2017 13" MacBook Pro [7th,2C,U] + RX Vega 56 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Razer Core X) + macOS...

Notifications
Clear all

2017 13" MacBook Pro [7th,2C,U] + RX Vega 56 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Razer Core X) + macOS 11.0.1 [manzanita]  

RSS

manzanita
(@manzanita)
Eminent Member

System specs

MacBook Pro mid 2017 13”, Intel Core i7 3.5 Ghz Kaby Lake, Intel Iris Plus Graphics 650, 16 GB RAM, 256 SSD, macOS Big Sur

eGPU hardware

Razer Core X, PowerColor Ree Devil+ RX Vega 56 8GB HBM2 Samsung modules

Hardware picture

5C547EB2 FF73 4267 A983 1D9A62BAAE13

Installation steps 

I follow all the steps in the installation guide provided here. I use the latest version of Win Pro, I use reFind in order to select the OS to boot, I connect the eGPU in the lower left TB3 port. Did not encounter any errors (error12, large memory etc). Pretty straight forward. Currently running with the latest AMD Adrenalin drivers. Also I installed OverdriveN tool and GPU-Z in order to overclock the graphics card and monitor the frequency, power draw of the GPU in stress tests. 

Benchmarks

I currently want to test it with too Apple Cinema Displays 20” hooked up via Displayport. I did, previouly with a single LG 24” FreeSync all kind of benchmark and stress tests (3dmark TimeSpy Extreme, FireStrike Ultra, Unigine Superposition) I was abre to overclock the memory beyond 900 mhz, thanks to Samsung modules. Then, a decent P8 value is 1772 freq, with 1,2V. Those values get a power draw of 290 watts from the eGPU

Comments

I’m not primarily a gamer so my interest is to  reduce render times in productivity apps. I installed BootCamp because I want to try finding the sweet spot in overclocking the Vega 56 without so much power consumption. Currently I made an image of the BootCamp partition because I have insufficient space. Also, other than the easy ways to overclock/undervolt Vegas Card in Windows, I really hate all the updates and workarounds of Windows. I find myself spending time in useless security updates and such. I'm trying to find a way to be able to modify my Vega card parameters in macOS running  in native mode. 

Mantiz Venus + Sapphire Nitro + Radeon Rx Vega 56
Razer Core + PowerColor Red Devil Vega 56

2017 13" MacBook Pro [7th,2C,U] + RX Vega 56 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Razer Core X) + macOS 11.0.1 [build link]  

itsage and nando4 liked
ReplyQuote