2018 13" HP Spectre...

Share:

2018 13" HP Spectre x360 13 + [email protected] (Razer Core X) + Win10 Pro [caesar]  

RSS

caesar
(@caesar)
December 4, 2018 10:24 pm  

Dear all,

as I have benefited from this forum during my hardware selection process, I'd like to share my experience with this community as well.

System Specs

• 2018 Gem Cut HP Spectre X360 13.3''
  • i7-8565U (Whiskey Lake)
  • Intel UHD 620 iGPU
  • 16GB Ram
  • 1TB SSD
  • Windows 10 Pro 10.0.17134
  • TB drivers 17.4.77.x

eGPU hardware

• Razer Core X
  • MSI Nvidia GeForce GTX 1060 X6
  • conntected to external monitor via HDMI
  • stock .5m TB3 cable

Hardware pictures

Installation steps

setup was realy easy and basically plug & play:

• used Windows Update and HP Support Assistant to update BIOS, drivers and software
  • Windows recognized the Razer Core X and GTX 1060 immediately and installed the Nvidia software / control center
  • set eGPU to primary / default GPU in Windows via Nvidia Control Panel

Benchmarks

Comments

so far, I am realy happy with this setup:

• Spectre x360 13 is ultra portable and satisfies my daily needs for mobility and performance
  • eGPU installation was very easy and enables the occasional desire to play some games

I hope this build guides helps other community members.

HP Spectre x360 13 | Razer Core X | MSI Nvidia GeForce GTX 1060 X6

Bryan McGrew
(@bryan_mcgrew)
February 11, 2019 9:33 pm  

Great post! I'm getting the same computer you have and have been looking for an easy setup like yours. I have a few questions. Are you gaming at all on this setup and if yes how are the temperature levels of the actual computer? Also, have you tested it with a longer Thunderbolt 3 cable?

Thank you again for this great write up!

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
stevewmn
(@stevewmn)
February 12, 2019 4:09 pm  

I'm thinking about a very similar set-up. How easy is it to transition from stand-alone laptop mode to using the eGPU?  You said it was plug and play to set-up the GPU but how about going back and forth from laptop to docked mode? Do you need to reboot every time or can you just plug in and out on the fly?

I apologize for the newbie questions.

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
caesar
(@caesar)
February 13, 2019 7:09 pm  
Posted by: Bryan McGrew

Great post! I'm getting the same computer you have and have been looking for an easy setup like yours. I have a few questions. Are you gaming at all on this setup and if yes how are the temperature levels of the actual computer? Also, have you tested it with a longer Thunderbolt 3 cable?

Thank you again for this great write up!

Hi Bryan McGrew,

yes, I am gaming on this setup, some CS as well as PUBG, both running smoothly. No, I have not tried with a longer TB cable. Hope that helps.

Greetings

ReplyQuote
caesar
(@caesar)
February 13, 2019 7:12 pm  
Posted by: stevewmn

I'm thinking about a very similar set-up. How easy is it to transition from stand-alone laptop mode to using the eGPU?  You said it was plug and play to set-up the GPU but how about going back and forth from laptop to docked mode? Do you need to reboot every time or can you just plug in and out on the fly?

I apologize for the newbie questions.

Hi stevewmn,

nothing to apologize for. It is very easy. A reboot is not necessary, the laptop will immediately recognize the TB connection / Razer Core and includig GPU and will also know, when you unplug it. So in short: working on the fly, although I rarely do it.

Greetings

ReplyQuote
(@nate_harms)
March 6, 2019 2:59 am  

Thank you for sharing this, the Spectre + Core X is the exact setup I was leaning toward!  I do have a few questions if you would humor me.

How are you liking the gem cut version of the Spectre?  And it looks like you have the Dark Ash Silver color; are the shiny bits closer to chrome in color or more of a bronze or gold?  Do you find yourself actually using the 45 degree TB3 port, or is it more of a novelty?  Looking at some reviews they say the CPU throttles fairly quickly in synthetic benchmarks, I know it will throttle to some extent, but is it noticeable in real world use?  Or does it seem to get excessively warm while on battery?

Thank You for any insights!

ReplyQuote