CPU: Intel Core i7-7700HQ @ 2.8 GHz
iGPU: Intel HD Graphics 630
dGPU: Radeon Pro 555

eGPU hardware

eGPU enclosure: Razer Core X
Video Card: MSI GTX 970 Gaming 4G

Hardware pictures

Installation steps

I just plugged the Razer Core X into my Mac, preferably on the top right usbc port, and installed the nvidia driver once booted into windows (bootcamp). Restart. And it worked! 

Benchmarks - all external LCD

Comments

The Performance improvement is awesome! Gaming and productivity is very near my old desktop, where I salvaged the graphics card from.
I find this setup very interessting because I managed to transform my daily work driver, the MacBook Pro, into an allrounder with the small blue box, a Samsung T5 512 GB external SSD, as my windows 10 bootdrive and a desktop graphics card in the Razer Core X I can now game reasonably well on it and it is a pleasure to work in the Unreal Engine 4 Editor.
Because of the external ssd the setup feels quite exotic, but I was impressed how it performs and works out of the box.
Since I don't have a AMD desktop card to plug into the Razer Core X, I haven't tried to get the eGPU run under MacOS.

Conclusion

Should you aim for such a build? I would say now. Considering the cost for a MacBook Pro 15" 2017 model with touchbar, the external ssd (cause buying more storage from apple is freaking expensive), the enclosure and the graphics card, it is way to expensive. I tried this setup because I'm currently running the MacBook as a my day-to-day work machine and I had the graphics card sitting unused in my old desktop pc. The idea is fun: You have a mobile and okay'ish powerful portable laptop and can ramp up the power stationary at home if you need to. Just my 2 cents to the topic 🙂

Soon I will add my system & eGPU details or a build link to this my signature to give context to my posts

Seanlhy, AkulaThaJaeger, nando4 and 1 people liked
ReplyQuote
AkulaThaJaeger
(@akulathajaeger)
June 30, 2018 6:06 pm  

I think i want to attempt this build despite the smallish trade off power for portability but i must ask does hot plugging work for you on the Windows side of the things?

Soon I will add my system & eGPU details or a build link to this my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
aoa
 aoa
(@btc)
August 4, 2018 5:45 am  

Since this article doesn't recommend booting from external drive, how was your experience booting from your external SSD?

ReplyQuote