2017 15" Macbook Pro RP560 + [email protected] (Sonnet Breakaway 550) + macOS10.13 & Win10 [Humanovation]^ // VR w/ Pics  

RSS

Humanovation
(@humanovation)
Eminent Member
October 23, 2017 6:00 pm  

So, my setup here works awesome for VR both in macOS and in Win10 via bootcamp.  Powers both my HTC Vive and my Oculus Rift SDK2.  However, I cannot for the life of me get the eGPU to power any of my LG UltraFine displays ... they must be plugged in directly to the TB3 ports on my MBP to work.  I have tried DP to USB-C cables and adapters and nothing seems to work.  Any suggestions?

Thanks 😉

Soon I will add my system & eGPU details or a build link to this my signature to give context to my posts

3RYL, nando4 and theitsage liked
ReplyQuote
Eightarmedpet
(@eightarmedpet)
Noble Member
October 23, 2017 6:15 pm  

Cracking set up and interesting to hear about the issues with the LG display, I have one too and was going to try the same cables you have but had a feeling they wouldn't work... I have a feeling we may have ot wait until Apple releases its own eGPU. Did you encounter error 12 at all?

2017 13" MacBook Pro Touchbar + [email protected] (AKiTiO Thunder3) + Win10
2017 13" MacBook Pro Touch Bar + [email protected] (Sonnet Breakaway Box) + Win10

2017 13" MacBook Pro Touch Bar + GTX1070 (debating 2070 upgrade) @32Gbps-TB3 (Razer Core V1) + Win10
---
LG 5K Ultrafine flickering issue fix

Humanovation liked
ReplyQuote
theitsage
(@itsage)
Famed Member Admin
October 23, 2017 6:22 pm  

Very nice setup! Judging by the relative scale to the 15" MBP display, these are 21" 4K LG Ultrafine displays?

Thank you for sharing the pictures of your Sonnet Breakaway 550. I recognize that PSU! It’s the same as the one in Mantiz Venus.

Best ultrabooks for eGPU use

eGPU enclosure buying guide

86 external GPU build guides

Humanovation liked
ReplyQuote
Humanovation
(@humanovation)
Eminent Member
October 23, 2017 6:26 pm  
Posted by: Eightarmedpet

Cracking set up and interesting to hear about the issues with the LG display, I have one too and was going to try the same cables you have but had a feeling they wouldn't work... I have a feeling we may have ot wait until Apple releases its own eGPU. Did you encounter error 12 at all?

Encountered error 12 upon initial installation as expected.  Followed the Boot Camp eGPU Setup Procedure instructions using rEFInd/DDU from the page linked below and everything worked flawlessly:

https://egpu.io/bootcamp-setup-guide-tb3-macbook-pro/

Soon I will add my system & eGPU details or a build link to this my signature to give context to my posts

nando4 and theitsage liked
ReplyQuote
Humanovation
(@humanovation)
Eminent Member
October 23, 2017 6:28 pm  
Posted by: theitsage

Very nice setup! Judging by the relative scale to the 15" MBP display, these are 21" 4K LG Ultrafine displays?

Yes ... I love them, but they just don't work with a direct connection from the eGPU ... yet 😉

ReplyQuote
willian
(@willian)
October 23, 2017 11:17 pm  

Did you test out any game for Ultrafine Directly connecting from Laptop in comparison to Internal screen? Is there a huge FPS drop down as they would get on 5K display? 

https://egpu.io/forums/mac-setup/lg-ultrafine-5k1080tiawful-performance-game-benchmarks/paged/1/

ReplyQuote
Humanovation
(@humanovation)
Eminent Member
October 24, 2017 2:21 am  
Posted by: willian

Did you test out any game for Ultrafine Directly connecting from Laptop in comparison to Internal screen? Is there a huge FPS drop down as they would get on 5K display? 

https://egpu.io/forums/mac-setup/lg-ultrafine-5k1080tiawful-performance-game-benchmarks/paged/1/

I did connect HDMI output to a 1080p TV and got 90 - 120 fps using Heaven benchmark in High quality.  Was getting 20 - 40 fps using the dGPU.

ReplyQuote
willian
(@willian)
October 24, 2017 2:32 am  
Posted by: Humanovation
Posted by: willian

I did connect HDMI output to a 1080p TV and got 90 - 120 fps using Heaven benchmark in High quality.  Was getting 20 - 40 fps using the dGPU.

How about on Ultrafine?

This https://egpu.io/forums/mac-setup/lg-ultrafine-5k1080tiawful-performance-game-benchmarks/paged/1/  " target="true">post indicates it would perform very bad in 

eGPU <> rMBP <> Ultrafine

compared to 

rMBP <> eGPU <> any other 4k displays

I would suggest you compare:

rMBP <> eGPU (Internal display)

with 

eGPU <> rMBP <> Ultrafine (only one display)

with 

rMBP (Internal display, dGPU)

using different resolutions.

to see if that performance drawback was just on Ultrafine 5k or 4k as well.

If that's happing on 4K as well, an eGPU wouldn't speed up anything while using Ultrafine 4k (given current possible connection) anyway.

ReplyQuote
i2343
(@i2343)
July 27, 2018 11:25 pm  

Have you tried any games? on Windows my 360 video stitching software can use egpu, but games use internal 560 card. Or, may be, there is a fix?

ReplyQuote
macpro
(@macpro)
November 5, 2018 3:14 pm  

Update: I replaced my RX580 with a Vega 64 and works fine now.

Hi Humanovation

I have a similar setup as yours, but I have some trouble to get a proper screen on my external DELL display.

In short my setting:

- MBP 2017 15" / TB3 (but with RP555)
- Sapphire RX580 Nitro Plus SE (8GB, High End) with Sonnet Breakaway 550
- External Display: DELL UP2516D (connected directly to eGPU)
- BootCamp installed with DDU setup incl. disabling PCI ports on Windows side (works!  🙂 )

My Mac detecting the monitor correct (see screenshot):  https://imgur.com/a/IyM8Wdf

Here my info screen:  https://imgur.com/a/sZylX1T

Do you have any ideas, why i see only "dark" on my external Display? Same HDMI Cable is working fine on BootCamp side....

Thanks for some useful inputs!

ReplyQuote