2017 13" MacBook Pro [7th,2C,U] + RX Vega 56 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Razer Core X) + Win10...

Notifications
Clear all

2017 13" MacBook Pro [7th,2C,U] + RX Vega 56 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Razer Core X) + Win10 // [manzanita]  

RSS

manzanita
(@manzanita)

System specs

MacBook Pro mid 2017 13”, Intel Core i7 3.5 Ghz Kaby Lake, Intel Iris Plus Graphics 650, 16 GB RAM, 256 SSD, macOS Catalina + Win10

eGPU hardware

Razer Core X, PowerColor RedDevil Vega 56 8 GB Ram HBM2 (Samsung memory)

Hardware pictures

IMG 1505
IMG 1506
IMG 1508

Installation steps 

I follow all the steps in the installation guide provided here. I use the latest version of Win Pro, I use reFind in order to select the OS to boot, I connect the eGPU in the lower left TB3 port. Did not encounter any errors (error12, large memory etc). Pretty straight forward. Currently running with the latest AMD Adrenalin drivers. Also I installed OverdriveN tool and GPU-Z in order to overclock the graphics card and monitor the frequency, power draw of the GPU in stress tests. 

Benchmarks

I use an external LG 24” monitor via HDMI with FreeSync. I reach full 1080p extreme performance. I ran tests in Aida64extreme, 3dmark TimeSpy Extreme, FireStrike Extreme, Unigine Superposition, and CryEngine Neón Noir for ray tracing, benchmarks and stress tests. I will post results soon.  

Comments

I’m not primarily a gamer so my interest is to  reduce render times in productivity apps. I installed BootCamp because I want to try finding the sweet spot in overclocking the Vega 56 without so much power consumption. Also I’m interested in flash the bios and install the Vega 64 bios from PowerColor stock. I’ll update on that. 

This topic was modified 3 months ago

Mantiz Venus + Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon Rx Vega 56
Razer Core + PowerColor Red Devil Vega 56

2017 13" MacBook Pro [7th,2C,U] + RX Vega 56 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Mantiz Venus) + macOS 10.15 & Win10 [build link]  

nando4 liked
ReplyQuote