2018 13" MacBook Pro [8th,4C,U] + RX 5700 XT @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Mantiz Venus) + macOS 10.14.6 + Win10 1903 [badtz]
- 2018 13" Macbook Pro – i5-8259U/Iris Plus Graphics 655 iGPU/8GB RAM/512GB SSD
- Mantiz Venus MZ-02 + Powercolor Red Devil 5700 XT + .5m Thunderbolt 3 cable + LG 22" 1080 external monitor
- Windows version 1903-18362.295
- DDU, restart
- Open device manager (Command-X), under System Devices disable PCI Express Root Port #3 - 9DBA
- Connect egpu, install AMD v.20.1.2 (bootcampdrivers.com)
- When finished, display adapter would show AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT(code 43). Just close everything, don't launch your AMD software just yet. Shut down computer.
- Disconnect thunderbolt cable, power cycle external gpu enclosure. (I unplugged all cables from the enclosure for 2 minutes)
- Turn on windows, turn on the external gpu. Connect Macbook to egpu.
- When everything connect, reenable PCI Express Root Port #3
- The next time you reboot, you dont need to disable the PCIE. Just hotplug and it would connect.
Here are some benchmarks:
- I tried this procedure several times. When I installed AMD drivers with PCIE #3 enable, I got issues like BSOD or computer hang/crashed. I think it is best to install AMD drivers while disabling the PCIE Port #3
- I’m still on Mojave 10.14.6. I am holding off upgrading to Catalina since there are many users had some issues with it. Should I just upgrade now?
I ll try your steps on Catalina tonight
I ll use me A setup
I managed to get it done.
On W10 1903 v1 .295
I disabled pci port 9
Run the setup of amd downloaded drivers 20.1.1
The card was identified and asked for restart. Restarted and boom it works with ext display
Main Display shows the windows sign.
I’m glad you managed to sort it out. You disabled PCI port #9 to get it working. I wonder if it’s because your 2018 13 Macbook Pro has the 2.7 Ghz i7 version instead of i5 2.3 Ghz. You can read itsage’s build here for further explanation about the PCI Express port for 2018 13 Macbook Pro.
Don’t forget to manually create Restore point in case something goes wrong and disable your auto updates.
Tried disabling port 3 on my w10 1803 but it did not work.
then I put the w10 1903 and tried the steps from that guide that recommends to disable port 9.
setting a restore point and making sure that there are are no updates are my next steps.
Hi, sorry for late reply.
the 375w is used just for the gpu. It is more than enough to power 5700xt. The minimum system power requirement (700w for Red Devil 5700XT) is meant for total power consumption of your computer system (CPU,GPU, fan, etc)
You dont need to upgrade the power supply. It just works out of the box.
Mantiz Venus has been out of stock for quite a while now. I got mine last November from amazon US. Since then it is not available yet (who knows when). If you are planning to get an external gpu enclosure soon, you might want to read reviews in buyer's guide section. I am not familiar with Europe netherlands market so I can’t be of help for this. Amazon germany/france has some egpu enclosure available like Sonnet or Razer Core. Those two are great options.
What system/laptop are you going to pair it with?