Setup & Software Discussions
2017 13" MacBook Pro [7th,2C,U] + RX Vega 64 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Razer Core X) + macOS...

2017 13" MacBook Pro [7th,2C,U] + RX Vega 64 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Razer Core X) + macOS 10.14.5 & Win10 [MaartenB]  

RSS

MaartenB
(@maartenb)

System specs 

2017 (mid) 13" MacBook Pro touchbar, 4TB ports; SMC-version (system): 2.44f1

CPU: Intel i7, 2 cores, 3.5Ghz; L2-cache (per core): 256 KB; L3-cache: 4 MB

Memory: 16Gb 2133 MHz LPDDR3
built-in graphics (iGPU): Intel Iris Plus Graphics 650, 1536 MB

eGPU hardware 

Razer Core Pro and the SAPPHIRE NITRO+ AMD Radeon RX Vega 64, 1423 MHz, 8192 MB
2m TB3 extension cable

Hardware pictures 

Installation steps 

Mac side: EGPU works plug and play.

Windows 10 spring update (last update in May) in Bootcamp.

PCIx9 NOT disabled.

Bootcamp side works only with apple_set_os.efi; & with Egpu attached to one of the RIGHT side ports.

Benchmarks 

Sorry, used Unigine Heaven 4.0, with settings: 1920x1200 full screen, ultra quality, extreme tesselation . Not allowed to paste pics
Mac-internal screen:
Program does not accept the required
1920x1200 resolution on full screen,
keeps resetting to (1440x900):                             FPS 42.9, score 1082.

1920x1200 windowed:                                            FPS 32.5, score 818

With Samsung TV as external screen:                 FPS 57.0, score 1437 (res 1900x1080)

With Samsung TV mirrored display:                   FPS 39.3, score 989 (idem)

Bootcamp W10, internal screen:                           FPS 61.5, score 1550 

Bootcamp controlled from
Parallels Desktop on the Mac side w Intel:         FPS 12.1, score 305
(can’t get it to use the egpu)

Comments

First I’d like to express my gratitude for you pioneers who thought it all out. Specifically the itsage who wrote the igpu setup guide and and eightarmedpet who wrote some very informative follow-on posts. I guess I had it easy with Mojave and all kinds of trouble on the Windows side already sorted out. But I haven’t seen my tweak reported to date, or my specific configuration/build reported. So I hope that it might help people with a configuration similar to my own.

After some intense reading I decided on the Razer Core Pro and the SAPPHIRE NITRO+ AMD Radeon RX Vega 64, 1423 MHz, 8192 MB because I worried about the Nvidia incompatibilities on the Mac side.

When the package arrived it was easy to set up, and worked plug and play on the Mac side.

On Unigine Heaven I got a score of 1082 for working the internal display. I couldn’t get it to work on my 4K LG Ultrafine Display directly from the egpu; as I discovered, that monitor is not really compatible with the graphic accelerator setup (it does work when connected to the Mac). I did get the egpu to work directly on My full HD Samsung TV screen, but there I could not crank the resolution up to the exact specs for the required test. With resolution at 1920x1080 I got a score of 1437.

Then on to the PC-Bootcamp side.

Following the egpu guide:

First I updated my Windows 10 version, and the Intel drivers (Intel driver setup assistant from the Intel website).

