2018 13" Macbook Pr...

Share:

2018 13" Macbook Pro 2018 + Radeon [email protected] +macOS 10.14.5 PBeta2 & Win 10 1809 [Ningauble77]  

RSS

Ningauble77
(@ningauble77)
Estimable Member
April 15, 2019 8:08 pm  

System Specs:
2018 13" MBPro 16GB/i7/1TB
Sapphire Radeon VII 16GB
MacOS 10.14.5 Public Beta 2
Windows 10 Build 1809

egpu Hardware:
Razer Core v2
HP Spectre 32 32" UHD Display via Displayport
Cable Matters 6' TB3 Cable

Installation Steps:

macOS:
Installed Radeon VII into enclosure, installed MacOS 10.14.5 beta.  On hotplug or  at boot time Radeon VII is detected automatically.  The eject widget is present as normal.  The external display is not currently automatically detected at either boot time or upon initial hotplug.  I have to disconnect/reconnect displayport cable, turn off/on monitor, eject and re-hotplug the egpu, or close the MacBook lid to get the external display detected and working.  I've experienced occasional issues with DisplayPort audio where the sound starts coming from the MacBook speakers instead of my display's headphone jack, and the HP Spectre 32 is missing from the sound control panel, ejecting the egpu and reconnecting it usually fixes this.

Win10:
Used DDU to uninstall existing nvidia drivers from my previous rtx 2080 egpu.  Booted into windows again with no peripherals attached.  Hotplugged the egpu.  Installed latest AMD Adrenalin software (19.4.1).  Radeon VII is yellow banged with event 12.  Radeon Installer asks for reboot, I click ok. 

Next boot, internal display is stuck at windows logo, but external display comes live with login screen.  There is a message about a new system profile asking to reboot again.  Before I can say yes the display goes dark.  I wait a few minutes and force shutdown with the power button.  Subsequent boots into bootcamp with egpu attached at boot works with the internal display disabled on the windows logo, and sleep missing from the windows menu power options.  Otherwise seems fully functional.

Benchmarks:
I've been unable to run Unigine benchmarks in MacOS for mysterious reasons possibly related to the beta OS.  I have run a fair number of benchmarks in Win10.  All benchmarks were run on external display.

AIDA64:

AIDA64

Unigine Valley:

unigine valley R7

3DMark Fire Strike:
https://www.3dmark.com/fs/19027727
3DMark Time Spy:
https://www.3dmark.com/spy/6881572
3DMark Time Spy Extreme:
https://www.3dmark.com/spy/6885390

Comments:  I had been hoping to have an egpu setup that would let me use my MacBook pro as my universal computing device, for MacOS and Windows work and play.  I had been waiting for official nvidia support since Dec 2017 when I had first bought the core v2 and moved over one of my GTX 1080 cards from my desktop.  After 1.5 years of waiting I have given up hope of there being proper nvidia support in Mojave.

The Radeon VII in windows is noticeably slower than the RTX 2080 card I was previously using, but is still acceptable for most of the games I play.  World of Warcraft and Elder Scrolls online are a few fps slower than the RTX, but generally stay above 60fps in non-cpu bottlenecked portions of the game.  Hellblade Senua's Sacrifice is noticeably less smooth than the RTX card but still playable at 4k Ultra settings.  No Man's Sky is borderline playable at 4k with alot of stuttering issues and texture filtering strangeness I did not experience with the 2080.  Forza Horizon Demo gets about 50fps at 4k vs 59fps with the RTX Card.  I've seen lower than normal performance at times due to clocks being stuck at 1350mhz, which is possibly a holdover from a reboot from MacOS, but I have been unable to consistently reproduce this issue.  Loading up hwinfo and confirming that the card is clocking up to 1770mhz or so makes sure I am getting normal performance.

Performance in MacOS games (World of Warcraft/Elder Scrolls Online/Diablo3)  is currently a mixed bag, I am hoping it will improve as the drivers mature and reach an official release.  Power consumption is noticeably lower running the same game in MacOS vs Windows, which makes me think that the beta drivers are running at lower than usual clocks for now.

Sleep behavior in MacOS has been a pleasant surprise.  When I select sleep from the apple menu, after about a minute the egpu powers down and all usb peripherals power off as well.  Then after a short wait they come back on, run for about 30s, then go back to sleep, usually for good. I have seen the enclosure and connected peripherals come back on during sleep once or twice randomly, but this happens on the order of once or twice over a span of several hours for only about 30s or so.

Before my Air conditioner was turned on in the room I have the egpu in, the core V2 has gone into the highest fan-speed state I've seen before while gaming in windows.  The noise was pretty awful.  After setting the room to 72 degrees F, the noise is still loud but no longer sounds like a vacuum cleaner.  The Radeon VII itself is louder than the 2080, but the fans don't have the horrible whine that the Core V2 PSU fans make.

This topic was modified 1 week ago

2018 13 Macbook Pro + Core v2 + Radeon VII Win10 1809/MacOS 10.14.5 Beta
ASUS X99 Deluxe+Core v2 + Radeon VII Win10 1809

goalque and theitsage liked
theitsage
(@itsage)
Famed Member Admin
April 15, 2019 8:55 pm  

@ningauble77 Nice build! If you use @goalque's automate-eGPU EFI, you will be able to keep the iGPU activated booting into Windows. That will prevent the stuck Windows logo on the internal display as well as allow internal display acceleration by eGPU loopback.

Best ultrabooks for eGPU use

eGPU enclosure buying guide

94 external GPU build guides

goalque liked
ReplyQuote
OliverB
(@oliverb)
Noble Member
April 15, 2019 9:13 pm  
Posted by: theitsage

@ningauble77 Nice build! If you use @goalque's automate-eGPU EFI, you will be able to keep the iGPU activated booting into Windows. That will prevent the stuck Windows logo on the internal display as well as allow internal display acceleration by eGPU loopback.

