2018 13" Lenovo ThinkPad Yoga X380 [8th,4C,U] + GTX 1070 @ 16Gbps-TB3 (CM Master...

Notifications
Clear all

2018 13" Lenovo ThinkPad Yoga X380 [8th,4C,U] + GTX 1070 @ 16Gbps-TB3 (CM MasterCase EG200) + Win10 // Vive Cosmos VR  

RSS

Davide 445
(@davide_445)

System specs (model inc screen size, CPU, iGPU, dGPU, operating system which eGPU is being used)

2018 13" Lenovo ThinkPad Yoga X380 [8th,4C,U] i5-8350U, 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD
Win10 20H2
Vive Cosmos VR

eGPU hardware (eGPU enclosure, video card, any third-party TB3 cable , any custom mods)

GTX 1070

Cooler Master MasterCase EG200

Hardware pictures (note: require 5+ posts for "attach files" button to appear. Or can link from say http://imgur.com   BUT post the .jpg/.png image file rather than a link to it)

IMG 20210825 175332
IMG 20210825 165642
IMG 20210825 175928
IMG 20210827 160721

Installation steps (what did you do to get it all going?)

Opened lateral and top panel only (the installation instruction require to open everything but it's not needed), installed the GPU.

Connected TB3 cable (didn't need to connect the USB one if no USB ports are used on the enclosure).

The eGPU was recognized from TB control panel, enabled Connect option.

Needed to wait about 30" before the external monitor was activated trough the eGPU (the first time was thinking the eGPU was not working and restarted it a couple of times before I get the image on the display).

Set to use only external display.

In Device Manager disabled the iGPU (re-enabled before shutting down to use again my laptop alone).

Connected the VR headset DP to the GPU and USB to the laptop.

Benchmarks (Include a CUDA-Z or AIDA64 bandwidth pic. Optional: Valley, 3dmark, noting if it's on internal/external LCD )

The speedup it's simply incredible, as from attached Superposition benchmark before and after.

Superposition Benchmark v1.1 144 1629897113
Superposition Benchmark v1.1 3213 1629900688

It's loosing about 17% performance over median GTX 1070 Superposition 1080 extreme public scores, loosing 6% respect my (bloated) office PC with Ryzen 5 2600x 6c CPU and 64GB RAM.

Next other bench on CUDA-Z, is reaching over 96% of theoretical bandwidth.

Comments (eg: how has the eGPU improved your workflow or gaming)

So far totally silent and the build seems very high quality.

Tested with Viveport app and the Vive Cosmos headset (20GB software to be installed just for this reason, hope VR will become more standardized so to avoid this superposition of unnecessary sw layers), it's working and this is already a huge result, but here the difference with the PC is clearly visible, shuttering and low frame rate was evident, I suspect the laptop SSD disk (90% full) might be a problem. Using it for one hour max so far so can't say about temps, seems the GPU is working fine and disassembling it I didn't noticed too much heat.

Tested with our custom VR safety training application and is working fine, at half the fps respect the project PC (a Ryzen 7 3800x, RTX 3070) but still perfectly usable for a demo.

Since my goal is to have executive demos of concepts and past projects (PC only so not possibile to be shown on autonomous headset as Oculus Quest) I'm not so much concerned about performance, I just need to pass the info about what's possible, still will try to improve the situation if I can.

In two weeks I have the first opportunity to use it in a presentation, in this way I can put the enclosure in my backpack, the VR headset in a trolley and have the demo instead of just showing a video or a remote connection to my office PC on a display. Investing in a gaming laptop or portable SFF PC for the same scope will neeed at least x3 or x4 the cost for a tool that will not be used every week, in this way I can perfectly reuse the components I already have, good for e-waste.

The MasterCase EG200 looks also very professional, a nice plus.

This topic was modified 3 weeks ago
2018 13" Lenovo ThinkPad Yoga X380 [8th,4C,U] + GTX 1070 @ 16Gbps-TB3 (CM MasterCase EG200) + Win10 // Vive Cosmos VR [build link]  

ReplyQuote
Boltoway
(@boltoway)
Estimable Member

@davide_445, Good to see you got your system up and running! I hope it works well for you.

2021 14" Lenovo Yoga Slim 7i Pro (MX450) [11th,4C,H] + RTX 3060 @ 32Gbps-TB4 (AORUS Gaming Box) + Win10 21H1 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
Davide 445
(@davide_445)

Yesterday I have had the demo with €Bil company directors, was working perfectly even better than in my internal tests, no shuttering no missed frames all very smooth. Was also a sort of wow effect since nobody have ever seen something similar.

It's almost to good to be used only for demos.

2018 13" Lenovo ThinkPad Yoga X380 [8th,4C,U] + GTX 1070 @ 16Gbps-TB3 (CM MasterCase EG200) + Win10 // Vive Cosmos VR [build link]  

Boltoway liked
ReplyQuote