• I did NOT do a Winclone backup.
  • I deleted my AMD drivers with DDU software.
  • I installed 'Use apple_set_os.efi' and put it in a custom folder.
    Note: the procedure with selecting the ‘colored circles’ icon, getting a brief flash and then selecting the Windows boot was somewhat densely explained so it wasn’t immediately clear to me.
  • I deactivated PCI X9.
  • Placed several recovery points along the way.
  • Reboot with egpu connected to lower left port: hang on windows screen, repeated restarts, blue screen with elongated letters; boot in safe mode gives recovery options that only work partially; at some point I get Windows to recognize the egpu, AMD driers are downloaded only partially, and I lose track of what’s going on. In the end the system is botched and unrecoverable.
  • Back to an earlier Winclone backup, reinstated successfully, but it means going through the long Windows update etc again.
    So please do a Winclone backup when your system is all updated and ready to go…
  • In the end I landed at the same frustrating point but I succeeded in not botching up the system again (I did do another Winclone just before connecting the egpu…)
  • Then, a comment from eightarmedpet got me thinking: “if it doesn’t work on one port, try another…” I reactivated PCI x9, and plugged in the egpu on the RIGHT side, and it’s recognized! Both right side ports worked, and to confirm I plugged in on the left side: neither port works.
  • Now I downloaded and install the AMD drivers again, reboot, and: Walhalla: card is recognized and active!!
  • To answer eightarmedpet’s question on efpi: I need it, if I don’t use that to boot, the system hangs at the windows screen, and distortion kicks in after a few seconds.
  • Benchmarking gets me somewhat better results than on the Mac side (score 1550, screenshot). Again, I can’t test the external monitor option well because I don’t have a fancy second monitor that will attach to the egpu. But:
  • I’m a happy gamer, can play the games I want (War Thunder, Elite Dangerous, etc) maybe not at the extreme settings, but good enough compared to the Intel Graphics performance, the unit is a brick but mostly purring along (not with the fans blaring all the time)
  • Now I can’t blame the graphics anymore for the fact that I’m losing all the time…
This topic was modified 5 months ago

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
Eightarmedpet
(@eightarmedpet)
Noble Member

Glad my waffling was of use to someone and great to see your set up working.

When did you set all this up? Because I tried the Windows 10 spring update (last update in May) a few weeks back and it didnt like my MBP at all (loads of issues). It was from a clean instal and after starting with an older instal I was only able to get to 1809 with windows updater claiming I wasn't eligible. I checked again over the weekend and my MBP is now eligible so not sure if they have rolled out a new build.

From your write up I do I understand correctly that you connecting the Ultrafine to your MBP not your eGPU? As its USB C rather than the TB3 of the 5K you should be able to hunt out a display port to USB C cable and connect directly - I have a Mooshie (or whatever its called) one I bought for about 80 quid IIRC which didn't work with my 5k but might work with yours if of interest?

I think you are experiencing bandwidth limitations using the right hand ports as they are not as fast as the left - I currently have all ports enabled with my 5K plugged on the right hand side and my eGPU on the left.

Or just enjoy you've got it worked and game away.

Look forward to some hardware pics and congrats again!

2017 13" MacBook Pro Touch Bar
GTX1060 + AKiTiO Thunder3 + Win10
GTX1070 + Sonnet Breakaway Box + Win10
GTX1070 + Razer Core V1 + Win10
Vega 56 + Razer Core V1 + macOS + Win10
Vega 56 + Mantiz Venus + macOS + W10

---

LG 5K Ultrafine flickering issue fix

ReplyQuote
MaartenB
(@maartenb)

Hi eightarmed pet,
Thx for your reply.
Once I get to 5 posts I can upload the pics and the benchmarks...
My LG monitor is 4K, not 5K and as I understood it it doesn't have a full TB-USB-C port connectivity. I tried connecting with a USB-C to HDMI connector cable and nothing happened. Would you think this monitor would work with your cable?
I sort of gave up for now, given the initial difficulty of getting the stuff to work at all.
Also, the Razer is now downstairs with the rest of the setup, so I can hook in my MBP and play in the living room rather than being upstairs the whole evening -- nice for the significant other. 😉
Regarding Win10, I just had a look, and its W10 Educational v 1089, build 17763.529, says it's up to date.
Finally, the left ports didn't work at all (on the Win side, on Mac I can do anything I like, but I'll check to see if performance improves if I use Left), also when I disabled the PCI controllers, so gave up on that, too.
But I guess I'm the first to report success on the RIGHT side, or are you able to connect on that side, too?
Also, is your MBP maxed out with the processor? Mine is, I was guessing that would make a difference, too.

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote