2017 13" MacBook Pro [7th,2C,U] + RX 5700 XT @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Mantiz Venus) + macOS...

Notifications
Clear all

2017 13" MacBook Pro [7th,2C,U] + RX 5700 XT @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Mantiz Venus) + macOS 10.15.5 & Win10 2004  

RSS

RMB
 RMB
(@rmb)

I purchased my MacBook in 2018 and set up my eGPU to run in MacOS and Win10 by using the EFI-boot. At the time I had a 1080ti inside of my Mantiz Venus. After support in MacOS was gone for NVIDIA I switched to a Powercolor Reddevil RX 5700 XT. This worked with MacOS instantly. In Win10 it also worked until the update happened from 1903. Since I did not game under Win10 anymore and I preferred to have an up-to-date OS rather than switching back to 1903 version I just left it that way.

Few days ago I signed up for the Windows Insider program. This changed things a lot. More about the process below...

System specs

2017 MacBook Pro 13'' i7-7567U CPU @ 4x3.50GHz

Alienware 3418DW 21:9 3440x1440 120Hz

The monitor is G-Sync, but I love it anyway. Even if Free-sync is not working of course.

eGPU hardware

RedDevil RX 5700 XT

Mantiz Venus

My eGPU is hanging under my desk to save space. Just used a cheap PC mount  . I am using a 1m (3 feet) TB3 cable that can deliver up to 100W. It is long enough so that I can have my MacBook Pro on the desk as a second screen. It is sitting on this stand

Further more, I upgraded my Mantiz Venus with a silent fan and a better power supply, which will turn of the fan if not needed. I am using this setup mainly for work (100% home office) and I need it to be as quiet as possible. Inside the Mantiz I have 500GB Samsung 850 Pro SSD for my games library, but right now I am actually using a NAS for this so the SSD is spare. Might use it for backups in the future.

Last but not least, I am using this mount for my monitor. The original stand was using too much of my desk space.

Installation steps

MacOS:

Plug-and-play. No problems at all.

Windows 10:

After all the problems I had to deal with in my earlier builds, this was super easy.

1) Update Win 10 to 2004 build, using Insider program with fast updates. I did this while running the bootcamp partition in Parallels Desktop 15 for convenience.

2) Update until no more updates are available.

3) used this from mac_editor as posted by goalque: https://egpu.io/forums/mac-setup/automate-egpu-efi-egpu-boot-manager-for-macos-and-windows/

BUT I only did this:

automate-eGPU EFI v1.0.5 Installer

Following content was authored by @mac_editor.

To simplify the installation process, I wrote a little installer that can set up an external drive with automate-eGPU EFI . Note that this installer should be treated as beta. Read all the steps before proceeding:

1. Physically eject any external drives that you don't want to format. This is to ensure that you or the installer does not accidentally format a drive you care about. This installer does not support SD cards.
  2. Connect the thumb drive you wish to format.
  3. Copy the following into Terminal and press ENTER/RETURN:
    bash <(curl -s   https://egpu.io/wp-content/uploads/2018/11/automate-eGPU-EFI-install.txt)  
  4. Follow the instructions in the script. If you are on macOS 10.15.1 or newerDO NOT choose AMD as GPU vendor - just choose NVIDIA.
  5. If you are on macOS Catalina, apply the necessary fix. I DID NOT DO THIS!!
  6. The disk is now ready to use.

automate-eGPU EFI and this installer are hosted only on this website. If you obtained the EFI installer or files from some other source, we cannot guarantee it's authenticity. You can see the full code for the installer (not the EFI application itself) on Pastebin.

4) I than booted into Win10 via the USB-drive. eGPU was listed in device manager without error12. I first downloaded Adrenalin (red) vie bootcampdrivers.com, but later installed it again from the AMD website.

5) It took 2-3 reboots were I could only see the first picture but not enter my password in Win10. But this might be unrelated and due to a crash I had from the Insider program.

6) Booting with eGPU connected is working perfectly. (Did not try hot plugging yet). No further crashes or anything. Loopback to the internal screen did not work, but might be that I just did not find the correct settings yet. Not that familiar with Win10 after years in the MacOS world...

Benchmark

I tested Heaven benchmark under MacOS and Win10. The Reddevil card has a switch for silent and power mode, however results under both were almost identical.

The test was run with ultra quality, tessellation extreme, 8xAA

Unfortunately I can not post pictures but the results are:

1920x1080:

MacOS: 1629 points

Win10:  2307 points

3440x1440:

MacOS:   996 points

Win10:   1254 points

GTA V (Win10 only) ran with 60fps under high settings at 3440x1440.

Rise of the Tomb Raider, built in benchmark, max settings, 3440x1440:

MacOS:   52fps

Win10:    60fps

Comments

Overall I am happy that this setup works. Hopefully it will last and not be gone with the next update.

A big THANK YOU to the community here and especially to @Mac_editor and @goalque. Without you guys I would have never figured this out! I hope I can give something back and help someone with above description.

I will see that I deliver some pictures soon.

This topic was modified 5 months ago

2017 MacBook Pro 13, i7-7567U @ 3.50GHz, 2 cores, 4 threads
MacOS 10.15.5 + Win 10 2004 (fast)
Mantiz Venus
Powercolor Red Devil RX 5700 XT
Monitor Alienware AW3418DW 3440x1440, 34''

2017 13" MacBook Pro [7th,2C,U] + RX 5700 XT @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Mantiz Venus) + macOS 10.15.5 & Win10 2004 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
Koncept_Zero
(@koncept_zero)
Trusted Member

Did you skip step 5 because you’re on Mojave?

I have a Mac mini, I should be able to follow your steps to get windows and my 5700xt to work?

2018 Mac Mini [8th,6C,B] + RX 5700 XT @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Razer Core X) + macOS 10.15.5 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
RMB
 RMB
(@rmb)

@koncept_zero, first of all I just wanted to see what happened if I skip it. Than there was a bit of laziness to be honest. After having spent a lot of hours on previous attempts I just hoped it might work. And it did. I am on Catalina, 10.15.5. (sorry, had a typo in the description)

Today I noticed some odd behavior. All setup and testing from my initial post was done using the TB3 port on (my) the left side (when looking at the screen). And than it was the port closer to me, further away from the screen. All fine. Today I connected to the other left hand side TB3 port and Win10 only ran on the internal screen, not showing any eGPU. Tried different cables, same result. In MacOS it works with both ports. No idea why.

2017 MacBook Pro 13, i7-7567U @ 3.50GHz, 2 cores, 4 threads
MacOS 10.15.5 + Win 10 2004 (fast)
Mantiz Venus
Powercolor Red Devil RX 5700 XT
Monitor Alienware AW3418DW 3440x1440, 34''

2017 13" MacBook Pro [7th,2C,U] + RX 5700 XT @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Mantiz Venus) + macOS 10.15.5 & Win10 2004 [build link]  

ReplyQuote