2018 13" Macbook Pr...

Share:

2018 13" Macbook Pro Touchbar + [email protected] + 10.14.4 + Win10 [firemike]  

RSS

(@firemike)
April 1, 2019 2:01 am  

System specs
2018 13" Macbook pro with 4 Thunderbolt 3 ports with the 8259U + 8gb RAM + 512GB SSD.

eGPU hardware
Mantiz Venus with the stock PSU taken out and replaced with an external RM650x. The PSU came from a past build, and is fantastic for this application since it sits hidden behind the Mantiz and the fan never needs to spin, making for a completely silent PSU with enough horsepower to drive a vega 64 later down the line whenever i decide to upgrade. Right now the Mantiz is housing a MSI Armor RX 580 4gb which is enough for playing esports games in Windows 10 at 3440x1440 100hz at medium.

I also replaced the internal 80mm fan with a Noctua 80mm fan since I heard reports that the stock one was noisy. I never actually used the Mantiz with the stock PSU and fan, so I can't comment on how loud those are. 

Internal hardware pictures 

https://imgur.com/gallery/a8mkgNa - gorgeous from the front, mess of cables hidden behind the enclosure itself but thats a price im more than willing to pay for silence in the PSU.

Installation steps

Took quite a while to take apart the Mantiz since there are approximately a million screws in the thing, but after unscrewing most of then i had easy access to all the components and could install all my mods. The Noctua fan blocks two screws that the original 15mm fan didn't, so I had extra screws laying around.

In terms of software, MacOS is obviously flawless and on the Windows side I simply followed the instructions on bootcampdrivers, set the default boot to bootcamp in macos, and keep the lid closed during bootup. With this method, I boot into windows flawlessly every time! 

Comments 

The Mantiz Venus with my mods is simply incredible. Quiet, cool, and houses all 8 of my USB devices, Ethernet, a 500gb SATA ssd, 65W of power, and my GPU through ONE CABLE into my laptop. It's simply an incredible feeling to plug just one cable into your laptop and have your entire setup light up and start working. In macOS, I use the mantiz to accelerate final cut and act as a TB3 hub mostly. In windows, I can play esports games (CS, RL, Fortnite) at 3440x1440 100hz at low-medium settings with no issues at all. Love and highly recommend this setup to anyone considering it. 

w2vDnVr

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

theitsage and OliverB liked
Eightarmedpet
(@eightarmedpet)
Noble Member

firemike and OliverB liked
ReplyQuote
OliverB
(@oliverb)
Noble Member
April 1, 2019 9:58 am  
Posted by: Eightarmedpet

Wow, crazy simple set up for both os... is you igpu still enabled in windows? Assume you just leave everything plugged in?

Yes, another example that there is no need for disabling ports, wireless lan or other stuff. Especially not for the 13-inch 2018 model. Compare to Another 13-inch 2018 Build!

2018 15" MBP & 2015 13" MBP connected to RTX2080Ti GTX1080Ti GTX1080 Vega56 RX580 R9-290 GTX680

firemike liked
ReplyQuote
(@firemike)
April 2, 2019 12:56 am  

iGPU appears to be disabled in Windows. Yep, extremely easy on both platforms. No need for reFIND or custom EFI or anything. Install the drivers and off to the races!

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
Eightarmedpet
(@eightarmedpet)
Noble Member

ReplyQuote
theitsage
(@itsage)
Famed Member Admin
April 2, 2019 1:29 pm  

If you don't need the internal graphics card working then this build is a simple way to set up and use eGPU in Boot Camp with certain Macs. Without the use of a third-party boot loader, the presence of an eGPU at boot would deactivate iGPU/dGPU in operating systems other than macOS. Timed hot-plug is another technique to delay connecting the eGPU so that Apple firmware would keep the iGPU/eGPU activated.

Best ultrabooks for eGPU use

eGPU enclosure buying guide

94 external GPU build guides

ReplyQuote