Setup & Software Discussions
2018 11-inch MacBook Pro + Aorus Gaming ...

2018 11-inch MacBook Pro + Aorus Gaming Box [email protected] + Ubuntu 18.04.02 +DrEGPU  

RSS

DrEGPU
(@dregpu)
Eminent Member
May 27, 2019 3:33 am  

2018 11-inch MacBook Pro + Aorus Gaming Box [email protected] + Ubuntu 18.04.02 +DrEGPU

System specs
-MacBook Pro 11 inch (early-2011), i5-2415M 2-core, 16GB Ram, 1.0TB SSD
-iGPU Intel HD Graphics 3000 (0.384GB VRAM, LOL!)
-External Monitor: LG 43MU79B 43 inch 4K Monitor
-Linux (Ubuntu 18.04.02 LTS)

eGPU hardware
-Aorus Gaming Box 2070
-Apple TB3-TB1/2 adapter (confirmed to be bi-directional, which is important)

Hardware pictures

setup

Installation steps

Easy and straightforward for the most part. 

1. With everything off, connect the eGPU to the laptop and external monitor. 
2. Turn on machine, log in, check system settings to confirm the OS can "see" the gaming box
3. Install nVidia drivers via terminal:
    3a. Open terminal and type: sudo add-apt-repository ppa:graphics-drivers/ppa
    3b. Type: sudo apt update
    3c. Optional: sudo apt-cache search nvidia lists available packages to install.
    3d. Type: sudo apt install nvidia-driver-430
4. Reboot.
5. Please to enjoy.

Benchmarks

I installed Steam and the only game in my library that was linux compatible was Rise of the Tomb Raider. I started it up and had it run in native 4K resolution. I set everything to highest/max settings! Averaged around 30-40 FPS with occasional drops and visual artefacts, but overall it did much better than I thought it would given the CPU limitations (the game warns/shames you about your CPU before loading). Unigine Superposition and Heaven were on the highest/maxxed settings to really stress the system. 

TRB.small

Unigine Heaven
Superposition Benchmark

Comments 

Getting eGPU's to work in Linux (Ubuntu, at least) is fantastically easy. Much easier than Windows or MacOS, in my opinion. I haven't tested the USB ports on the eGPU yet, but I would guess they work just fine. I'll test that at a later date. This 8 year old laptop is currently driving a 43 inch 4K monitor, which I think is both awesome and kind of hilarious! I guess because there is no dGPU on the 13-inch MBP's, linux has an easy time figuring out Xorg stuff. 

I would also like to take this time to bash Windows and MacOS a little for making deep-learning, machine-learning, AI work needlessly difficult. Aside from being a bit careless on my part, installation of all the tools and libraries were ridiculously easy to do, compared to Win/Mac. For Windows, I kind of understand since Windows is a fundamentally different OS than linux. MacOS on the other hand is essentially BSD running a fancy environment. It's my understanding, the the difficulties on MacOS are a results of business decisions or politics (search for Mojave nvidia drivers and CUDA incompatibility issues). OK, end rant.  [/rant]  

This topic was modified 3 weeks ago

MBP 2018 15 inch + 2X Aorus gaming box 1080 in BootCamp and MacOS 10.13.6
MBP 2011 13 inch + AORUS Gamin Box 2070 on Ubuntu Linux 18.04.02LTS + 4K Monitor

ReplyQuote