waha
(@waha)
June 22, 2018 12:00 pm  

System specs

• Yoga 920 with i7-8550U, 16GB ram and 512GB SSD
  • Razer Core X
  • MSI GeForce GTX 1060 Gaming X 6GB
  • Windows 10 Professional 1803

Put this together as my old desktop was just collecting dust. Setup was straightforward, started with a clean install of Windows 10 Professional, proceeded to upgrade various firmwares and then handpicked a mix of drivers from Intels site and Lenovos site.

GPU was recognized and drivers were easily installed when it was attached, however I did notice some issues when resuming from sleep if I had the GPU connected to the top left port: wifi would stop working. Wifi card still showed up in Device Manager, but Windows were unable to use it. If I use the second port there aren't any issues.

As I rely on the internal display I can't boot with the GPU attached as the Lenovo EFI disables the integrated graphics and I get stuck with a black screen but I can live with that.

CPU is undervolted a bit with ThrottleStop.

Benchmarks

Unigine Heaven (Extreme preset, but changed to fullscreen): FPS: 50.6, Score: 1274, Min: 8.4, Max: 94.6
Unigine Valley (Extreme HD preset): FPS: 55.4, Score: 2317, Min: 27.2, Max: 104.5
Time Spy: Score: 3764

Closing thoughts

Quite happy with the Lenovo Yoga 920 coming from having used Macbook Pros since 2007. Unsure if I should change the GPU to an AMD one to let me easily use the Razer Core X with my 2017 Macbook Pro, don't feel like going through the hassle of patching things to make eGPU work.

Soon I will add my system & eGPU details or a build link to this my signature to give context to my posts

theitsage liked
ReplyQuote
waha
 waha
(@waha)
September 22, 2018 11:04 am  

Ended up returning the Yoga 920, mostly due to it making creaking sounds when you pressed on the bottom right part of the chassi. I know some people have been able to exchange for new ones but I figured I wouldn't deal with Lenovo support and just used the return period from the store I bought it at to return it.

Soon I will add my system & eGPU details or a build link to this my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
bikemike
(@bikemike)
November 11, 2018 11:03 am  

Hello, I have similar configurations and a problem with running TB, the configuration is: Lenovo 920 (Vibes) + Razer Core v1 + Asus Vega 64. You can write in more detail (step by step) how you managed to run Razer Core

ReplyQuote