 + RX [email protected] (Sonnet Breakaway Puck) + Win10 [theitsage]  

RSS

theitsage
(@itsage)
Famed Member Admin
November 14, 2017 3:46 pm  

i7-8550U quad core ULV CPU with Thunderbolt 3 ultrabooks are highly anticipated for eGPU enthusiasts. I got one in the form of a Lenovo Yoga 920. Unlike the Yoga 720 which is crippled with both x2 PCIe and GT2 OPI issues, this Yoga 920 has x4 PCIe and GT4 OPI. I'm putting together a review on the Sonnet Breakaway Puck and here are some early numbers with the Yoga 920.

System specs:

Late 2017 14″ Lenovo Yoga 920 – i7-8550HQ/UHD Graphics 620 iGPU/8GB RAM/256GB SSD

eGPU hardware:

Sonnet Breakaway Puck + Radeon RX 560 + .5m Thunderbolt 3 cable

Hardware pictures:

Installation steps:

Installation was plug-and-play. The Sonnet Breakaway Puck provides 45W PD which is sufficient to charge an ultrabook like this Yoga 920. AIDA64 confirmed high performance GT4 mode and HWiNFO64 confirmed x4 PCIe lanes.

Benchmarks:

I used an external monitor to run benchmarks on the eGPU.

Best ultrabooks for eGPU use

eGPU enclosure buying guide

86 external GPU build guides

Sky11, goalque and nando4 liked
ReplyQuote
Flash315
(@flash315)
November 14, 2017 3:51 pm  

those benchmarks are not bad at all Sage cant wait to see how it stacks with any of the GTX cards.

also can both of the TB3 ports be used for data transfer? or is one allocated for just charging?

Soon I will add my system & eGPU details or a build link to this my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
theitsage
(@itsage)
Famed Member Admin
November 14, 2017 4:06 pm  

@Flash315, both Thunderbolt 3 ports work the same way for data transfer and charging. The Breakaway Puck supplies 45W of power delivery and that seems plenty enough for this Yoga 920. During the eGPU benchmarks, the laptop battery went from 86% to full charge in less than an hour.

ReplyQuote
Flash315
(@flash315)
November 15, 2017 12:36 am  

that is stellar!!!!! the laptop has stellar battery management i have noticed myself even using the display at 4k 6 to 7 hours i get on moderate to high use

Soon I will add my system & eGPU details or a build link to this my signature to give context to my posts

theitsage liked
ReplyQuote
econhero
(@econhero)
Eminent Member
November 20, 2017 1:51 pm  

Thanks for this post. I am on the market for a quad core convertible and was looking for confirmation that yoga 920 has 4 lanes for tb3. What do you think of the build quality when you compare this to Spectre x360?

ReplyQuote
ibanezbass
(@ibanezbass)
November 21, 2017 5:34 pm  

Build quality is superior to the Spectre x360. I initially bought the Spectre but returned it after multiple build quality issues were found. The trackpad was too loose, the left hinge was crooked, and one of the CPU fans died after 1 week. I now have the Yoga 920, and I'm extremely happy with it. It performs exceptionally with my Razer Core + 1080.

D G and theitsage liked
ReplyQuote
jazzyy
(@jazzyy)
Eminent Member

ReplyQuote
 D G
(@d_g)
Trusted Member
November 23, 2017 5:16 pm  

The Yoga 920 does thermal throttle.  The challenge I think is cooling through those hinges...  I undervolt and use a 10-15W profile in intel XTU instead...  May try to repaste for the sake of better thermals, but I prefer running most the time at a lower voltage and watts profile.  For gaming at the desk I will see what is the max wattage I can do without thermal throttling when I get my egpu setup.

14" Lenovo Yoga 920+ [a video card]@32Gbps-TB3 (HP Omen Accelerator) + Win10+ThrottleStop+Nekteck TB3 Cable 100W 6ft

ReplyQuote
DivineMackerel
(@divinemackerel)
December 3, 2017 12:10 am  

Hello,  
I  was just wondering if you had a chance to see what you were able to get with undervolting?  Thanks!

ReplyQuote
 chx
(@chx)
Estimable Member
December 20, 2017 2:01 pm  

How's noise on the Puck?

Lenovo ThinkPad 25 -- GALAX SNPR TB3 1060 -- Lenovo Graphics Dock -- Benq BL2411PT - - two PackedPixels - Dasung not-eReader backer

ReplyQuote
theitsage
(@itsage)
Famed Member Admin
December 20, 2017 2:25 pm  
Posted by: chx

How's noise on the Puck?

The RX 560 Puck I have is very quiet.

ReplyQuote
(@nicola_monda)
January 15, 2018 4:08 pm  

Can I make a question? 

Is it possible to replace the gpu in the Puck? If I buy it now, can I replace it in the future?

ReplyQuote
theitsage
(@itsage)
Famed Member Admin
January 15, 2018 4:20 pm  

@nicola_monda it should be possible. Here's the component view of the entire Breakaway Puck taken apart.

ReplyQuote
(@nicola_monda)
January 15, 2018 4:27 pm  

Just saw that has no USB ports so I must abandon the idea and shift back to the gaming box.  😥 

ReplyQuote
(@david_ding)
January 16, 2018 7:31 pm  
Posted by: ibanezbass

Build quality is superior to the Spectre x360. I initially bought the Spectre but returned it after multiple build quality issues were found. The trackpad was too loose, the left hinge was crooked, and one of the CPU fans died after 1 week. I now have the Yoga 920, and I'm extremely happy with it. It performs exceptionally with my Razer Core + 1080.

are you using the Razer core 1 or 2? i heard razer core 1 does not working with some brand other than razer laptop

would  it be able to work with razer core 1? i am considering buying one.. Thanks.

ReplyQuote
theitsage
(@itsage)
Famed Member Admin
January 16, 2018 7:36 pm  

@david_ding the Razer Core 1 has a TI82 USB-C controller which is incompatible with macOS. It should work fine with Windows. I don't see why it wouldn't work with the Lenovo Yoga 920.

ReplyQuote
(@david_ding)
January 16, 2018 8:35 pm  

Thank you for replying! i also have a lg ultrawide uc98 with thunderbolt, do you recommend using a displayport or thunderbolt adapter to connect the razer one to external monitor?

ReplyQuote
(@rakesh_malik)
January 16, 2018 8:43 pm  

Regarding whether to use DisplayPort or Thunderbolt, in terms of functionality it probably doesn't make much of a difference for the display, but if you connect to the monitor via Thunderbolt and the monitor has a hub, you'd be able to use its USB ports.

I'm using a Razer Core v1 with a new model (Kaby Lake-R) Spectre x360 15" and it's been nigh flawless. Not quite perfect, but close. I've been pushing the setup pretty hard, too... color grading and rendering a feature film shot in 8K using DaVinci Resolve.

theitsage liked
ReplyQuote
theitsage
(@itsage)
Famed Member Admin
January 16, 2018 8:52 pm  

There's no graphics card with Thunderbolt output. You can only connect the eGPU to your LG ultrawide uc98 with a DisplayPort or HDMI cable.

ReplyQuote
(@rakesh_malik)
January 16, 2018 8:55 pm  

That's probably a good idea if you're gaming, but there's also the option of using a Thunderbolt port on the laptop if it has two.

Since my main application has been Resolve, I've been getting about the same performance using the internal monitor as with the external monitor connected directly to the eGPU.

ReplyQuote
davidliu9518
(@davidliu9518)
January 20, 2018 3:35 pm  

Hi, is it normal that I cannot see thunderbolt controller in both device manager or HWiNFO64 when not attaching thunderbolt devices? Which thunderbolt driver are you using? My yoga 920 seems not working properly. Thanks!

ReplyQuote
ang3l12
(@ang3l12)
January 24, 2018 6:04 pm  
Posted by: davidliu9518

Hi, is it normal that I cannot see thunderbolt controller in both device manager or HWiNFO64 when not attaching thunderbolt devices? Which thunderbolt driver are you using? My yoga 920 seems not working properly. Thanks!

That is how my 920 is as well as my spectre 360. 

What problems are you having with your 920 / egpu? What enclosure? I also am having some issues with mine, using a mantiz venus with an rx 580. If I plug the tb3 cable in after boot, I get the error 12 that is normally seen on Macbooks in bootcamp, if I reboot with it plugged in, it seems to work but the laptop display does not work, only the displays hooked up to the egpu.

ReplyQuote