2018 13" MacBook Pro [8th,4C,U] + RX 580 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Razer Core X) + macOS 11....

Notifications
Clear all

2018 13" MacBook Pro [8th,4C,U] + RX 580 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Razer Core X) + macOS 11.1 & Win10 2004 [JokerOnMBP]  

RSS

JokerOnMBP
(@jokeronmbp)

Hey there :),

I have been studying some guides on eGPU.io that helped me in making a decision on whether or not to invest in an eGPU setup to boost my gaming and productivity. I found some useful information on possibly stable setups and possible solutions to issues. Now, I wanted to share my feedback on my setup with you. 

System specs 

I am using a 2018 13'' Macbook Pro with 4 TB ports, a Touchbar and an Intel i5 2.3 GHz Quad-Core Processor. It has 8GB of Ram, an integrated GPU (Intel Iris Plus Graphics 655) and runs macOS Big Sur.

Furthermore, I have it on an twelve south elevated stand to help with air circulation and to be on a similar height with my external monitor. My external monitor is an LG 27UL850-W. I mostly use this setup with a closed lid, so only using the LG monitor. I connect my MBP to the monitor directly via USB-C if I do not need the eGPU. Thus, an annoying task is to manually switch inputs from USB-C to HDMI if i switch to my eGPU and plug it to my MBP.

I am using the Razer Core X with an RX 580 as an eGPU.

No issues with my bluetooth headphones, my wireless magic mouse and apple keyboard (both via bluetooth as well) on macOS and Windows.

On Windows to game, I use a hub which works fine with my wired gaming keyboard, external SSD holding my steam library and gaming mouse. I use a second Thunderbolt 3 port on my mac on windows for the eGPU, I do not have the eGPU plugged into the HUB. I use a cable to prevent latency with my headphones.

eGPU hardware 

eGPU enclosure: Razer Core X (bought it used) 

Video Card: Saphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 580 8GB VRAM (on the higher manufacturer OC around 1.4 GHz and also bought used)

HDMI cable was default for my monitor and the TB3 is an 0.5 meter default with the Razer Core X.

Hardware pictures 

Can not post hardware pictures yet. I need some more posts first. Will post my macOS and Windows setup then.

Installation steps 

macOS was plug and play. Hot-plugging and cold-plugging worked right away.

Windows is a different story. Still, nearly plug and play. My installation process was basically:

1. Started into Windows after the default Bootcamp installation on an 50GB partition on my internal SSD.

2. Hot-pluged the eGPU to the lower left port closest to the "TAB" key (already installed my GPU to the enclosure and connected my external monitor via HDMI to the GPU). Windows automatically started downloading drivers, but not the most recent. After successful installation I received an error 12 in the device manager, but it was showing the RX 580.

3. Restarted my system with the eGPU plugged in. To prevent the Windows Logo I did the following: Start the system, press and hold "option" when the apple logo appeared, choose "Windows" in the default bootmenu and right after clicking enter, confirming my selection, close the lid of my MBP. This kept my monitor off for every boot since.

4. eGPU was running, iGPU disabled. I still had to go to device manager and click on the RX 580 and search for more recent updates. Installed the most recent drivers available. Restarted as described in step "3.".

5. Now, everything was finished, working fine when cold-plugging and I only did non mandatory setup procedures. Tried to fix error 12 when hot-plugging but had no luck. I do run all games from an external SSD as mentioned connected to a HUB. eGPU worked and performance was great (also compared to "bootcampdrivers.com" in for example "Counter Strike: Global Offensive" and "League of Legends" it was similar, so I did not use BCD.com).

Benchmarks 

None. If you are interested in specific ones and there is not monetary cost created for me using the benchmark software I can test it for you.

Comments 

I did not do conventional benchmarks. I have high FPS in CS:GO on my competitive setting (1024 x 760 and most settings on low) with an average of 350 in an unofficial benchmark. Other games run way more fluent now, like Squad, AOE2:DE and LoL. I can use the eGPU on macOS for machine learning and movie rendering at a higher speed (especially matrix algebra and alike). Unfortunately, a big issue I have with this build is on Windows while trying to launch Battleye games. These do not work, but do if I run these games without Battleye (e.g. DayZ offline which is lame imho ;)). By do not work I mean a hard system failure, a BSOD usually featuring a KERNEL_SECURITY_CHECK_FAILURE and alike.

HELP (ME)

I offer a little incentive to the person that can help me fix that Battleye/DayZ error. Already contacted their official support, but I have little hope. Might create a post about that topic in the forum here. I have tried a lot already, like not using the HUB, changing drivers, etc. If you are intersted I can also hand you out the minidump files.

Update: Was able to resolve the issue at last. It was created through driver conflicts. I completly reinstalled my windows setup. With this new and clean setup I also followed the steps above without major issues. (Minor weird though, like a hidden external ssd etc.)

Thanks for reading and have luck with your setup.

Best

Felix alias JokerOnMBP

This topic was modified 2 months ago
2018 13" MacBook Pro [8th,4C,U] + RX 580 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Razer Core X) + macOS 11.1 & Win10 2004 [build link]  

nando4 and mr.ribeiro liked
ReplyQuote