I don't have this macbook model anymore to test, but could it be possible that the "uninstall trick" prevents the internal display to go blick. It prevents it with well the 15-inch 2018 model.

@ningauble77
after hotplugging the eGPU and getting Error 12 you could try to uninstall the eGPU in Device Manager and immediately reboot. Those steps are described in this bootcamp guide under Section C)
You don't have to follow the complete guide. Just boot without eGPU plugged in, hot-plug it and then follow C7 and C8.

This post was modified 1 week ago

2018 15" MBP & 2015 13" MBP connected to RTX2080Ti GTX1080Ti GTX1080 Vega56 RX580 R9-290 GTX680

ReplyQuote
goalque
(@goalque)
Noble Member Admin
April 15, 2019 10:21 pm  

@oliverb For me it didn't change anything. I've the same setup, except Asus XG Station Pro. I wonder why it would be beneficial because the operating system is not aware of the EFI side. Inactivated iGPU results in blinking eGPU monitor (DP-DP connection) too, on login screen. And you've the stuck Windows logo on the internal display.

Works perfectly with automate-eGPU EFI and Multiple displays setting "show only on 2".

automate-eGPU EFIapple_set_os.efi
--
late-2016 13" Macbook Pro nTB + [email protected] (Netstor HL23T) + macOS & Win10
late-2016 13" Macbook Pro nTB + GTX980/[email protected] (Netstor HL23T) + macOS10.13 & Win10

OliverB liked
ReplyQuote
OliverB
(@oliverb)
Noble Member
April 15, 2019 10:36 pm  

@goalque
thank you for this information. Of course, it was only an attempt.

For reasons unknown the internal display gets blacked/stuck on Windows logo on the 15-inch models, too when booting with eGPU plugged in (AMD and nVidia eGPU alike). The "uninstall gpu"-trick solves the issue with those models.
Another important information is that Error 12 is prevented by booting with eGPU plugged in. This works for 2015, 2017 and 2018 MacBooks and 2018 Mac Mini. It would be interesting to know about 2016 and 2014 and earlier models.

2018 15" MBP & 2015 13" MBP connected to RTX2080Ti GTX1080Ti GTX1080 Vega56 RX580 R9-290 GTX680

goalque liked
ReplyQuote
goalque
(@goalque)
Noble Member Admin
April 15, 2019 10:57 pm  

PCIe enumeration is not trivial for eGPUs that have large BARs. Apple has its own algorithm for macOS, and it is much better than what we see in Windows. I found a patent filed by Intel. May be related to their Thunderbolt software for PC laptops and recent Windows 10 versions.

https://patentimages.storage.googleapis.com/9e/5c/d8/4dee1666567b59/US20170185525A1.pdf

"The scalability limitations of resource allocations by the traditional PCI enumeration algorithm is clearly evident in usage scenarios for PCI based SSDs devices (for example, based on NVMe) and in Thunderbolt hierarchies, where these limitations do not allow large/deep hierarchies to be configured. This creates errors where the user is unable to use devices in such configurations. For example, there could be situations where more than 256 PCI based solid state drives need to be connected to a single system or there could be hot-plugged devices such as that for Thunderbolt where the resources reserved for a given portion of the tree are insufficient to configure the hot-plugged Thunderbolt devices. In these scenarios, the traditional PCI enumeration algorithm depletes the scares BDF resource very quickly due to allocation mechanisms such as equally dividing and allocating the available bus numbers among all hot plug capable ports. The traditional approach of using rebalancing to redistribute resources, as discussed earlier, is not suitable for many use cases. The new algorithm proposed in this disclosure addresses these limitations in conjunction with the MPB to significantly improve resource configuration and scalability in such scenarios."

--
late-2016 13" Macbook Pro nTB + [email protected] (Netstor HL23T) + macOS & Win10
late-2016 13" Macbook Pro nTB + GTX980/[email protected] (Netstor HL23T) + macOS10.13 & Win10

OliverB liked
ReplyQuote
OliverB
(@oliverb)
Noble Member
April 15, 2019 11:20 pm  

I have been guessing since long ago, that recent Versions of Windows 10 allocate the PCIe resources much better for eGPUs then they did before. (Yet not as good as MacOSX though). Something must have changed as I found several builds where users had issues I could not reproduce with the exact same hardware.

ReplyQuote
goalque
(@goalque)
Noble Member Admin
April 16, 2019 3:53 pm  
Posted by: OliverB

I have been guessing since long ago, that recent Versions of Windows 10 allocate the PCIe resources much better for eGPUs then they did before. (Yet not as good as MacOSX though). Something must have changed as I found several builds where users had issues I could not reproduce with the exact same hardware.

Windows respects ACPI tables in the firmware during the boot. This hasn't changed recently but what is changed is the firmware. Apple saw our workarounds and now the "Large Memory" in the Device Manager comes by default with new Macs. That helps a lot in most cases but it is still a workaround.

Intel's Thunderbolt software doesn't help with Mac firmwares. AFAIK, it is the key element in PCIe resource allocation on Windows PCs, when you hot plug the device. The D3 is the lowest power state of the device, for example when you put a computer to sleep or a surprise removal occurs.

https://downloadmirror.intel.com/26486/eng/Thunderbolt%20Release%20Notes.pdf

Added support for Windows* 10 RS3 Native PCIe Enumeration ("Native Express" mode) and Selective Suspend (RTD3) state.

This post was modified 1 week ago

--

OliverB liked
ReplyQuote