2020 13" MacBook Pro [10th,4C,G] + RX 6800 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Razer Core X) + macOS 1...

Notifications
Clear all

[Solved] 2020 13" MacBook Pro [10th,4C,G] + RX 6800 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Razer Core X) + macOS 11.5.2 & Win10 1903  

RSS

Step
 Step
(@step)

I'll keep improving my post as I go along (still need to test more games etc).

System specifications 

eGPU hardware

Hardware pictures

step amdrx6800
step amdrx6800inrazercorex
step radeoninrazercorex
step windows10info

step diablo3macos
step systeminfo

Installation eGPU on MacOS 11.5+

It works out of the box. Just plug and play. No further actions required.

Installation eGPU on Windows 10

I used this build guide from andygev35.

Windows version required: 1903 V1 (version 21H1 at the time of writing did not work)

DDU version used: 18.0.4.2 (11 july 2021)

Radeon™ Software Adrenalin version used: 21.7.2 (27 july 2021)

Steps

1. Download the required Windows (1903 V1) iso version and software (see above).
  2. Use the BootCamp Assistant to install Windows 10. I did not use an internet connecivity (wired or wireless) to ensure no updates were being installed.
  3. After the Windows 10 installation, finish the BootCamp installer which automatically pops up.
  4. Use gpedit.msc to Enable the group policy of Configure Windows Updates. See andygev35's manual for details. The only difference I noticed is that the option after enabling "Configure Windows Updates" is: "2 - Notify for download and auto install".
  5. Also disable Windows Updates through services.msc.
  6. Boot into Safe Mode of Windows 10 (when clicking restart, hold the Shift button).
  7. In Device Manager, disable the bottom 3 "PCI Express Root" ports, disable the iSight HD camera and disable the Iris Plus Graphics adapter.
  8. Run DDU to delete all NVIDIA and AMD drivers and to not allow Windows to install drivers. See andygev35's manual for details.
  9. Reboot and login to Windows 10. The display will feel a bit slow and sluggish due to the disabled Iris Plus Graphics adapter. Don't worry this is normal.
  10. Connect your eGPU and let Windows 10 do its magic.
  11. Install the Radeon™ Software Adrenalin with the additional option of factory reset (which required a restart).
  12. Restart when it asks for it (and don't touch your peripherals/eGPU).
  13. Login to Windows 10 again and let the installer finish.
  14. Your external display and eGPU should magically start to work (you can connect to the internet if you want).
  15. Set the monitor as primary display (my system hung, so I restarted and all was fine).
  16. Go into Safe Mode (shift+restart) and enable the Iris Plus Graphics in Device Manager.
  17. Reboot.
  18. Create a Windows Restore Point... which might be useful later.
  19. Connect wireless keyboard and mouse with bluetooth without issues.

Cold plug the eGPU and Windows 10 will start without issues and the display and eGPU always work as far as I have tried.

Additional comments

I just received the AMD Radeon RX 6800, so I need to use it a bit more to tell you more about it.

MacOS (11.5.2)

It looks like the text rendered through the eGPU on the external monitor is slightly worse than without an eGPU or directly connected to the MacBook Pro. As I only play games using the eGPU it is not a problem for me. However there is also a topic here regarding this issue.

Updated from the previous version MacOS 11.5.1 went fine.

Games:

• When there is no external monitor attached while trying to startup Diablo 3, I've gotten a black screen ingame with only a mouse cursor. The only fix for this was to use an external monitor. The FPS was around 70-120.
  • Total War: SHOGUN 2 (Steam install) ran flawlessly on an average of 110 FPS on Ultra (max) settings and on max resolution (3440x1440) of the external monitor. The MacBook Pro ran in clamshell mode.
  • Also ran Company of Heroes 2 (Steam install) on max resolution (3440x1440) of the MSI monitor on MacOS. The FPS was between 60-80 at max settings. It's ported by Feral Interactive from PC to MacOS, due to being a port, probably why it has less FPS than on Windows. The MacBook Pro ran in clamshell mode.

Windows 10 (1903 V1)

Connected a HyperDrive VIPER 10-in-2 (offtopic: not recommending this for usage with Microsoft Teams or Zoom, due to Ethernet disconnects on MacOS due to Realtek driver issues) while using the eGPU for Ethernet and an external USB SSD drive. My experience is to best cold plug this before you start up Windows 10. I had no disconnects while using this setup whatsoever.

Games:

• Company of Heroes 2 (Steam install) ran beautifully on max resolution (3440x1440) of the MSI monitor. The FPS was between 77-100 at max settings. The RX 6800 was used with a load of 98%.

I'd like to thank @itsage, @andygev35 and @nando4 for making this possible. I wasn't too sure of this but with some experience with Hackintoshes, these guides and this site I was pleased with the result. So thank you all.

This topic was modified 1 month ago

Also having a Mac Mini 2018 i5 32GB 256GB.

2020 13" MacBook Pro [10th,4C,G] + RX 6800 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Razer Core X) + macOS 11.5.2 & Win10 1903 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Founder Admin

@step, Thank you for sharing this build! The 2020 13-in Ice Lake MacBook Pro is one of the more challenging host laptops in Boot Camp but it's well worth the trouble. Enjoy your eGPU!

LinkedIn | Twitter | Facebook | Youtube | Instagram

external graphics card builds
best laptops for external GPU
eGPU enclosure buyer's guide

2021 13" ASUS ROG Flow X13 (RTX3050Ti) [R5K,8C,H] + RTX 3080 @ 64Gbps-XG (XG Mobile) + Win10 20H2 [build link]  

Sean Lou and Step liked
ReplyQuote
Sean Lou
(@sean_lou)

Wow, I mean, it's rarely to see new Build Guide for MacBook Pro 2020 version recently.

I'd like to try this guide again but I have sold out my old 5700XT in an insane price a half year ago due to all kinds of encrypted currency. I'm stiil waiting for new graphic card like 6800 XT or 6900 XT go down to a normal price so I can buy it back. I don't know if your situation is consistent with mine.

Thanks for the tutorial again!

2020 MacBook Pro 13" (4 Thunderbolts)
2.3 GHz Intel Core i7, 32GB RAM
Razer Core X, XFX 5700 XT 8GB

Step liked
ReplyQuote