Setup & Software Discussions
2018 13" MacBook Pro [8th,4C,U] + RX 580 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Blackmagic eGPU ) + macO...

2018 13" MacBook Pro [8th,4C,U] + RX 580 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Blackmagic eGPU ) + macOS 10.14 & Win10 1903 [aging_product]  

RSS

aging_product
(@aging_product)

System Specs
2018 13" Macbook Pro - Intel i5 8259U/Iris Plus 655 iGPU/16GB RAM/512 SSD

eGpu Hardware
Blackmagic eGpu RX 580
Samsung 4K Monitor UE28590
Samsung T5 SSD (connected to the eGPU)
Mouse, keyboard, and USB ethernet cable connected to eGpu via USB 3.0
HDMI to monitor

Installation Steps

This all works OK on Mac OS as you would expect. 

1) On Windows, go through the standard steps to install Windows via Bootcamp on Macbook. I created the minimum required disk allocation as I am using a TB3 SSD drive.
2) Once installed, go through the process of enrolling to the Windows Insider program then upgrade Windows to the latest 1903 build 18362.1 
3) Boot into Windows, once logged in, plug in the TB3 cable (I used left hand side, the port furthest away from the screen. I haven't tested others). 
4) Open device manager and you will see both the iGPU and also the eGPU with the name 67DF:C0. No error code 12.
5) Both the external and internal displays function. The iGpu seems to mimic the monitor settings when looking at display resolution but doesn't seem to have any material impact. There is also an error code 52 showing on device properties which I haven't looked at yet. 

With external display connected:
Valley Benchmark attached as an image. Overall score of 1812/43.3 FPS on 1080 resolution settings on Extreme HD using external display. I achieved a score of 3144/FPS 75.1 on an ultra custom setting with no anti aliasing in HD.  4K less impressive with a score of 892/FPS 21.3

Rise of the Tomb Raider on 1080 resolution was 29.97 using external display on high settings. 29.97 FPS on medium. This needs further investigation.

Without external display connected (unplug HDMI cable from eGPU)
1) Boot into windows as normal
2) Once logged in, connect TB3 cable to attach eGPU and let windows find the device. 
3) Device 67DF:CO will be listed in device manager. No error code 12. 
4) Error code 31 on the iGPU
5) All USB devices attached to eGPU working as normal.
6) The display resolution is showing as 3360x2100 with no option to change. I had to increase the scaling as some windows were small. 

At this point I started to see different behaviours on Valley performance each time I booted into windows. Sometimes the results were high, other times, they were similar to what I'd expect to see if running from iGPU. 
Adrenalin v 19.3.3 installed. Not able to open the AMD settings. Get an error popup box to say "Radeon settings are currently not available. Please try again after connecting a display to AMD graphics and extending the display"

I plan to work through the details but the key thing it that there is no requirement to work around error 12. The eGpu is behaving better even though there is more to do to get the internal display to use the eGPU consistently. 

Edit: Intel Graphics Driver version is 26.20.100.6602. 
I now get an error code 52 with eGPU connected/disconneted. Availability = offline

I performed some repeat tests with the eGPU disconnected. Valley was circa 25 FPS with eGPU attached and 4 FPS without. Geekbench compute wouldn't work without eGPU attached which suggests Windows can see and use the device. I think I may have to reinstall Bootcamp to resolve the Iris driver error. 

I'll try to attach some photos too.

IMG 2322
IMG 2323
IMG 2321

IMG 2321

gpgpu.png

IMG 2326

Valley test results on Mojave 10.14.4 on Extreme HD settings on my external monitor (a like for like comparison test to Windows Valley score)

IMG 2327

AIDA64 Benchmark on Windows 10 

gpgpu

This topic was modified 5 months ago

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

itsage liked
ReplyQuote
Eightarmedpet
(@eightarmedpet)
Noble Member

This is great to see. Oddly I can’t update my MacBook to the windows insider build. 
Now if only you had a tb3 monitor to test output to that from the eGPU...

2017 13" MacBook Pro Touch Bar
GTX1060 + AKiTiO Thunder3 + Win10
GTX1070 + Sonnet Breakaway Box + Win10
GTX1070 + Razer Core V1 + Win10
Vega 56 + Razer Core V1 + macOS + Win10
Vega 56 + Mantiz Venus + macOS + W10

---

LG 5K Ultrafine flickering issue fix

ReplyQuote
OliverB
(@oliverb)
Noble Member

@aging_product Hot did you get a score of 3144 with a RX580? This is a Vega 56 score. Could you please retry Valley "Extreme HD" without any  change?

2018 15" MBP & 2015 13" MBP connected to RTX2080Ti GTX1080Ti GTX1080 Vega56 RX580 R9-290 GTX680

ReplyQuote
Eightarmedpet
(@eightarmedpet)
Noble Member

OliverB liked
ReplyQuote
OliverB
(@oliverb)
Noble Member

Posted by: Eightarmedpet

@oliverb knew you’d notice this thread... 😉

Yes, I am the benchmark master.

2018 15" MBP & 2015 13" MBP connected to RTX2080Ti GTX1080Ti GTX1080 Vega56 RX580 R9-290 GTX680

ReplyQuote
Eightarmedpet
(@eightarmedpet)
Noble Member

Managed to upgrade to the same build but didn’t have any luck with plugging in once booted - either BSOD or just not recognised. Also issues with my 5k - no sound or peripherals working. 
Windows upgrade also killed my rEFInd instal. 
Argh, back to setting it all up again....

---

ReplyQuote
OliverB
(@oliverb)
Noble Member

Managed to upgrade to the same build but didn’t have any luck with plugging in once booted - either BSOD or just not recognised. Also issues with my 5k - no sound or peripherals working. 
Windows upgrade also killed my rEFInd instal. 
Argh, back to setting it all up again....

It's best to have a fresh Windows Installation. When you get BSOD on plugging you know that something is wrong with your Windows. 
And of course it's good to have images of your windows on a external SSD, so you can always go back.

Important: I never use any tricks/bootloaders/hacks with Windows. It's only necessary with nVidia cards or TB2 Systems on MacOSX. Better use nothing for Windows. I even would say it's mandatory. 

This post was modified 9 months ago

ReplyQuote
Eightarmedpet
(@eightarmedpet)
Noble Member

@oliverb I like to live dangerously #nobackups

Youre set ups may have been easy but mine was not and error 12 was a persistent issue. I tried vanilla windows and it worked with Nvidia cards but AMD + my MacBook model require work arounds.

---

ReplyQuote
OliverB
(@oliverb)
Noble Member

@oliverb I like to live dangerously #nobackups

Youre set ups may have been easy but mine was not and error 12 was a persistent issue. I tried vanilla windows and it worked with Nvidia cards but AMD + my MacBook model require work arounds.

@eightarmedpet, hehe...

I know that your model is more difficult. I got Error 12, too, when hotplugging AMD cards. Always. That's why there is the "uninstall trick".
Anyway I would like that you try Guide B) of my guide and tell me at which point it doesn't work. A BSOD when hotplugging the AMD card the first time?

ReplyQuote
aging_product
(@aging_product)

My bad. I ran the benchmark test in Ultra on custom mode with anti aliasing off. I ran it again using Extreme HD and get a lower result. I will change the pic in my original post.

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote