2017 13" MacBook Pro [7th,2C,U] + RX Vega 56 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Mantiz Venus) + macOS...

Notifications
Clear all

2017 13" MacBook Pro [7th,2C,U] + RX Vega 56 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Mantiz Venus) + macOS 10.15 & Win10 [manzanita]  

RSS

manzanita
(@manzanita)

System specs

MacBook Pro mid 2017 13”, Intel Core i7 3.5 Ghz Kaby Lake, Intel Iris Plus Graphics 650, 16 GB RAM, 256 SSD, macOS Catalina + Win10

eGPU hardware

Mantiz Venus, Sapphire NItro+ RX VEga 56 8GB HBM2 Hynix modules

Hardware picture

IMG 1488
IMG 1489
IMG 1492
Captura de Pantalla 2020 07 21 a la(s) 09.07.13

Installation steps 

I follow all the steps in the installation guide provided here. I use the latest version of Win Pro, I use reFind in order to select the OS to boot, I connect the eGPU in the lower left TB3 port. Did not encounter any errors (error12, large memory etc). Pretty straight forward. Currently running with the latest AMD Adrenalin drivers. Also I installed OverdriveN tool and GPU-Z in order to overclock the graphics card and monitor the frequency, power draw of the GPU in stress tests. 

Benchmarks

I use two external 28" UE590UHD 4K Samsung Monitors with FreeSync hooked up via Displayport. i did all kind of benchmark and stress tests (3dmark TimeSpy Extreme, FireStrike Ultra, Unigine Superposition) The only issue with the card I got is that the memory modules are from Hynix, so you can't get the memory frequency beyond 900 mhz. Then, a decent P8 value is 1772 freq, with 1,2V. Those values get a power draw of 290 watts from the eGPU

Comments

I’m not primarily a gamer so my interest is to  reduce render times in productivity apps. I installed BootCamp because I want to try finding the sweet spot in overclocking the Vega 56 without so much power consumption. Currently I made an image of the BootCamp partition because I have insufficient space. Also, other than the easy ways to overclock/undervolt Vegas Card in Windows, I really hate all the updates and workarounds of Windows. I find myself spending time in useless security updates and such. I'm trying to find a way to be able to modify my Vega card parameters in macOS running  in native mode. 

Mantiz Venus + Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon Rx Vega 56
Razer Core + PowerColor Red Devil Vega 56

2017 13" MacBook Pro [7th,2C,U] + RX Vega 56 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Mantiz Venus) + macOS 10.15 & Win10 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
Eightarmedpet
(@eightarmedpet)
Noble Member Moderator

Great build... those Nitro cars are by far the best Vega cards IMO.

Navi eGPU support has been a bit underwhelming so far (poor performance, especially in loopback).

2017 13" MacBook Pro Touch Bar
GTX1060 + AKiTiO Thunder3 + Win10
GTX1070 + Sonnet Breakaway Box + Win10
GTX1070 + Razer Core V1 + Win10
Vega 56 + Razer Core V1 + macOS + Win10
Vega 56 + Mantiz Venus + macOS + W10

---

LG 5K Ultrafine flickering issue fix

2017 13" MacBook Pro [7th,2C,U] + RX 5700 XT @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Mantiz Venus) + macOS 10.15.4 & Win10 2004 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
manzanita
(@manzanita)

@eightarmedpet, although I'm super happy with the Nitro performance, I have to say that I was surprised with the PowerColor RedDevil Vega 56 8GB HBM2. I bought it used, and it shocked me so far. It has Samsung memory, so I could bring its frequency up to 975 mhz. It's a massive card though. Power hungry  I've installed it in a Razer Core eGPU enclosure. I even tried it with Cryengine Neon Noir (a benchmark to test raytracing, reflections) theoretically unsupported by Vegas, and it worked great at 1080p full. 

Plus I can use one of the three bios in order to flash Vega 64 bios. But I don't have time yet for experimenting with that.

PowerColor Red Devil RX Vega 64 y Red Devil RX Vega 56

Mantiz Venus + Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon Rx Vega 56
Razer Core + PowerColor Red Devil Vega 56

2017 13" MacBook Pro [7th,2C,U] + RX Vega 56 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Mantiz Venus) + macOS 10.15 & Win10 [build link]  

itsage liked
ReplyQuote